Too many cymbals?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I've got a couple different setups:
Rock: 18" & 20" Giant Beat Multis, 14" 2002 SE Hats, 22" Signature Reflector Bell Ride

Jazz: 20" Signature Traditional Medium Light Ride, 14" Hats of the same series; 18" Signature Traditional Medium Crash

I may add a 21" Masters Dry Ride and 22" Masters Swish to that jazz mix as well, or swap the hats for 15" Sabian HHX Medium Complex Hats.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always add Boom Stands!
The reason I got the rack was to get rid of the clutter from all the stands. I've got like 10 stands folded up in the closet. And I think I'm through with adding cymbals, LOL!

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My opinion.
If you're not moving the kit around, set up as many cymbals as you want. Why not?
Playing gigs, you're dealing with stage floor space and hauling extra gear.
For live, I limit myself to hats, ride, three crashes, and a small china.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
2537C409-A074-4A61-BE00-9D4A8BA6AA82.jpeg

Left to right:
14” zildjian master sound hi hats
18” meinl byzance dual crash
19” paiste formula 602 Modern Essentials crash
12” meinl classics custom trash splash
10” zildjian A custom splash
20” 80s Zildjian rock ride
22” meinl byzance thin jazz ride (I use it as a crash)
21” Meinl Mike Johnston signature transition ride
16” meinl byzance dry China

There can never be too many cymbals

Ralph27

Reaction score
And I just added some New Beat Hollow logo hats! No reason why I can't be my own orchestra!

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
** in a 3piece punk garage-rock band,
with a drum kit the size of Terry Bozzio's with a gang of cymbals **

At That point, pull the plug, thou must. :icon_e_biggrin:

On a serious note:
I never imagined "too many cymbals"
would ever be in a drummer's vocabulary...

...Butt, here we are. :icon_mrgreen:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok the bottom
NOT AT ALL!!!
View attachment 504878
View attachment 504879
View attachment 504880
View attachment 504881
And there is still one waiting for its remote stand, a third Hihat, on the right side of the red cow bell, for the Meinl Byzance Foundry Reserve Hat. 30 on the kit in total, I own 34. So, now, as I cannot put a single one, I will stop, I might sell the AVEDIS 70's as they are too heavy for my taste!!!
The bottom pic what is that thing the cymbal is mounted silver capsule looking thing? I’ve seen them on Eric Moore’s and have no idea what they are

Quai34

Reaction score
Are you talking about the CRS? Cymbal resonance system. I had some sympathetic vibrations, like a low "hum" all the time when I was hitting the cymbals that were in the rack, so, someone on this website talked to me about it and ,done, problem solved:

And my cymbals have never sounded that good since then, I still need 2 or 3 more for some extra cymbals that I have attached to the rack after having set up the first cymbals and maybe on my big rides....Just have to make sure I can because it takes some space so, you have to lower even more the arm of the stand.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d like to think too many cymbals at once is more of he issue than too many cymbals. I have some options, but I stick with Zildjian. Any other/additional brands (besides a couple of outliers) and I’d be down an unnecessary rabbit hole. I keep some different sizes and weights. That’s mostly how I think of it, whether it’s a vintage piece or something current. Like do I want to bring the heavy ride or do I want to crash something.

I’d get bored with one set, even though I should be able to change sounds from touch, sticks, etc.