Too Soon? Portnoy Playing Rush Songs on Toy Drums Seems Disrespectful

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I normally like this kind of thing, but I just didn’t find Portnoy to be at all funny as he attempts to bash out Neil Peart songs on a terrible toy drum set.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly....

I don’t feel much about Mike Portnoy one way or the other regardless of what he may or may not be doing or on what.

Ironically it demonstrates just how much class Neil had as a player and a human being. Head and shoulders above most other “rockstars”.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Honestly I liked the video. It shows humor. And Portnoy was a huge Neil Peart fan. I believe this video displays Mike Portnoy in a more human manner, and for that reason I actually enjoyed it more than possibly any other Mike Portnoy videos. I think sometimes people could lighten up a bit--I'm sure he meant no disrespect. Still, I didn't watch the whole thing!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Some in this world are Men or at least aspire to be and then there is a whole class that never progressed past the juvenile stage, playing video games, watching the Simpsons, wearing Chuck Taylors and concert Ts.

This class of Male you just ignore.
I'm a wuss for watching The Simpsons? Now I know!

Nubs

Reaction score
Some in this world are Men or at least aspire to be and then there is a whole class that never progressed past the juvenile stage, playing video games, watching the Simpsons, wearing Chuck Taylors and concert Ts.

I take offense to this. I play video games, watch the Simpsons, and wear rock T-shirts. Just because you don't do those things doesn't mean those who do aren't "Men".

Gatekeep somewhere else ass.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Got it. I should have stopped enjoying things I enjoy once I graduated from college and got a real adult job.

Last edited:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I should be so lucky to have people make satire of my work. It's the highest form of appreciation in my opinion.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this. I mean it's no secret that Neil was a huge influence on portnoy's playing. And that they were friends, so I dont think mike would try to be disrespectful. And in his own way I'm sure Neil would find some humor in this, as anybody whose read any of Neil's books knows that he has a strange sense if humor. However I do feel that if portnoy had done a drumming tribute on a regular size kit it wouldn't feel disrespectful but more appropriate.

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

I typed this on the toilet.

Latest posts