Tool! I’m not a huge fan BUT...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I found this video fascinating. Danny Carrey obviously is a monster but what I found fascinating is how he plays for the song. I can’t figure what is going on time wise but I’ve read they don’t break it down when they’re writing it but their tightness is unquestionable.

His set up is very interesting and again, it is ergonomically correct for him and the music he's playing.

Nubs

Reaction score
Yup seen this video numerous times. I am both amazed by his playing and jealous wishing I could play a fraction that well.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of Tool since they released Lateralus. That album got me into all of their music. I think they get a bad rap from unfamiliar audiences who dismiss them as artistically odd, or as just a heavy rock band. Their earlier work is certainly more direct and heavy, but their last three albums are much more psychedelic, introspective and analytical with massive rock tones acting as the glue. They're all incredible musicians and play very complex-but-appropriate parts. Danny Carey's work on Lateralus has to be some of the best recorded drum work ever, both in terms of complexity, sound and application. On that album, he does so many things that are clearly based in his practice routines, but he somehow applies them in musically appropriate ways that are just killer. The breakdowns from The Grudge (like at ~1:13) are clearly a double bass/subdivision exercise that everyone practices but you never hear it applied musically. Maynards vocals can seem very aggressive, but if you hang in there for a bit, its clear he's a really nice singer.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the band a lot, but need to be in the mood to listen to them. That video was fantastic! I can't follow the time on many of their songs, and if I'm not mistaken they have some that change time signatures every couple measures. They are definitely a band that is out there on their own in what they do. Great stuff, thanks for posting!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not much knowledge but this was pretty good!

What's that drum about 6:35 in....to the right and like a tabla sound?

Freewill3

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of Tool since they released Lateralus. That album got me into all of their music. I think they get a bad rap from unfamiliar audiences who dismiss them as artistically odd, or as just a heavy rock band. Their earlier work is certainly more direct and heavy, but their last three albums are much more psychedelic, introspective and analytical with massive rock tones acting as the glue. They're all incredible musicians and play very complex-but-appropriate parts. Danny Carey's work on Lateralus has to be some of the best recorded drum work ever, both in terms of complexity, sound and application. On that album, he does so many things that are clearly based in his practice routines, but he somehow applies them in musically appropriate ways that are just killer. The breakdowns from The Grudge (like at ~1:13) are clearly a double bass/subdivision exercise that everyone practices but you never hear it applied musically. Maynards vocals can seem very aggressive, but if you hang in there for a bit, its clear he's a really nice singer.

I bought Lateralus the day it came out, listened to this song on the way home. I pulled into my garage waiting for the end - I screamed out loud! Always respected these guys for their original sound too which is not easy among all the heavier bands out there.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny you should bring them up. I'm listening to 'em now. Yes Danny Carey is a monster player. I first heard about 'em about seven years ago, or so. I had a hard time getting my hands on their newest CD.

I say them in concert a few months ago and was very impressed. My girlfriend wished that we had brought her daughter, who has been playing drums for about five years, so she could see/hear Danny's playing.

When I get time I'll watch the video.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as time, you can't find a more solid drummer. He IS the time-keeper. I've dug on TOOL since the beginning. Honestly, one of the reasons I like TOOL so much. . .while in college there was a local "tri-state" type band named Almost Noah. And the band was EXCELLENT! The singer sounded just like Maynard, Jim Morrison, whomever he wanted. And the drummer was SPOT ON. Seeing Sober performed live (even though it wasn't TOOL) added to the fascination.

Danny Carey is one of the best in the business.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think if Neil Peart and Rush never happened, Tool wouldn't have happened.. or at least they'd be a lot different than they are.

Many bands can draw a fairly direct lineage to Rush.

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think if Neil Peart and Rush never happened, Tool wouldn't have happened.. or at least they'd be a a lot different than they are.

Many bands can draw a fairly direct lineage to Rush.
Carey is a Peart fan, for sure, but he's stated many times before being more influenced by Bill Bruford/King Crimson, Lenny White/Return to Forever, etc. Tool would have happened, regardless of Rush's existence.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
It's always cool to see a guy who plays arenas also playing in the sort of venues I would be playing in.
I loved that the sax player was showing Danny where one was...Like he didn't already know,Geez.. It's Danny fricken Carey...

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor player. His signature snare drum was one of the worst drums the company ever made; he doesn't even use it. Was a lame attempt to recapture the 590.