header.nohb.html

Tool's Danny Carey arrested for assault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Unfortunately this will define him more than it should."

Do we all really think it's acceptable that DFO members have been aiding this unfortunate fact?
Not a commentary upon that specific event

but Missouri and Kansas basketball game is a huge rivalry that hasn’t happened in a while since Missouri went to the SEC

Lots of imbibing going on at the old Allen field house lol

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
A general reflection on people that pull the “Do you know who I em” card; or put another way -

“I’m better then you but you don’t seem to realize that.”

“Human beings are inherently arrogant, greedy and egocentric. Many of us wake up each day forgetting we are not immortals and that no matter the hefty wealth or immense talent, we will go to wherever it is that people finally go with nothing more than what we were born with.

Most of the people who throw to the table this question are really ‘nothing’, except that they are self-regarding and it therefore hurts their ego that others have not yet bought into their scam of superiority.

Those with deserving titles hate to be called with their titles—and yet, those who are not worthy of whatever they claim to have, know or have in their possession, insist that they are acknowledged in that light.

For the well educated, the ‘do you know who I am’ syndrome has no place in their lives and though accumulation of wealth remains a priority of every human being, the most intelligent and deep thinkers would try not to uncaringly step on the toes of others so to achieve their goals.

We live in a world where assets and wealth determine how high people are treated—-no matter how these people came to own these things. I’ve had some arrogant people ask me; ‘do you know who I am’ in the past—and mostly, I say to them; I know you are a human being who will die and be thrown under the ground one day.

It’s beautiful to meet someone and without knowing who the person is—and the person not pulling all strings to let know you know who she is; you later find out that she is one great achiever in whatever field you respect.

That humbles you—and serves as the greatest way to be impressed.

But you would hardly catch this scenario ever happening these days with the increasing loudness of those who have not yet ‘arrived’—forgetting that the need to remind others and yourself who you are all the time is a disease aka ENTITLEMENT.

For others, this goes beyond the usual noise and bragging into ‘the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of their own attributes’—a different layer of the disease called NARCISSISM.

Anytime someone throws at you the line or anything close to; ‘do you know who I am’, condition yourself to accept that; the person is not really anything and insolently say your worse to him or her. The only way to deal with such people is to hurt their ‘gold plated’ egos.

The world would be a better place without such individuals…”

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
A general reflection on people that pull the “Do you know who I em” card

“Human beings are inherently arrogant, greedy and egocentric. Many of us wake up each day forgetting we are not immortals and that no matter the hefty wealth or immense talent, we will go to wherever it is that people finally go with nothing more than what we were born with.

Most of the people who throw to the table this question are really ‘nothing’, except that they are self-regarding and it therefore hurts their ego that others have not yet bought into their scam of superiority.

Those with deserving titles hate to be called with their titles—and yet, those who are not worthy of whatever they claim to have, know or have in their possession, insist that they are acknowledged in that light.

For the well educated, the ‘do you know who I am’ syndrome has no place in their lives and though accumulation of wealth remains a priority of every human being, the most intelligent and deep thinkers would try not to uncaringly step on the toes of others so to achieve their goals.

We live in a world where assets and wealth determine how high people are treated—-no matter how these people came to own these things. I’ve had some arrogant people ask me; ‘do you know who I am’ in the past—and mostly, I say to them; I know you are a human being who will die and be thrown under the ground one day.

It’s beautiful to meet someone and without knowing who the person is—and the person not pulling all strings to let know you know who she is; you later find out that she is one great achiever in whatever field you respect.

But you would hardly catch this scenario ever happening these days with the increasing loudness of those who have not yet ‘arrived’—forgetting that the need to remind others and yourself who you are all the time is a disease aka ENTITLEMENT.

For others, this goes beyond the usual noise and bragging into ‘the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of their own attributes’—a different layer of the disease called NARCISSISM.

Anytime someone throws at you the line or anything close to; ‘do you know who I am’, condition yourself to accept that; the person is not really anything and insolently say your worse to him or her. The only way to deal with such people is to hurt their ‘gold plated’ egos.

Yes, but....being drunk has a way of bringing out the worst in people. And I don't fully subscribe to the idea that alcohol simply lets the true personality come out. It can, but there are a lot of people who it just changes their thoughts and actions to that of a different person. I think it's unfair to assume he's got the "do you know who I am" card ready to play, but is normally able to hold himself back from using it.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, but....being drunk has a way of bringing out the worst in people. And I don't fully subscribe to the idea that alcohol simply lets the true personality come out. It can, but there are a lot of people who it just changes their thoughts and actions to that of a different person. I think it's unfair to assume he's got the "do you know who I am" card ready to play, but is normally able to hold himself back from using it.

Alcohol reduces one’s inhibitions and with the guard rails off, the true self appears.

Alcohol is not an excuse in any situation.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave him alone!
D78A5A47-9461-47C1-B661-E198A102922C.jpeg

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A general reflection on people that pull the “Do you know who I em” card; or put another way -

Just what I was going to say Frank,but you said it better ....much better

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't want to be too hard on anyone. Just think posting that video on a public forum is shaming, even if that wasn't the intention. Don't like seeing this on my beloved DFO where us drummers excel in supporting each other. I'm not supporting bad behaviour but absolutely supporting the man and fellow drummer!
Drummers like Danny Carey have to be prepared to take the chunky with the smooth. There's the stellar heights of being voted the Noodly-Doodly Drum King as well as the embarrassment of slurring "Do You Know Who I Am?" on TMZ.com.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score

I agree with most of this and I too cringed at Carey's behavior especially the name dropping.

But, having been involved recently in an incident at work with a honest-to-goodness narcissist that really got ugly, real ugly and I was shocked at some of the behavior that I witnessed (and it's tough to get a reaction out of me sometimes).

So having said that I think narcissism is really an extreme that should be reserved for classic cases - like Charles Mansion or a former ex-President whom will remain un-named as not to trigger a political urinating contest.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree that it is not an excuse, but I still disagree that everything we see from an intoxicated person is a reflection of their true self.
Not necessarily an accurate reflection of the entirety of their true self, but a facet of that self is revealed by the intoxication. I don’t think alcohol makes anyone do anything, it allows them to do something that they had a capacity to do.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was single my litmus test to tell how physco a woman really is was Vodka .

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree that it is not an excuse, but I still disagree that everything we see from an intoxicated person is a reflection of their true self.
For the record, Squirrel Man is a happy drunk.

No beer muscles here, my bar buddies from decades ago nicknamed me "the kissing bandit" because I got all lovey-dovey after too many.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of heavy philosophical thoughts on a drunken rock & roll drummer. It used to be expected...

Status
Not open for further replies.