Tool's Danny Carey arrested for assault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahah

@ JDA

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that this thread needs another opinion - but I watched all the linked videos and read the article (for some reason) and if there is any un-called for power tripping going on in my interpretation its the cops. I'm sure DC did something dumb to trigger the situation, but from there its just them exerting their dominance. They have him up against the glass off balance, he's pretty clearly intoxicated and stumbles a bit, and they start yelling that he's "resisting arrest"? This seems all too familiar.

I'm generally very pro law enforcement and am not a Tool fan or that knowledgeable about DC, but he shows up at his old school to support the school band, laughs his way through the announcement that he's the "26th greatest drummer of all time", takes direction from the band director on how to play/solo, and they're not even playing one of his songs? I'm not seeing any attitude here. Yeah he pulled the "I'm famous" card to try and de-escalate the situation at the airport once it started, but otherwise this seems like a play I've seen too many times.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
In my state I guess that technically could've been assault and battery... maybe... if you really stretch it. Other dude definitely should've gotten 2:00 for instigating and 2:00 for embellishment. I don't know how that works outside of hockey though.

I've seen a lot worse with no repercussions so I'm more confused as to how any of this is a thing or a story at all.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my state I guess that technically could've been assault and battery... maybe... if you really stretch it. Other dude definitely should've gotten 2:00 for instigating and 2:00 for embellishment. I don't know how that works outside of hockey though.

I've seen a lot worse with no repercussions so I'm more confused as to how any of this is a thing or a story at all.

Is there video of the actual "assault" he was arrested for? I must have missed it if there is.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score

It's a thing only because he's well known. Otherwise, no one would care.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have him up against the glass off balance, he's pretty clearly intoxicated and stumbles a bit, and they start yelling that he's "resisting arrest"? This seems all too familiar.

I've never been so drunk that I didn't know that anything other than my full and enthusiastic cooperation would be considered resisting arrest. Thankfully I've never had the cuffs put on me, but I KNOW severe discomfort is coming my way if I start pulling my hand away. Danny Carey is a big dude, and drunk. Any movement he makes is likely to be a lot to handle for any officer trying to cuff him.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt, and no real disagreement there. I have no doubt he created the situation, and during the whole thing when he babbling his way through the discussion and getting too close to the officers - that's not helping. But when they have him up against the wall, right before the "resisting" comment, you can see officer on the right stick his left foot on the left side of his feet, while also leaning on him from the right, which is ultimately what sends him reeling. Not saying it was intentional, just saying there was a bit more drama than what I would think necessary or professional from both sides in this.

I've been on both sides of this. I've witnessed situations in my community where law enforcement officers display a level of restraint and professionalism that is beyond admirable. It's generally led me to be quite supportive and offer the benefit of the doubt. I've also witnessed and unfortunately been a part of some seriously manipulative situations, where small issues were escalated by the police for no other reason than to demonstrate "who's the boss". A lot of comments in this thread were towards DC playing the I'm famous card and the distaste that comes with that. I don't like it either, I'm just offering that he wasn't the only one.

That's my TMZ and drama quota for the day. Carry on.

I've never been so drunk that I didn't know that anything other than my full and enthusiastic cooperation would be considered resisting arrest. Thankfully I've never had the cuffs put on me, but I KNOW severe discomfort is coming my way if I start pulling my hand away. Danny Carey is a big dude, and drunk. Any movement he makes is likely to be a lot to handle for any officer trying to cuff him.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't see anything in there about something I'd call assault. Last I checked it's still legal to act like a jerk in the USA.
He still has a ways to go to catch up with Lifeson. *That* was assault. Nearest I could tell, DC was just being a drunken jerk.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just stick to allegedly violent jazz drummers from now on.......

The majority of us are not drummers in the public eye but certainly this doesn't help our collective musician reputation......

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifeson ?????

What ???

Lifeson and his son were involved in a drunken fight a while back at a hotel.

alex-lifeson.jpeg

Full credit to Alex Lifeson, he seems to have had quite the night.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
We can barely make out what even happened here.. but for you guys that assume he’s pulling the celebrity card to try and get away with a crime…. All I hear is him saying “I’m the drummer from tool, you know from tool!!” As if he was trying to explain to them why he was in town and how he was doing what he always dreamed of (I think I heard him say that)
Seems like they were just like “ok buddy who are you anyway, and he was just like, I play in a fairly famous band called tool..
DC seems like one of the nicest people around, and crap like this can happen to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can barely make out what even happened here.. but for you guys that assume he’s pulling the celebrity card to try and get away with a crime…. All I hear is him saying “I’m the drummer from tool, you know from tool!!” As if he was trying to explain to them why he was in town and how he was doing what he always dreamed of (I think I heard him say that)
Seems like they were just like “ok buddy who are you anyway, and he was just like, I play in a fairly famous band called tool..
DC seems like one of the nicest people around, and crap like this can happen to anyone.

Exactly, it could happen to anyone. Most of us have had moments we're not proud of. This will be his.

All of this holier-than-thou crap is a bit to much to take. The guy is a rock & roll drummer, not to be mistaken for a Rhodes Scholar. Geez, cut the guy some slack fellas.

Now, he could work on his on-stage wardrobe and hair style, but that's for a different thread...:icon_mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.