header.nohb.html

Top 2 Favorite Snare Sounds for Jazz

poetman

Reaction score
I need to purchase a snare for straight ahead jazz (some blues) music. I have long played, and loved, a 5.5x14 round badge snare, but am open to exploring a non-matching kit option if anyone can suggest something worth checking out. What do you all recommend? I prefer 5.5.x14 wood snares and would like to find something $350 and under.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz - blues can include a wide diversity of styles . What are you involved with ? What are some examples of snares that you like that you've heard ? Have you got ' jazz hands '? - deeper shells can be more forgiving ....

You say straight ahead . OK I'm assuming swing / shuffle . How amplified is the band ?

If I was to pick one quickly that could cover most areas , I'd say a Ludwig 402 Supraphonic 6.5 . Tune it up, down , heavier, thinner heads , hoops , all these things the 402 would respond favorably to .

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy choice for me — there are two favorites. One is a good old Supraphonic LM400, Morello played one a lot. But since you said wood, the other choice for me is solid walnut and it’s not even close. Walnut has this dark earthy character that’s unique and special. It’s not only good for jazz, but it’s extremely nice for jazz. The way the drum sits in the mix sounds great for small trios or with a mic on it as well.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Acros/Supras , both in 5 and 6.5 depth, can work fine. A wetter sound than Gretsch, just a bit brighter than most wooden snares.

So many good-sounding snares out there. I just played a Yamaha AHM, and some kind of Tama (see the SLP thread) at local jam sessions; both very nice.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to mention any of my current snare drums. The ones I use for jazz are the ones whose sounds I like best, and that feel best on the bandstand. Like your 5x14 wood snare? Perfect. Want to try a 6.5? Good idea. How about an 8x14 metal snare? Yeah, that'll work. Get the picture?

Jazz is in your approach to the drums, not the size, material, or tuning. It's how you play. If you're happy with your round badge drum, play it. Or play something else if you want. There are no real rules.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
The Gretsch Brooklyn Standard is a phenomenally versatile snare. It's got one of those round badge thingies too.

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The venerable Noble and Cooley 5” Maple SS would be one of my first choices . An incredibly versatile snare , extremely sensitive with tons to character.

If money is an object - reach out to Gary Posey of Summit drums and have him make you one of his wonderful steambent snares .

poetman

Reaction score
I'm not going to mention any of my current snare drums. The ones I use for jazz are the ones whose sounds I like best, and that feel best on the bandstand. Like your 5x14 wood snare? Perfect. Want to try a 6.5? Good idea. How about an 8x14 metal snare? Yeah, that'll work. Get the picture?

Jazz is in your approach to the drums, not the size, material, or tuning. It's how you play. If you're happy with your round badge drum, play it. Or play something else if you want. There are no real rules.
I realize all this. I’m just asking for a snare drum suggestions. That’s all.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I realize all this. I’m just asking for a snare drum suggestions. That’s all.
Honestly, I think it’s harder to find a bad snare once you get to that money mark than a good one. I have no idea what to get, but I have rarely played a truly bad one in that price range.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canopus The Maple, or even a Yaiba Maple

RBagg454

Reaction score
I need to purchase a snare for straight ahead jazz (some blues) music. I have long played, and loved, a 5.5x14 round badge snare, but am open to exploring a non-matching kit option if anyone can suggest something worth checking out. What do you all recommend? I prefer 5.5.x14 wood snares and would like to find something $350 and under.
I don't see them mentioned often, but I really like Pork Pie snare drums. The woods are great (I have a maple,), but they're brass and metals are great too....

poetman

Reaction score
Seb,

What’s the difference between Slingy’s Artist, Ace, and Student model?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The venerable Noble and Cooley 5” Maple SS would be one of my first choices . An incredibly versatile snare , extremely sensitive with tons to character.

If money is an object - reach out to Gary Posey of Summit drums and have him make you one of his wonderful steambent snares
Gary will still be in the 600$ ballpark, almost double the OP budget!

If money is an object - reach out to Gary Posey of Summit drums and have him make you one of his wonderful steambent snares .

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seb,

What’s the difference between Slingy’s Artist, Ace, and Student model?
I don't know exactly. I havean older "Krupa" model that came with a standard p83 type strainer. The original clamshell one didn't work well supposedly. The later Artist has an updated strainer from the factory, that's why I'd recommend this version.
Other than hardware, I think there were only two types of shell, one-piece maple and three-ply poplar/maple. Check yt for demos.