Top 20 Canadian Rock Bands and Musicians

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think these have been mentioned...

The Stampeders (Sweet City Woman)

Five Man Electrical Band (Signs ) and (Absolutely right) from OttawaDrumGuy's hometown of Ottawa

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saga, yes!! And as someone said earlier, Gowan (now with Styx). An excellent album

Neilrush88

Reaction score
Though I'm hard Rush Fan and Prog classic, Some early albums from Nickelback are really solid and nice to listen.

boslaw

Reaction score
No one mentioned I Mother Earth? Great drumming on their tunes.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Neil Young! Of course Rush! I saw Bryan Adams open for the Rolling Stones in the early 2000s. He rocked! I never heard of The Tragically Hip and then I saw that documentary and I thought they were pretty cool band. I never got beyond that movie though. I used to date a chick that loved the Barenaked Ladies. They were awful but I had to tolerate with them to deal with her...... the things we do for like!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If paving paradise is now rock I wonder how Sarah Mclachlan doesn’t make the cut.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha! I played with a few of those bands. :)
I played one show with Kim Mitchell in 1985 (Junos) , Coney Hatch in the 80s, FM in the late 80s, and Zappacosta (not on the list?) in the early 90s. :D

As for Big Wreck, I have a good story about them... I was in Seattle for a job interview with Microsoft and had free time one night, so I checked the paper to see if anything was going on in town. Turned out that Dream Theater was playing a club (this was 1997 I think). The singer in Dream Theater is an old friend of mine (Kevin Labrie). I got Coney Hatch to audition him right after I joined the band back in 1985, and he and I roomed together on the road for a few months. He was eventually replaced by Phil Naro. Anyway, I went to the club and waited outside their tour bus, and when Kevin walked by I called him over. He took me onto the bus and got me a pass to the show and we caught up on things (we hadn't seen each other in about ten years at this point).

So I go into the club, and the opening band is called Big Wreck, who I had never heard of. Well, they proceeded to completely blow me away. So good. The drummer was playing a big 26" bass drum, and their songs were really great. When Dream Theater came on, it didn't really do it for me, so I left after a few numbers.

A few months later I started hearing Big Wreck on the radio in Toronto. Never saw them in person again though.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coney Hatch 80s hard rock band
Kim Mitchell - go for soda
Aldo Nova - Fantasy
Saga

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Though I'm hard Rush Fan and Prog classic, Some early albums from Nickelback are really solid and nice to listen.
Nickelback can be a bit cock-rocky and seem to be very polarising (although they've sold an awful lot of albums for a band so many claim to hate), but they take themselves less seriously than everybody else does.

Personally I think they're a great band who have written some very good pop/rock songs with good musicianship.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floyd Sneed , drummer 3 Dog Night - Canadian
Dewey Martin ( original) drummer Buffalo Springfield - Canadian

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thread title is " and musicians " . That's how I understood it .

Here's some( maybe) lesser known I can remember from when I was into that scene .

Foot in Cold Water
Pagliaro
Chilliwak
Downchild
King Biscuit Boy
Martha and the Muffins
Rough Trade
Minglewood Band
Goddo
Gowan
Stampeders
Mashmakan ( Jerry Mercer)