Top 20 Canadian Rock Bands and Musicians

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't think these have been mentioned...

The Stampeders (Sweet City Woman)

Five Man Electrical Band (Signs ) and (Absolutely right) from OttawaDrumGuy's hometown of Ottawa

Stampeders are road warriors. They have played every venue across the country from bars to stadiums for 50 years.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
They are the Canadian REM who seem to take themselves 200% more serious….at least that’s what they sound like to me.
That is what they sound like to me as well. I have been saying this for years lol
They were a tight band with a few good tunes.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
IMO the best Canadian Bands are the following, they are based on my age/reference point.

Rush
The Guess Who
BTO
April Wine
Neil Young
The Band
Joni Mitchell
Gordon Lightfoot
Triumph
Crowbar
Stampeders
Max Webster
FM
Moxy

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
since you brought up Canadians, I don’t care about “lists”,
but my favourite Canadian “rock” band that still actually raises some heartbeats, playing live, is
Mother Mother,
seen them twice and have tickets to see them next May.

I love their harmonies and I prefer bands that go “outside”, like King Crimson, Jeff Beck and Frank Zappa. Solid drummer Ali Siadat is an original member.

Rolling Stone wrote about them last year because, “Tik Tok is giving their 2008 album millions of downloads”

“Hayloft“ seen below in a 2018 studio version, is from 2008 and apparently they have played it every gig since then.
”Oh my heart” is also

Last edited:

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
since you brought up Canadians, I don’t care about “lists”,
but my favourite Canadian “rock” band that still actually raises some heartbeats, playing live, is
Mother Mother,
seen them twice and have tickets to see them next May.

I love their harmonies and I prefer bands that go “outside”, like King Crimson, Jeff Beck and Frank Zappa. Solid drummer Ali Siadat is an original member.

Rolling Stone wrote about them last year because, “Tik Tok is giving their 2008 album millions of downloads”

“Hayloft“ seen below in a 2018 studio version, is from 2008 and apparently they have played it every gig since then.
”Oh my heart” is also

Great choice - I booked them for a festival back in 2009 and they put on a great show. Nice to see some of their older songs getting new listeners.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nickelback can be a bit cock-rocky and seem to be very polarising (although they've sold an awful lot of albums for a band so many claim to hate), but they take themselves less seriously than everybody else does.

Personally I think they're a great band who have written some very good pop/rock songs with good musicianship.
Not a huge fan, but their latest album is their best.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
IMO the best Canadian Bands are the following, they are based on my age/reference point.

Rush
The Guess Who
BTO
April Wine
Neil Young
The Band
Joni Mitchell
Gordon Lightfoot
Triumph
Crowbar
Stampeders
Max Webster
FM
Moxy
Ill add Edward Bear

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Good news, the Ranker.com listing is actually longer than I thought, including nearly 200 bands and musicians. Here's an update on acts you asked about:

Max Webster #40

Nickelback #55

The Stampeders #73

Anvil #90

Five Man Electric Band #91

Mother Mother #115

FM #135

Moxy #141

Brad Wireman

Reaction score
Went through the entire list of 198, and no Kick Axe....Disregard the low budget, primordial hard rock/metal video nonsense, and they were one of the very best bands of the entire genre...."Rock The World" is still one of my favorite albums, top to bottom, ever.

David Peraldo

Reaction score
...and musicians

Oscar Peterson
Ed Bickert
Peter Appleyard
Gil Evans
Maynard Ferguson
Liona Boyd
Glen Gould
Loreena McKennett
Leonard Cohen
Bruce Cockburn
Whitey Glann
Dominic Troiano
Anne Murray
Hank Snow
Ian and Sylvia Tyson
Celine Dion ( yeah, I know...)
Paul Anka
Andy Kim

Lots of others I'm not sure attained recognition outside of Canada , so I didn't include them
Don’t know if anyone up there is familiar with Kim Deschamps playing out of Austin, Tx. now. Believe he’s from Quebec. I’ve played a few gigs with him. Phenomenal steel, lap steel player.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moe Koffman

Lenny Breau, guitar

Rock'em Sock'em , Dolores Claman original composer

Last edited:

Derrick

Reaction score
Metz is from Toronto. They make up for Canada presenting Rush to the world I guess...