Top two heavy songs from your past

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The more recent past:
Queens of the Stone Age "Go w/ the flow"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wxdlgUNEVjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<br>
Alice in Chains "Them Bones"
<br>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BttcIVj_VUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
From what I am reading I am getting the impression that I am a bit older than most here..

My top two heavies came quite a few years earlier. (there were really more)...

These two songs that grabbed me and had me totally surprised. Stunned! They had me locked in from the first note to the last when hearing them for the first time.

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I came to HEAVY METAL with a little different approach from most of you rockers. This is what did it for me. My band director took a group of us to see this band live in '67. Changed my life. No Marshall amps needed for these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Heavy" as in HEAVY!!!!...
The entire "Osma" record by The Melvins
The first Kyuss record.
Obviously Sabbath, Zep, Vanilla Fudge, etc. before these...but these were WAY heavier to me.

"Heavy" as in moved me to rethink things about my playing, and music in general...
"Eternity's Breath Part 1" by Mahavishnu Orchestra.
"Grace" by Jeff Buckley.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That would be pretty difficult to answer.During late 66,I was growing up in New York,so I was exposed to lots of here to fore,unheard music,and untried drugs.The evil devil weed,hash,and acid I did before high school.

As far as music,Hendrix,Vanilla Fudge,Jethro Tull,Cream(Fresh Cream)Savoy Brown,The Doors,The Mothers of Invention,Blue Cheer,Chicage Transit Authority,Black Sabath,Mott the Hoople,Deep Purple,The Chambers Brothers.....man the list goes on.I discovered FM radio.....WNEW FM in NY,Scott Muny(they said if god was a dj,he would be Scott),and I heard the studio verson of "Light My Fire",for the first time,after indulging in a joint.The next day,I'm in a Greenwich Village record shop,and come home with some Hendrix,and Tull,and Fudge Albums.

But the two heaviest that melted my 13 year old brain were "Purple Haze",and the album version of "You Keep Me Hanging On",Fudge style. :shock:

Steve B
I also grew up in New York. First time I tuned in to the middle Light My Fire on WNEW-FM did it for me too. All I could think at that moment was "what's that song that sounds like Light My Fire? Whoa, it IS Light My Fire!". No more WABC-AM after that. Music is your only friend until the end! I got pretty dazed and confused soon after that. Was hoping to find a Mississippi queen to teach me everything but that never happened. No more war pigs have the power. Breath deep the gathering gloom...

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
Not a top two list, but in the early 90's, there was Life Sex and Death that was pretty dang heavy...I'm not going to post any links here, lol - you'll have to check them out on your own!

hepkat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Powderfinger -- Neil Young
Chickamagua -- Uncle Tupelo

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
From what I am reading I am getting the impression that I am a bit older than most here..

My top two heavies came quite a few years earlier. (there were really more)...

These two songs that grabbed me and had me totally surprised. Stunned! They had me locked in from the first note to the last when hearing them for the first time.

These guys( 2 keyboard band) agree :

Van Halen smoked 'er pretty good too...

Nasus

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was in high school, I thought that Janis Joplin was pretty heavy with her group The Holding Company....

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
...this is THE recently lost everything and divorced guy's anthem. Was for me anyway...

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
In 1972 I was a 14-year-old campus radical wannabe. I listened to a lot of stuff like this.

Then the war ended. Wrecked all my plans of fomenting chaos.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was 19 I filled in for a drummer in a touring group from NYC. The big song then was "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Nothing compared to later songs but very heavy for me in 1969. Being into blues, "You Shook Me" by Led Zeppelin is one of the heaviest slow blues songs I can think of.

Latest posts