Toto Hater Posts Jeff Porcaro Tribute

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At least we can both have a laugh over the things we disagree about. I understand these cats music isn't for everyone.
Agree-and appreciated!

Hey, I LOVE Jeff Porcaro. Total respect for his talent and sadness over his wayyyy to early passing. I just prefer to hear him working with almost anyone else than "Toto"....

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Love Toto. Not ashamed of it in the least. Stellar musicians. So far above many of their contemporaries of that era that would be getting mad praises in similar threads about their work.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I would not have thought one of the most vibrant discussions on this forum would be about...Toto.
I would have thought that would have happened with a discussion of the Arnel Pineda Edition of Journey.
(No offense at all to Mr. Pineda who is talented and by all reports a pretty good guy. But Journey seeking out a Steve Perry soundalike so they can have a...well... kind of a tribute band to themselves is off putting.
What would you think of a friend who was married to a wonderful and beautiful woman and treated her so badly she left, and then your friend searched bars far and wide to find another woman who looked just like her and excitedly shows you pictures of her. “Doesn’t she look just like her! I’m going to marry her.”
My response would be. “Kinda creepy, bro. Time to move on.”)
But Toto, again, respect the musicianship but the music, arrangements,
especially the lyrics, doesn’t grab me.
I’ll say this, though, if you’re pulling off covering a Toto song you’ve got some game.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love Toto. Not ashamed of it in the least. Stellar musicians. So far above many of their contemporaries of that era that would be getting mad praises in similar threads about their work.
I'll be the first to admit..."stellar" musicianship never did much for me. Never cared for those late 70s\early 80s supervroups made up of players from the studio or other supergroups-Asia, Mike and the Mechanics, etc. Even super-talented groups like Rush and Dream Theater... Absolutely KILLER musicianship, even great songs and arrangments.

I find that they have a certain 'sterility' to them that just doesn't resonate with me. No real *hate* (ok, I did use the word hate above...but that is more like a school kid uses the word lol) for them...just more like "meh".

Like you can listen to Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company. There is a rawness to it that makes up in spades for any (perceived) lack of musicianship.

I don't know..I'm weird (wired? Lol) that way.

It has to have something underneath it besides just great musicianship and "talent" for it to hold my attention.

Anyway, apologies to Vista for thread derail....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I would not have thought one of the most vibrant discussions on this forum would be about...Toto.
I would have thought that would have happened with a discussion of the Arnel Pineda Edition of Journey.
(No offense at all to Mr. Pineda who is talented and by all reports a pretty good guy. But Journey seeking out a Steve Perry soundalike so they can have a...well... kind of a tribute band to themselves is off putting.
What would you think of a friend who was married to a wonderful and beautiful woman and treated her so badly she left, and then your friend searched bars far and wide to find another woman who looked just like her and excitedly shows you pictures of her. “Doesn’t she look just like her! I’m going to marry her.”
I’ll say this, though, if you’re pulling off covering a Toto song you’ve got some game.
I don't understand the "your friend searched bards far and wide to find another" analogy considering the current touring Toto has just three members who were in the original band and features six non-originals.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see what your saying and respect that completely. While I did like TOTO growing up , I was always a HUGE Porcaro fan. Jeff was 8 years older than me, so just the right age difference for me to look up to as I was developing into a better player in my teens. BUT (their always is one) I'm not the rabid TOTO fan that many others are myself. I thought they were fantastic musicians and I respect each and every one of them, but out of what, 20 albums? I maybe only ever owned 3 or 4 of them!

And to address the thin skin fan comment... preach it brother! My full time gig for at least the rest of the year (under contract) is what I feel may be one of the better TOTO tribute bands in America. And I quickly learned to keep my opinions to myself even among the shows ownership and management... they are BIG fans (as one would assume being that they launched the show in the first place). And we indeed do songs by other artist that they wrote and honestly, I like some of those tracks even better! As for Africa.... yep, the single most boring song in the show... and the one that the crowd comes to see, LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I am blessed to have this opportunity and it's been wonderful for me on so many ways. Yet even with my own gig, I still wonder what the appeal is at times. To musicians I understand, but their stuff (well save the a fore mentioned Africa) was often a little beyond the average fans normal listening depth. OK, Ive rattled enough, was just looking for clarification on your orgional statement as I was not understanding and just curious.

Signed big JP fan, OK Toto fan!
Sounds good. What band is are you playing with ? Love to hear it...

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Vistaliteblack, my apologies for the veer off topic, way off. I was referring to the lineup of Journey, not Toto.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Not sure that analogy holds much water at all. Steve Perry wasn't the original lead singer, and Arnel didn't replace SP after a bad breakup. Arnel is actually the third lead singer after Steve departed, and has been with the band 13 years now. Steve's original stint was 11 years, with another couple added in a decade later. They needed someone who could sing the songs. The fact that Arnel was already performing Journey songs made him an easy find. Journey songs require an unnaturally high tenor voice which limits the field tremendously. I certainly don't see them or Toto as tribute acts.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Journey was originally a prog rock band, highly talented but no commercial potential. A producer stuck Steve onto them, over their objections, and it resulted in massive commercial success. They always hated Steve though, because they were “artists” dammit. He eventually left, and the band floundered. Nobody wanted to see or hear them without Steve. Arnel was absolutely picked as a Steve clone, so they could tour on their commercially successful material that audiences wanted to hear, and have it sound like those records.

Jorn

Reaction score
I love Toto! Of course for Jeff Porcaro, but Steve Lukather and Bobby Kimball are great singers. Kimball even being unique.
In addition, great melodies, great solos, great arrangements and great playing. What more could we ask for.
Of course, like any other band, not every song is equally good.

For the half time shuffle lovers, check out These Chains.

Latest posts