Tracking drums on a budget

claytronica

Reaction score
Hey all - would love some suggestions for some basic drum tracking with limited gear.
I've got a 2 input interface (Audient iD14), an sm57, a Beta 87a, and a nice large diaphragm condenser with a tube preamp
I don't yet have a proper kick drum mic.
I also don't yet have a USB mixer, so I at the moment I'm limited to a 2 mic recording.
I can use Reaper, Adobe Audition, or Logic Pro

Thanks in advance!

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2 mics for a whole kit? I'd probably experiment with the condenser as an overhead & the beta87 out front about a foot away from the bass drum & a little higher than the middle of the bass, so it's mostly a prominent kick sound, but you'll get some toms & snare as well.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm far from a pro, but the best recordings I've made in my small home studio have been 2 mic deals. An AKGD112 in the bass drum (I'm sure you could get by with one of your dynamic mics for now), and either a nice LDC or Ribbon a few feet above the bass drum. A little EQ and compression and good to go.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously this is an extreme example, but it does go to show what is actually possible:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Experiment with what you have....ya never know. That’s how a lot of new and cool things and sounds transpire.
Innovate rather than duplicate.
bt

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
As everyone has pointed out already, it's a game of getting as much of the right "vibe" from the LDC as possible and then using one more mic to supplement. I have that same ID14 interface, and I have been trying to get a good one mic drum sound. Here are some ideas for where to put the LDC.

Out front like in this video:
Over the kick like owr mentioned.
Does it have a switchable polar pattern? Put it on omni and put it between the hihat, snare and bass drum beater.
By the floor tom pointed at the snare
Over the snare, over the bass drum beater, etc.