Trad grip and swagger?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Time for a short recap....?

1. Drummers using both grips have strong opinions regarding them.
2. Profficiency with either or both has been more than adequately demonstrated from at least the early 1940s.
3. Either grip will work for any genre including jazz and rock.
4. Some drummers using the traditional grip in a context well beyond the "average" drummer's experience, and over a span of 20+ years have reported serious medical issues with their "traditional" hand. Resulting in more reliance on the matched grip, or complete abandonment of the traditional grip.
5. For the average drummer experimenting with or using the traditional grip poses no real threat to life or limb in the typical context he or she finds themselves in.
6. After countless keystrokes and sharing of opinion it remains unknown whether the adoption of the traditional grip produces any measureable "swagger" or in the end gets more chicks.
8. Lastly, using a modicum of manners and respect it is quite possible for users of competing grips to live in harmony.

Did I miss anything?
They sound different.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Time for a short recap....?

1. Drummers using both grips have strong opinions regarding them.
2. Profficiency with either or both has been more than adequately demonstrated from at least the early 1940s.
3. Either grip will work for any genre including jazz and rock.
4. Some drummers using the traditional grip in a context well beyond the "average" drummer's experience, and over a span of 20+ years have reported serious medical issues with their "traditional" hand. Resulting in more reliance on the matched grip, or complete abandonment of the traditional grip.
5. For the average drummer experimenting with or using the traditional grip poses no real threat to life or limb in the typical context he or she finds themselves in.
6. After countless keystrokes and sharing of opinion it remains unknown whether the adoption of the traditional grip produces any measureable "swagger" or in the end gets more chicks.
8. Lastly, using a modicum of manners and respect it is quite possible for users of competing grips to live in harmony.

Did I miss anything?
If you're playing traditional grip and you don't tilt your drum, you will likely put dents in your drum head.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe this is dumb, but we're here to talk drums and playing anyway aren't we? So here goes:

For the last year solid I've done my best to play exclusively with traditional grip. Why? I think it looks cool. To me it has a bit of swagger about it. For instance, when I see Gadd, Weckl, Jordan play, the trad grip just looks a bit cooler and even to non-drummers says, "this guy knows what he's doing and isn't some ham-fisted sob." The same could be said for snare drumming and why corps still march trad.

All that said, I starting playing in '94 and was taught match. I marched 1 year bass, 3 years snare, played timpani, mallets, concert snare, and drum set, all with matched grip.

Even now, after a year with trad, my match chops are still much stronger (we're talking 24 years of my left hand doing one thing and only 1 year of it trying to do something different).

At this point, I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile endeavor to continue to pursue or if I'm just a match guy and should stick with it.

As another side note, I have the same struggle with single kick (which I've played for 25 years) vs double kick (I own a double pedal, but can't do much with it).

Let there be discussion.
Like you, I’m a matched grip player. There have been times when I’ve dabbled with trad, and even considered really working on it. But it (trad) never feels natural to me. So I just decided to go with what feels natural to me...and that is matched.

But I think about many of my heroes that play matched...Ringo, Bonham, Porcaro, Purdie, Ginger Baker, Rick Marrotta, JR, Garibaldi. And I could be totally happy to stop there. If it’s good enough for them...it’s absolutely good enough for me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember a drum video that I had with Omar Hakim in the 90s. He talked about this subject. If I recall, he said that he played trad early on, but changed to matched...which he referred to as the “better way.” Talked about how it was allowing him to be more relaxed, less tension in arms/shoulders, etc.

But I can see a possible advantage for jazz playing with trad. Not necessarily advantage, but different. Still, Bill Stewart. I’ve seen him in person, and he blew my lid off using.......shhhh....matched.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
... the way I play 90% of the time. :) (though I've never heard it called by that name)
Because (no -one) I may be the one to call it that ; From the May/June 1979 MD article see below.
Actually I named it reverse- matched but Purdie ... Purdie grip is cool also.
(Me and him always claim "firsts"..)
Both tips-out has another name ( two-tip or two-tit haven't .. yet decided)

Read below

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Midway down the Page Purdie discusses May/June 1979

https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/may-june-1979-the-new-york-scene/

MD: What grip do you find most comfortable, matched or traditional?

BP: Both. But my matched grip is matched grip.

MD: Didn’t I see you turn the butt end around in your left hand?

BP: Yeah, I use the butt end in my left hand.

MD: In your left hand? You mean you use the bead on the drum head?

BP: No, I use the butt on the head.

MD: That isn’t matched grip, is it?

BP: Well, it’s not called matched grip, I forgot what I call it now. For me, in order to balance the stick out and play what I want to play, I beat on the butt with my left hand, because it gives me better control. The feel is right in my hand. That to me was matched grip because then the stick became level by holding the small part of the stick and letting the stick be able to rebound. The stick does very little rebounding in matched grip.

MD: Do you also use this grip when soloing?

BP: I use it whenever I want to. When I’m playing hard, it’s easier to go that way for me. I use the traditional when I’m lazy, when I just want to groove and not do anything.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love reading replies like Purdie's above where they are makng it up on the fly while trying to make it sound deep and technical....lol....

Yea, well....ahh....I invented that in Memphis one night... Like it was real late and I errr picked up my stick backwards but the tune was already in progress so I had to keep going and it felt so good to me...so right man....that I just invented this new grip on the spot.......

Anyway, that's how I invented "The Memphis Grip".....

Lol