DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1st cymbal-20" paiste traditional THIN ride
2nd cymbal- trombone solo 22" oriental china trash
Beginning of guitar solo- 18" paiste traditional

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
SCDR sounds good in the first clip! Same with the trads.

Only issue: I wouldn't use a swish/china behind trombone, too much midrange fighting. Better stay out of the way (use 20" or 18" in the Mel Lewis school).

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. Good point. I agree.

That scdr is killing isnt it? Everyone poo poos them but...i likey.

TPC

Reaction score
Nice sounds. In this context the two cymbals, aside from a pitch differentiation, sound similar in character.

Thanks for posting.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice sounds. In this context the two cymbals, aside from a pitch differentiation, sound similar in character.

Thanks for posting.
Its true. The medium is a bit too close in pitch as a left side paired with the scdr.
On its own the 20" medium as a main ride with 3 rivets and the 18" left side would be nice.
Im getting a 20" medium LIGHT from ups any minute now.

I love the light ride. Nice trashy, washy left side.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was (during the performance) the cymbal switch a conscious strategery or an emotional one

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Musical choice.
I always try to put the music first.
Sometimes I fail.
That was a musical choice..i.e. what would support the music right now?

Reaction score
Killmeister,

I was just teaching a jazz lesson here at home and had to throw up a set of jazz cymbals real quick. I grabbed one of my 22" SCDR's (main,) 18" Trad Extra Light (left,) and 20" riveted Extra Thin Trad (far right.) They compliment each other VERY nicely!!!!

As we have discussed, I think the Med Light Trads (20 or 22) are some of the best all around rides around (and they are by far the closest Modern Paiste's to SCDR's, just no "chime.") The Lights are pretty great too (a little trashier, and they crash better.) Those 22" Light Trads are the cymbals that first attracted Vinnie to Paiste. And thanks to Vinnie and Steve Jordan, the Trads aren't going anywhere!!!!!! (i.e. being discontinued, VC and SJ LOVE them, and so do I.)

When you had your Trads and your Masters did you ever compare them directly? That's the comparison I would like to hear... I don't have any Trads and Masters in the same sizes for a ol' good fashioned compare and contrast.

MSG

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Killmeister,

I was just teaching a jazz lesson here at home and had to throw up a set of jazz cymbals real quick. I grabbed one of my 22" SCDR's (main,) 18" Trad Extra Light (left,) and 20" riveted Extra Thin Trad (far right.) They compliment each other VERY nicely!!!!

As we have discussed, I think the Med Light Trads (20 or 22) are some of the best all around rides around (and they are by far the closest Modern Paiste's to SCDR's, just no "chime.") The Lights are pretty great too (a little trashier, and they crash better.) Those 22" Light Trads are the cymbals that first attracted Vinnie to Paiste. And thanks to Vinnie and Steve Jordan, the Trads aren't going anywhere!!!!!! (i.e. being discontinued, VC and SJ LOVE them, and so do I.)

When you had your Trads and your Masters did you ever compare them directly? That's the comparison I would like to hear... I don't have any Trads and Masters in the same sizes for a ol' good fashioned compare and contrast.

MSG
Yes. The trads are more like old ks with a piece of tape underneath.
The masters are like thinner, open old ks...need a piece of tape

Black Label

Reaction score
Short little clip from last night

Head -20"paiste traditional medium ride no rivets

Organ solo- 22" paiste sound creation dark ride 3 rivets

Thanks for the post. Really cool to hear both - I've always wondered what the Trad sounds like live. I have a 22" 602 DR with no rivets and find it a b**tch to master. You've clearly got the touch - nicely played. As a matter of interest, do you play the 22" SCDR close to the edge or the middle of the bow. Listening to the sizzles, I assume you're staying around the edge. Thanks again.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so now i got my 20" medium LIGHT on the left side...no rivets

22" scdr 3 rivets
I start with the scdr and switch mid chorus to medium light.

13" paiste trad hats

Brand new pair of Vater Jimmy Cobb model stick

The phone wasnt close enough to my main ride. You get the idea. It was behind me near snare hi hat.
2:28 I switch to medium light.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Very nice playing Tom.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of an A/B comparison of the Trad Medium vs the Trad Medium Light Tom. Mine are essentially the same weight but the Medium Light is higher pitched and sweeter. The Medium is darker. I can hear what Paiste are getting at with the stick sound being sweet in the Medium Light vs clear in the Medium. And for completeness Paiste say woody stick for the Thin and Light rides. I've measured the bells and they seem the same. The profile of the Medium Light is a teeny bit higher (as in 1mm) and that might have to do with a change near the outer edge. I haven't gone further trying to track down what it is about the shape and hammering and lathing that makes the two models different. But I'm intrigued. It's a good example of something more than weight being at work.

Last edited: