Trade sessions for masters?

Briandisaster

Reaction score
I currently have a set of early 2000's pearl session custom series. Sizes are 14" snare, and 10,12, 14, and 22 bass drum. There is a really good deal on craigs list right now, someone is selling a 1999 set of master mmx in diamond burst finish with the black hardware. The sizes are the same but the bass drum is a 20", with no snare included. They're asking 750 for the set, I'm thinking that I might buy that set and then try to sell my sessions for about that same price with the snare included.
I'm pretty happy with my sessions but i'm always looking for something new as far as sound goes, plus....they're masters! lol
I'm looking for a few opinions from anyone that has or has had either of these sets. What do you guys think?

Thank You

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'd be able to sell the sessions for anywhere close to $750. In my area anyways Sessions just sit unsold unless you're selling them for $450 - $500.

Briandisaster

Reaction score
I don't think you'd be able to sell the sessions for anywhere close to $750. In my area anyways Sessions just sit unsold unless you're selling them for $450 - $500.
You're probably right :( which is unfortunate, $500 would be a steal though! $750 for the masters is pretty much a steal too though.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do with the Sessions, I’d get that Masters kit. Awesome, underrated drums, and a 20” bass, too? Pfff. No brainer.

Briandisaster

Reaction score
Whatever you do with the Sessions, I’d get that Masters kit. Awesome, underrated drums, and a 20” bass, too? Pfff. No brainer.
I'm slightly nervous about the 20", I love my 22 but it does lack the punch that i'm looking for. I have never needed to put any muffling device inside the drum though, but i'm assuming i won't have to with the masters either.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I'm slightly nervous about the 20", I love my 22 but it does lack the punch that i'm looking for. I have never needed to put any muffling device inside the drum though, but i'm assuming i won't have to with the masters either.
Don't let the 20" BD scare you.

I have the MMX in those sizes with the 20"BD. LOVE THEM! Actually it's the 20" BD that sold me on the kit. 3ply with re-rings really opens up the lows to the drum and has a great punch to it as well. I've tried a couple different heads on it but keep coming back to the Remo PS3 tuned just above wrinkle for the best sound on it. In general NO additional muffling - if I needed any, I just laid a hand towel against either the reso or the batter head depending on how much I needed for the room. I've set it beside some other 22s and this 20 has sounded lower in pitch with more punch.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a Pearl "guy" per se....but I really like the wrap on that kit. Very classy...

Good luck in your pursuit man!

Briandisaster

Reaction score
I’ve decided to pull the trigger on the masters. Listen to this though, I’m picking them up Thursday so I’ll have them for band practice on Friday, lead guitarist cancelled practice! not happy lol

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I’ve decided to pull the trigger on the masters. Listen to this though, I’m picking them up Thursday so I’ll have them for band practice on Friday, lead guitarist cancelled practice! not happy lol
More time for you to dial in the heads the way you like and enjoy them all to yourself for a bit.

Briandisaster

Reaction score
$750 and it comes with one heavy duty double Tom stand with boom, and a snare stand for the floor Tom. I think it’s like a 99 or 2000 ish because it has the opti mount and not the crappy iss mounts that people complain about.
I’m pretty excited about it! I just hope my sessions aren’t too hard to move. They’re near brand new condition so that will help me.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a very loud bassist??

And I am assuming you practice with the band dry / un-mic'd ??

I was curious because these MMX's are VERY focused on the low end. I had them for years and they just got eaten up by the bass unless I was mic'd. Same thing happens with most DW's IMO. I loved the drums though.

Briandisaster

Reaction score
Do you have a very loud bassist??

And I am assuming you practice with the band dry / un-mic'd ??

I was curious because these MMX's are VERY focused on the low end. I had them for years and they just got eaten up by the bass unless I was mic'd. Same thing happens with most DW's IMO. I loved the drums though.
Lol we are currently looking for a bass player, so I don’t have an answer to that one.
The plan for the kit is to play unplugged at practice and then eventually record with it.
We’re a few guys in our mid 30’s that used to be in a band and now jam once a week to try to write songs. We don’t have much intent on gigging out but definitely want to record an album.
Surely these mmx will sound awesome recorded.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Surely these mmx will sound awesome recorded.
They will sound killer recorded as long as the person in charge knows what they are doing. A couple of things I noticed with mine.. is they sang quite a bit more with 2.3 hoops vs the die casts.... and I had both the old version ISS mount , which many people laugh at.. but my drums sang more with those than the more modern "optimount". You might have to really mess around with the adjustment on those optimounts because those toms should SING for quite a bit. They sound better with the reso cranked up quite a bit. Here is a good vid below of an older MMX and what they can sound like.. and even better:

Briandisaster

Reaction score
They will sound killer recorded as long as the person in charge knows what they are doing. A couple of things I noticed with mine.. is they sang quite a bit more with 2.3 hoops vs the die casts.... and I had both the old version ISS mount , which many people laugh at.. but my drums sang more with those than the more modern "optimount". You might have to really mess around with the adjustment on those optimounts because those toms should SING for quite a bit. They sound better with the reso cranked up quite a bit. Here is a good vid below of an older MMX and what they can sound like.. and even better:

I’ve seen that video before when I was doing my research!
It made me want the masters but also now I want that dry crash and that Dennis chambers snare. Lol