TRADED 21” Zildjian Dark Complex Ride

VinSparkle

Reaction score
2,772g

Now $225 shipped! Holy moly!

Good stick definition, dark controlled overtones with a touch of dryness and a solid bell. Complex jazzy, bluesy, rocky (is that even a word? Who cares, it’s a an amazing price!)...great all around K ride here, folks.

Generously hammered all over, including the bell (top and bottom!), which makes the Dark Complex quite unique among Zildjian’s higher-end offerings. A stunningly beautiful ride, to say the least.

Still looking for a jazzy 22” Zildjian K ~2,550g. Happy to work out a cash+cymbal trade.

4C4B3A4C-F2B3-4156-8E9E-487768A646CA.jpeg
DD679D5A-0858-4D20-A8DB-1F3F17D36E75.jpeg
9D2B4E3E-EF96-45B7-899B-3BCED8864F5E.jpeg
54F3C5C0-6468-4771-B55F-E99B3418C09A.jpeg
7C4D4651-5FD2-49A0-98C7-1F02F5D3D31D.jpeg

C6888CD7-55D0-46AE-BCD1-8F604BC64D47.jpeg
D263EF57-BCA0-4188-A21E-650E8ACA1ACB.jpeg

B9B575B9-F99E-417E-8CA4-DCF04EFDA162.jpeg

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
There is a recording of this model but the sound isn't great

getting better

some vintage Ben White

and even more fun is hearing Paul Francis introduce them

I just happened to have these references handy because I was working on some research for cymbal wiki.

@VinSparkle may I use your gorgeous photos for the wiki when I get to that specific model page?

Thanks in advance

Steve the Cymbal Student

VinSparkle

Reaction score
There is a recording of this model but the sound isn't great

getting better

some vintage Ben White

and even more fun is hearing Paul Francis introduce them

I just happened to have these references handy because I was working on some research for cymbal wiki.

@VinSparkle may I use your gorgeous photos for the wiki when I get to that specific model page?

Thanks in advance

Steve the Cymbal Student
Sure..happy to email you the originals, Zen

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great cymbal. Great price. Great seller.

This shouldnt last long.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are some of my favorite modern K rides that Zildjian has ever put out.

Stick that mixes both a woody and slightly metallic attack with warm, smokey, complex and dryish body. Warm bell tone.

The weights of these varied all over the map. Seemed like as much as a 400g difference was commonplace within same diameters...the 21" and 22".

I found an incredible-sounding 21" (2550g) at GC a few years back and just lucked into finding a great 22" (2710g) on a Facebook listing.

They are very characterful, expressive cymbals that are, imo, among the most authentically "Turkish" of modern Ks. Very hand-crafted, unique feel.

I like them in those slightly heavier weights. A little more focused and versatile.

Hope someone jumped on this one at that great price!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the companion 19 from this series. Very very cool cymbal..
19" K Custom Dark Complex? I didn't know they had made that. I thought there was only a 21 and 22.

I don't see a reference to a 19 anywhere. Are you sure you're not talking about something else?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
19" K Custom Dark Complex? I didn't know they had made that. I thought there was only a 21 and 22.

I don't see a reference to a 19 anywhere. Are you sure you're not talking about something else?
19 crash ride that accompanied the release. I think these were a rarities series. One time only

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
We might be getting into complex :icon_e_wink: naming territory here.

Did you have a

19" K Custom Special Dry Crash Ride from the Rarities Series in 2011?

or

19" K Custom Dark Thin Crash Ride from the Rarities Series in 2011?

I'm not sure about the words Dark and Complex appearing together in a 19". A couple of weeks ago I charged ahead and tried to sort out the first of the huge Avedis Zildjian lists of all models and series, and got bogged down sorting out some other confusions in naming. I should have started with an easier area but wanted to try and sort out the

K Custom Ride (1987-1995 and in the K series but didn't have ink saying Ride although people usually refer to it that way)

versus the same cymbal which was later moved into the K Custom series when that series started in 1995.

K Custom Ride (1995 on in the K Custom series and just called Ride)

and I haven't made it out the other end yet. So any further information would be welcome on your 19" although it may not help sell VinSparkle's 21". :dontknow:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Did you have a

or

I'm not sure about the words Dark and Complex appearing together in a 19". A couple of weeks ago I charged ahead and tried to sort out the first of the huge Avedis Zildjian lists of all models and series, and got bogged down sorting out some other confusions in naming. I should have started with an easier area but wanted to try and sort out the

K Custom Ride (1987-1995 and in the K series but didn't have ink saying Ride although people usually refer to it that way)

versus the same cymbal which was later moved into the K Custom series when that series started in 1995.

and I haven't made it out the other end yet. So any further information would be welcome on your 19" although it may not help sell VinSparkle's 21". :dontknow:
K Custom Dark Thin Crash Ride. You need info ?

VinSparkle

Reaction score
These are some of my favorite modern K rides that Zildjian has ever put out.

Stick that mixes both a woody and slightly metallic attack with warm, smokey, complex and dryish body. Warm bell tone.

The weights of these varied all over the map. Seemed like as much as a 400g difference was commonplace within same diameters...the 21" and 22".

I found an incredible-sounding 21" (2550g) at GC a few years back and just lucked into finding a great 22" (2710g) on a Facebook listing.

They are very characterful, expressive cymbals that are, imo, among the most authentically "Turkish" of modern Ks. Very hand-crafted, unique feel.

I like them in those slightly heavier weights. A little more focused and versatile.

Hope someone jumped on this one at that great price!
Traded to a legendary DFOer, so it’s staying within the fam

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K Custom Dark Thin Crash Ride. You need info ?
That clears it up, then. Different series.

K Custom Dark Complexes were only made in 21" and 22".

Notable differences: The Dark Complexes feature medium-thin weights, satin finishes, cluster hammering and larger bells.

Some similarities in aesthetics but different sonic character.

Last edited:

VinSparkle

Reaction score

Did you have a

or

Lol, @zenstat. Your insightful commentary is always welcome on my sale ads. :)