Traditional grip or German?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Steve "whats his name" Gadd doesn't "tilt" the snare drum.
Elvin/Art barely did either.
You don't have to either

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't remember at 12 my private teacher (in town) spending, teaching time, on how to hold the sticks..
I just don't recall much time spent on it.
Our eyes were on the notes on the page
I remember that

I don't recall it might have been 3 minutes total on holding the stick; wasn't the issue. The notes were.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just examine the evidence.

It is a generic fallacy to conclude because we know the origins of how a grip developed to then make claims about it’s effectiveness based solely on that.

There are reasons the best drummers in the world use traditional grip. Matched grip is not
“New”

Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich(as well as their influences) knew and used matched. They chose traditional grip because of what they could do with it.

I have yet to see a matched grip player match the fluidity, ease and sound that has been accomplished with traditional(It is frankly quite difficult to play fluid,graceful double strokes with matched)

Where is our matched grip Buddy rich?

If matched is so much easier..... should we not be much further along by now? Let’s see someone simply sit behind a four piece..... Without double or triple pedals, x hats, multiple cymbal stacks and 6 cymbals and see what they can do with German, American or French matched grips.

I think I know where I would place my bets.
I tried to resist, but I couldn't. There are so many things wrong with your post. I don't know where to begin.

Okay, you're going to use a couple old dead guys as examples. Guys that grew up with traditional grip and knew nothing else. They didn't choose traditional grip, that's all anybody used back then.

Buddy was a freak of nature. Nobody may ever claim his talent. However, imagine how much better he could have been if he used matched grip. Again, he used traditional grip because that's all anybody used back then. He didn't have a teacher that taught him, he learned by watching.

Next, it takes A LOT of talent to use "double or triple pedals, x hats, multiple cymbal stacks and 6 cymbals"

It still makes absolutely no sense to use traditional grip in this day and age.

I could go on, but I have to get back to work.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have you mentioned this to Steve Gadd yet.

Better yet Post some of your Playing I need to hear it!!!
Take a nice read of this article...

I recently read a long article about Dave Weckl in an issue of Drumhead magazine. In it, he talks about the some prominent players switching to Matched Grip, and the problems that Traditional Grip can cause.

There's been a noticeable switch to matched grip in the last few years from some longtime practitioners of traditional grip, including Steve Gadd (a few years ago he was seen playing matched grip at a recording session at Skyline Studios in New York City). This doesn't surprise Weckl, who admits that he, Steve Smith and Vinnie Colaiuta are all experiencing hand problems stemming from using traditional grip. In a surprising move, jazz drummer's jazz drummer Jack DeJohnette has changed to matched grip, according to Weckl. This in addition to Teutonic powerhouse Thomas Lang's recent switch to matched grip. Dave remarks, "We're all experiencing hand problems from playing traditional. There is a definite thing with this grip, beating the water out of your thumb for 40, 50 years. Repetitive stress is going to take its toll, and it's definitely taken its toll on me-I've got bone spurs, arthritis, all kinds of crap going on in my left hand. The funny thing is I generally don't feel it when I play. I feel it at times, but it just takes me a minute to get back into playing consistently and in position where the fatty/muscle part between the thumb and first finger cradle the stick more, and then I don't feel it so much. I don't know if Steve (Gadd) actually has any trauma to his hand or not. The only thing that he did tell me person-to-person was that playing matched grip is just easier. And Thomas Lang is switching to mostly matched now, for the same reason. He said it's just so much maintenance and he's also got his own injury issues."

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Post your Playing!!

Are you 70+ years old like those two? DeJohnette and Gadd..
Playing concerts for thousands, all around the globe, in huge settings, like those two have for decades, ?

Lemme hear you!!

Are you covering something up?
Gotta hear you!
To be so adamant against Gotta hear you!

Makes one think "something's up" to be so adamant against a little thing like grip..
Dispel any rumor!
Post your solo

Even can get Charlie Watts interested in hearing You!

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Post your Playing!!

Playing concerts for thousands, all around the globe, in huge settings, like those two have for decades, ?

Lemme hear you!!

Gotta hear you!

Makes one think "something's up" to be so adamant against a little thing like grip..
Dispel any rumor!
Post your solo
What does my playing or my age have to do with any of this? You know I'm correct. Come on, admit I'm correct!

Read the article I posted. Even Dave Weckl admits there's something wrong with traditional grip. Even Steve Gadd has made a switch. Again, read the article.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Again, read the article.
I can read. I want to hear you play.
Steve Gadd has made a switch.
after he made his name. What's your excuse. Ha!
Do you fear the same fate as DeJohnette and Gadd??!
with their criss-crossing the globe for decades playing concerts..

Come' on, Let us hear you make a noise/ Play!

I doth think you protest too Much!!?!

Sticks.jpg

and that ^ was over murder!!

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Post your Playing!!

Lemme hear you!!

Gotta hear you!

Dispel any rumor!
Post your solo

Even can get Charlie Watts interested in hearing You!
I love Charlie Watts and the Stones.

Currently, I suck as a player. I don't know what that proves. But, that doesn't make my argument less valid. I had plenty of experience using both grips and made the switch back in 1974.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
After years of traditional grip playing, you end up with problems
No one plays it 24/7

me thinks you protest too much
Relax on the subject.

You have a greater chance getting hit by a train than having issues from trad.
and watch coming down the stairs or shoveling an icy sidewalk this winter

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
No one plays it 24/7

me thinks you protest too much
Relax on the subject.

You have a greater chance getting hit by a train than having issues from trad.
use both and watch coming down the stairs or shoveling an icy sidewalk this winter
Dude, I think YOU protest too much, and YOU should relax.

Having medical problems related to traditional grip is only part of the problem. Though, there's no point in repeating myself. Oh, and I never said anyone plays 24/7.

Oh, and I noticed that you "like" my post on the subject. See below. Did you change your mind?

Matched grip IS superior. Again, folks that can't play matched grip cleanly, likely learned traditional grip as a kid, and now find difficult to make the change.

It's not that my music sucks, you really are old.

Reactions: JDA
and bpaluzzi

Attachments

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie Watts...

I equate him with the Cleveland Browns. You might think they're a bad team but they're still a pro team and if you look past them like the Steelers have done on more than one occasion they will teach you a lesson behind the woodshed.