Traditional grip or German?

Deafmoon

Reaction score
The bigger issue to me is how you play the hi hat. If you are still going to cross over the hands to play the hats, what's the benefit of matched grip in that? So I say, if you play matched, play open-handed.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bigger issue to me is how you play the hi hat. If you are still going to cross over the hands to play the hats, what's the benefit of matched grip in that? So I say, if you play matched, play open-handed.
Oh boy! Now we’re going to have an open handed/ matched grip/traditional grip playing argument! :shock:

:icon_lol:

jsp210

Reaction score
open-handed matched also helps sort out the tilting of snare issue in my experience. If moderately tilted to accommodate traditional grip, the right hand can access the snare at a fairly natural angle

Last edited:

ronnieDee

Reaction score
It's gotten to where I can't stand traditional grip. I use mostly matched American grip with a little German. I also use the French grip on ride cymbal.

So, I use all three, depending on what I'm doing.

I think that folks that prefer traditional grip learned it when they were youngsters and now find it difficult to make the switch.

There is no advantage to playing traditional grip unless you are playing a snare drum on a sling.
traditional maybe with brushes but other than that ☝

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The advantages of matched grip, for me, are power, consistent rimshots (especially playing shuffles with the left hand), mobility around the kit and flow of musical phrasing and ideas.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I tried to resist, but I couldn't. There are so many things wrong with your post. I don't know where to begin.

Okay, you're going to use a couple old dead guys as examples. Guys that grew up with traditional grip and knew nothing else. They didn't choose traditional grip, that's all anybody used back then.

Buddy was a freak of nature. Nobody may ever claim his talent. However, imagine how much better he could have been if he used matched grip. Again, he used traditional grip because that's all anybody used back then. He didn't have a teacher that taught him, he learned by watching.

Next, it takes A LOT of talent to use "double or triple pedals, x hats, multiple cymbal stacks and 6 cymbals"

It still makes absolutely no sense to use traditional grip in this day and age.

I could go on, but I have to get back to work.
Thank you for doing what I too should have done when I read this. Instead I just walked away shaking my head.

I’m rehearsing with some of the best older jazz players in town later today. My matched grip playing has never stopped the phone ringing.

It’s interesting that most of my trad grip drumming contemporaries have given up due to left hand muscle issues.

Just a coincidence I guess. I’m 80 BTW.

The other old furphy about matched being no good for brushes also irritates me. I made this short video a few years ago and only just remembered it was done playing matched grip brushes. Other than show I’m no more just an enthusiastic amateur it does at least prove brushes can be played with matched grip.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I can't get away from the German grip, been using it all my life, it just feels too natural. I can see the benefits of using traditional on the snare, it feels fine in that pocket, I can work it but hitting toms with traditional is ugly for me.

What do you use? Both? I'd really like to hear feedback on this, I keep trying back and forth with both and I'm wondering what the benefits of traditional are in the long run or should I just stick with what I know.

Thanks
Both! At different times.

The Groove Factor

Reaction score
I can't get away from the German grip, been using it all my life, it just feels too natural. I can see the benefits of using traditional on the snare, it feels fine in that pocket, I can work it but hitting toms with traditional is ugly for me.

What do you use? Both? I'd really like to hear feedback on this, I keep trying back and forth with both and I'm wondering what the benefits of traditional are in the long run or should I just stick with what I know.

Thanks
I really think traditional grip forces matched grip players to play quieter with the right hand in order to balance things....The real issue for most players is they are not loose enough. Once you go through the awkward stages of learning any grip, if done correctly, it doesn't take a lot of muscle tension to execute it.A correct fulcrum is key, and then angles and stick height, releasing ....slow practice staying lose is the key. The hardest part for me, which is similar to what you are saying, when moved around the drum it changes...So , you have many fulcrums now, not just the fingers, you have the wrist ,it is a fulcrum, then the elbow, then the shoulder as described Tommy Igoe..... It's in one of his drumeo videos....His hands for life video may be worth a look...But remember, we are only as good as the music we are playing....Oh, and watch Bill Stewart play matched grip! No one teaches that.... He is super loose.... He gets the sounds he wants.....After watching Bill play, I thought why am I trying to get me traditional chops equal to my matched chops....I should be only expanding at what I am best at....It all comes down to how you want to sound, finding your own voice....So many drummers sound the same..... Back in the 50's 60's maybe even the 80's, you could tell who was who.... When someone is really bringing it musically, you can't hear what grip he is using.....I still love using traditional for certain things, for the way it feels. I will say this though, what Stewart does with his left hand opened my eyes and my mind that it doesn't matter.Thinking about technique with slow down your creativity and that's why so many drummers sound the same. No matter what you do, have fun with it!
Cheers!

The Groove Factor

Reaction score
For me, matched and traditional grips each have their own advantages. I have more relaxed speed and endurance with my arm bent playing on the snare or pad with traditional grip, especially when playing rudimental snare drum etudes with lots of flams, roughs and drags in awkward places.

But, that advantage is lost when I have to straighten my arm to move around the kit and reach for toms and cymbals. In addition, perhaps because I originally learned to play with matched grip, musical ideas and phrases seem to flow more naturally with matched grip. YMMV.

PS: Then there’s brushes.
Good Point....Your not thinking about that transition moving out of the snare playing position.... It is all about musicality at the next level.Thinking to much about technique is like getting stuck.

The Groove Factor

Reaction score
Right here — six minutes and twelve seconds worth.

Wow! Really musical....
Right here — six minutes and twelve seconds worth.

Wow....Really musical....Modern....Matched traditional, as long as it sounds good it doesn't matter.... Grrips are just the extension of our voice....If we want to say new things, we have to practice....

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be missing something. Since he played almost exclusively with trad grip there's no way to know if he had played with matched grip for 40 years how fast he might have been the other way.

My thoughts on the subject are either (any) way you hold sticks will have benefits for some motions while detracting from others.

IVER

Reaction score

Thanks
I have used both traditional and match grips over the years, and now use match grip for everything except when I play wire brushes for jazz. In that situation, I prefer traditional grip for getting the snare drum to sing.

Latest posts