Transport cymbals with sizzles/rivets?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How do you pack up your cymbals with rivets into your cymbal bags?

Just wondering if you have any tricks of the trade to keep the rivets from snagging the cymbal bag fabric, scratching other cymbals, catching your fingers, etc.

Thanks

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bath towel (or large section of one) in-between (cut hole in center of cloth)....every cymbal (old hi hat clutch centering and securing all) Drop (gently rags at the bottom) them into the bag-Go
The towel is a good idea. My cymbal bag has individual sleeves so the clutch won't really work but the towel will. Thanks

Reactions: JDA

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sister makes me what I call cymbal pockets. She makes them out of flannel or sometimes thin blanket material that she gets in the remnants section at her local fabric store... I use these pockets ( some of the newer ones she made have a flap that secures w velcro) in bags with no dividers or as with your issue, when there's a cymbal w rivets in the bag. I have them from 22 down to 15" sizes. If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine you can make a set for about 12 bucks if you're not particular on the fabric lol.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My sister makes me what I call cymbal pockets. She makes them out of flannel or sometimes thin blanket material that she gets in the remnants section at her local fabric store... I use these pockets ( some of the newer ones she made have a flap that secures w velcro) in bags with no dividers or as with your issue, when there's a cymbal w rivets in the bag. I have them from 22 down to 15" sizes. If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine you can make a set for about 12 bucks if you're not particular on the fabric lol.
That's a good idea. Thanks.

NewBeat

Reaction score
1) Separate cymbal bag is best, though may not be particularly convenient.

2) Bag with good dividers.

3) I also sometimes use the heavy poly sleeve that new Zildjian cymbals are sold in - the mil thickness seems selected with possible rivet cymbals in mind, though depending on the rivet installation they still might poke through a little.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple bags with dividers but they are expensive and Im trying not to tear them up outside or inside so I put my K with 8 rivets in a cloth bag then in the divders. I have a couple of cymbals with three rivets and covering them with a micor fleece cloth clipped with a binder clip works well The cloth acts as a muffler for bass, snare, whatever when needed.

ellaguru

Reaction score
i just split my cymbals over 2 bags. I have a Sabian back pack style that holds the 20" w/ rivets and the 15" hats in the outer pouch. The others all go into another Protection Racket bag with dividers. I'd rather carry an extra bag or 2 and distribute any gear tonnage that im hauling.