Trap kit cymbals - Zildjians plus others???

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got these with a trap kit and was wondering if someone could tell me what I might have.
3- 10” unknown
1-11” Zildjian
1- 14” Zildjian
1- 14” unknown
Thanks for any info.

Attachments

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

egw

Reaction score
Wow, those are some really special cymbals. Nice score! Don't let go of them, as I guarantee you you'll never find ones like that again.

Concerning what they are, I'm not the one to tell you. But as soon as Zen gets here, the party will begin.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
and an Ajaha and dime will get you a cup of coffee.
Thanks for any info.
3- inknowns are brass maybe US or Chinese origin
the Ajaha has already been figured out
3- 10” unknown
1-11” Zildjian
1- 14” Zildjian
1- 14” unknown
the 14" American Zildjian you can figure that out it's stamped on it.

You don't have a 'vacation in Hawaii" there you barely have an oil change in $ wise.
Done over. Wanna sell them?
I see these posted at VDF as if some rare diamonds have been uncovered. No pretty much common simbles of the day. Anything else 69 you'd like to get at.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and an Ajaha and dime will get you a cup of coffee.

3- inknowns are brass maybe US or Chinese origin
the Ajaha has already been figured out

the 14" American Zildjian you can figure that out it's stamped on it.

You don't have a 'vacation in Hawaii" there you barely have an oil change in $ wise.
Done over. Wanna sell them?
I see these posted at VDF as if some rare diamonds have been uncovered. No pretty much common simbles of the day. Anything else 69 you'd like to get at.
Hey JDA,
Thanks for the comments.
I don’t drink coffee and I don’t need an oil change. I am not selling the cymbals either I am just trying to put a time period on something that some of us think is interesting.
One of the unknown cymbals says “made in Italy” so I am guessing it is not US or Chinese made , but could be wrong.
Anything else you like to get at? BFBD007D-4D2B-44EC-AD16-1905E843F4EF.jpeg

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Zen, I think I can say the kit that had these was made in the 30's. That is what I was mainly trying to pinpoint.
The kit was taken care of nicely and I figured if someone knew when these were made might date the kit because everything look time period correct.
Thanks again

Wayne

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A nice group of small vintage cymbals you have there. I'd have figured those big bell cymbals were for an early sock style hi hat. But, K zildjian splash cymbals work too. A saw a couple of small early K constantinople "big bell" splashes come across ebay in the past few months. They sold in the $115-$175 range iirc. The one at $115 was immediately flipped a couple times and ended up for sale with a major cymbal player in the $300's. The small 10-12" splash Zildjians pop up fairly often and sell in the $45-$75 range depending on condition and weight. I recently picked up an early 11" XE Ajaha for $34 off Ebay....so they can fetch quite a few cups of coffee. Mine came in handy in pairing up as a bottom hi hat to a lighter 11" Zildjian from that period. If the cymbal is stamped "made in Italy" it almost certainly is. And probably closely related to the UFIP chain. You might also check your cymbals for Alejian, Zenjian and other early stamps because they are often small and hardly visible.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The A Zildjians were indeed identified elsewhere as what are called "second stamps" which is consistent with the late 1930s early 1940s. There is at least one more Italian in among these cymbals but I'm going to wait on that one.

@DrumR69 There are two many too many photos mixed together for me to work through them easily. Please make a separate post for each cymbal and include only the photos of that cymbal in each post. Give the diameter and hopefully the weight as well. I can give quality identifications and quality price expectations but I need better inputs. Or if you are happy with what Joe has said so far we'll just leave it at that.
Thanks Zenstat,
I can do that tomorrow.
I would love to know for sure.

wayne

Iristone

Reaction score
Curious I find for the price of an Ajaha on eBay I can buy 30 coffees in my part of the world. I've seen vintage A Zildjians cheaper than these! :scratch:

slapstick

Reaction score
A nice group of small vintage cymbals you have there. I'd have figured those big bell cymbals were for an early sock style hi hat. But, K zildjian splash cymbals work too. A saw a couple of small early K constantinople "big bell" splashes come across ebay in the past few months. They sold in the $115-$175 range iirc. The one at $115 was immediately flipped a couple times and ended up for sale with a major cymbal player in the $300's. The small 10-12" splash Zildjians pop up fairly often and sell in the $45-$75 range depending on condition and weight. I recently picked up an early 11" XE Ajaha for $34 off Ebay....so they can fetch quite a few cups of coffee. Mine came in handy in pairing up as a bottom hi hat to a lighter 11" Zildjian from that period. If the cymbal is stamped "made in Italy" it almost certainly is. And probably closely related to the UFIP chain. You might also check your cymbals for Alejian, Zenjian and other early stamps because they are often small and hardly visible.
some of the star and moon stamps were rassems---italian made and very much around in the swing band era ---in the u.k at least.,,.,..,great small cymbals and they made the thinnest cymbals ive ever come across, almost melt in your hand,,..,.