Traps drums! What????

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I was in G.C. Fresno yesterday and I was walking out, I ran into a former G.C. drum employee buddy of mine going in. We chatted and went back to the drums dept. He saw a used Traps kit and pulled it out. I had seen it when I was looking earlier but had no clue what it was as it was up against a wall under some other drums.

He said he picked one up a few months ago for practice. After watching him play it and after I played it, I had to grab it! It is a 4 piece (10"/1"2/14"FT/20") with the rack and two retractable cymbal boom arms built in. Literally, just add a HH stand/HH, a snare/stand and a pedal, and I can't believe the sound he was getting. It was so loud, they closed the doors on the drum dept! It has Evans hydraulic heads (blue with blue felt, too) and a Super kick bass batter. Of course, due to the police hold, I can't pick it up until 6/6, but I am very excited about it. And I think I will be replacing my suitcase kit that I use to rehearse with my band. As cool and as fun as that kit is, it sounds like junk and is hokey. This kit played like a real kit, sounded amazing for what it was with those heads, and it looked so sharp with the chrome & blue......and they were pretty cheap. Very exciting.....I will update this when I get them..........

Any tips/experience with these drums is appreciated.......

20190506_200442.jpg
20190506_200436.jpg

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one years ago and didn't like it. Never could get it to sound good (for me) and ended up piecing it out since I couldn't sell the whole thing locally. That and the plastic mounts triggered my OCD for some reason.
There's a guy here in NC who's been selling one on Craigslist for a month or 2 with the price going up and down between $275 and $400.
Hope you have better luck than I did with it!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just need something quick to set up and that sounds decent. As novel and gimmicky as the suitcase kit is, these sound way better. I may keep the 10" Pearl popcorn snare I use on the suitcase kit and find a way to mount it to this tube which will lighten my load a little.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a set of the Arbitor Flats. I actually liked mine. I used it for church and quick fly out the door gigs.
It has a cool case that fits everything so it’s a breeze to carry.
I got a very good sound out of mine. I paired it with paper thin cymbals. The drums don’t require a heavy hand if the head choice and tensioning is worked out. Mine had nice tone ... even with a soft touch.
Great quick kit.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Intriguing! But, a police hold! Hate to hear that; that doesn't happen in OKC that I'm aware.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Intriguing! But, a police hold! Hate to hear that; that doesn't happen in OKC that I'm aware.
It's the law in California. Resale requires a wait time to clear. Even GC and others abide by this.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it happen everywhere? You can't but used items from GC for 30 days after they get them in case they are stolen. I mean you can buy them, you just can't take them home.

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a set about ten years ago. The toms sounded really great, but the kick never really made it for me. A guitarist friend of mine bought one to keep at his house for has band rehearsals, and apparently it works fiine for that.

I paired the toms (and the Traps snare) with a regular bass drum for a nice little jam-o-rino kit. The tom receivers accept Yamaha arms.

DrumKit-08 003.jpg

DrumKit-08 010.jpg

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I was been wanting one of these for a long time, but finally picked up a REMO Legero instead. Tried the Hydraulics and HATED IT. Went back to the clear Pinstripes that these kits were originally equipped with and they are more than serviceable. I've played many gigs and NO ONE NOTICES that the drums are in any way different. I did pick up an old Mapex Mars bass drum and had it cut down to about 13" deep as I do prefer a double headed bass drum. But these are so self contained they are brilliant for certain situations.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a RIMS Headset kit that is very similar. Just used it on a gig this past Friday - it sounds amazingly good, especially for recording.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For rehearsals, where I just need a drum tone (not necessarily a room filling tone), they should work. No cases, though, nor the snare. Just the rack, 4 drums & 2 cymbal holders - that's fine.

Yeah, the CA law is annoying because it seems like 9 out of 10 times I am in GC looking to buy a used item, I am excited about it and then it hits me - I can't take it home until X date. I am 3 hours from that particular GC so I have to go back for work (should be in June).

I was actually figuring out how to pack it up, break it down and get it into the house (ie: counting my chickens before they hatched!) before I actually checked the release date, which was painful! The good news is that it was put out yesterday so I scooped it up the first day it was on the floor. The way my buddy was playing it (he has killer gospel chops), there is just NO way that sound/tone was coming out of that bodyless kit.....

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So a head and a rim all by itself can make a viable sound? Amazing.
Sure... think of the Roto-Toms too. A very long time ago I heard one of those TRAPS kits mic'ed up and was really surprised at how good it sounded.
I think many folks underestimate just how much the drum sound is produced just by the batter head/top bearing edge.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it happen everywhere? You can't but used items from GC for 30 days after they get them in case they are stolen. I mean you can buy them, you just can't take them home.
It's different everywhere you go. In Peoria, Illinois there is a 10 day hold and all the pawn shops and GC abide by that. 30 miles away in Bloomington-Normal....no such hold. Same day availability.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had one of these kits for awhile; looks like you found a good solution for the weakest part (bass). Toms were decent, snare was surprisingly nice. Only issue I had was, some of the tuning rod seats (lugs if you will) started to fail after a couple years.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If all goes well, I will play the kit for 1 hour/week and it won't be bashing....more of a coffee-shop type volume. I have plenty of smaller kits but I don't have the time to set them up and tear down due to the kids' numerous games/activities/birthday parties/etc. on Saturdays. I want to literally be able to bring it in and set up in 5 minutes.

My current suitcase kit setup is a 4 piece with hats, splash & ride and takes 6 minutes to set up, but sounds like junk......

Latest posts