Tribute and Thanks to Bongo Congo

drummerdude

RIP Bongo Congo, you are missed!
Reaction score
thought i would start this to let others express their feelings toward BC.

my journey with BC began back in 2006. He posted a set of drums on a local music forum. I didnt know what kind they were but they were priced nice. My wife and i were both losing our jobs and told him that. he told me he would drop the price and take payment with postage stamps if thats what it took.

so i met him to pick them up. they were in hard cases. he opened up the cases and appeared a very nice set of Yamaha Recording Customs! couldnt believe it. showroom quality. i tried to find a way to give him more and he wouldnt take it.

then i started doing monthly drummer meetings. just drummers getting together and learning things and tryin out gear. he would furnish raffle prizes, from cymbals to snares.

he has assisted with snares, he was a huge DW fan and didnt want me to have anything but the best. I now have 4 DW snares and the Yamaha Recording snare.

over the years we would go visit him and his wife. have dinner and just hang out. i would take him drum gear on occasions as well.

he would tell me about the songs he was writing and recording, or the book he was writing.

a few years ago, he asked me what my ultimate kit would be, sizes, colors and number of toms. i told him. and i never thought another thing about it. but i guess i knew better as he was always up to something.

we had invited him and his wife up for thanksgiving last year. they had a wonderful time and he asked me to go out to the car with him. he had brought my ultimate kit! he wouldnt let me pay for them. he stated it was the last kit he would ever buy (little did we know).

Mitch wasnt only the music mentor to me but a great friend. He was part of my family and i believed he felt the same way.

i'm sure others have stories of his kindness, would love to hear them.

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great tribute... Thanks for sharing your memories.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I loved the way he would change his monkey avatar up to show the different holiday seasons, and I remember several threads where I would burst out laughing at every single post of his. I've not known many people who could captivate people so well by his written words. DFO is fortunate to have had him as a member, and I consider myself very fortunate to get to know him through his DFO posts.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
bongo congo showed me his generous self not too long after I joined the forum, if I remember correctly. he had bought some assorted parts simply based on a picture. I identified one of the items in it as it was an uncommon piece. he mailed it to me and wouldn't accept any payment. it really surprised me that someone would do this with someone that they didn't even know. it touched me and I have tried to do the same with others. each time I do it, it feels good. so mitch, thank you for your generous soul and for helping many of us feel good.

mike

drummerdude

RIP Bongo Congo, you are missed!
Reaction score
you know as i was watching him lay there yesterday, i thought of all the pictures i took of the zoo trips we took together, none of them are of him or his wife. my daughter may have some on her phone i will check.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, a sad day indeed, he and I conversed thru the pm system. He was always very supportive and active here.

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am very sad to hear about Bongo Congo, but very happy to have met him, even though it was online, and not in real life.

Bongo?If you look down on me drumming in the future, I promise to try to not look as serious, and loosen up and look like I am having more fun, believe in myself and become a great drummer ( hopefully!) and I feel proud you said I was one of your favourite drummers on here,
night night
from Spooky
:hello2:

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
He had an incredible sense of humor. I recall the thread on band promos last winter where he had a dozen of the funniest posts I ever read here. Then there was his other side where he debated the Big Bang of the universe and floored me with his knowledge and understanding of astrophysics and philosophy.

jim

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bongo was always a stand up guy! I enjoyed reading his posts.

Not long after I joined here I was looking for some maple bass drum hoops. He sent them to me at no charge. I couldn't help but send him at least the money for postage but he still insisted on me not doing so.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
That man made this place all that much better by his participation.

I'll miss his humor and the sheer intellegence of his posts.

I remember the big bang thread,and I too was blown away by his posts on the subject.

I guess that there isn't much to say ,that I haven't already said,so I'll just say good bye my cyber friend.

Steve B

Asher

Reaction score
Wow, what a guy. I didn't know how generous he was, I just enjoyed his great wit.

I'm about to load up the drums for an afternoon gig. This one's for you, Bongo.

ETA: Is anyone interested putting together/contributing towards a tribute to BC, some way to "pay forward" his generosity? Maybe there's a school somewhere that needs a drumset, or a music program in need? Were there any particular causes close to his heart?

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
Bongo and I had quite the conversation about his impending blindness. The funniest part of the conversation was he encouraging the bad blind man jokes!!!

I never saw the generous side of him at least in material ways, but he was always a gentleman and was generous to me when I needed to converse via PM. Never did I think that when I had done my self-imposed exile that his post was the last response from him in one of my threads.

Heaven will certainly be a more interesting place thanks to his passing.

fxp3

Reaction score
Man, your tribute to his generosity brought tears to my eyes. God bless him.
Frank

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I first joined the forum, I posted about a PDP FS series kit I found at a pawn shop for 80 bucks. I went on to say that it was in great shape and all it needed was a BD hoop and hardware. Mitch immediately replied, "You see, that's why you never throw anything away. I have your hoop and hardware, if you PM your address I will ship them out to you as soon as I can."

I was floored... I hadn't been here on DFO all that long and I couldn't get over how someone could be so generous. Since then I have tried to pay it forward by offering shipping services of drums that were available in my area to other DFO'rs who wanted them and giving heads up on what I felt were good buys on CL and Ebay. By doing that I've learned about vintage kits and cymbals and has broadened my limited knowledge a tad. All because of a man named Mitch Drago, who took the initiative to reach out, to share and to make this community a great place... of which I'm proud to be involved in. It's a sad day indeed... I'm glad to say that Mitch has been on my friends list and will remain there.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Great story. It is hard to lose a great friend like that for sure. Just try to carry on his legacy and remember the kind of person he was every day. Hang in there.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of you knew him much better than I did, but I am deeply saddened nonetheless. I never skipped over his posts... they were always good and often witty. I never knew about his great generosity or even that his name was Mitch, until he was gone. I will miss him, ...we all will.