Tribute band...look alike?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in a Zeppelin tribute band because Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time and my deserted island album could literally be an isolated Bonham drum track. It's just fun. I've played in original bands before and that always got real stressful real fast. I'm just about finished with the Zeppelin group, but it's the longest I've been in a band since high school because the stakes are much lower. Crowds love us and we always have people who saw Zeppelin live come up and tell us we sound just like them (which is not true, but they're drunk and having a good time).

If anyone wants to say originality is a barrier to entry to music, you can go to hell.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of tribute band bashing on this thread, but who's paying the bills? I still play and record original music, both my own and those of others, but the reality is that Joe Public will choose to watch the hackiest band of sh*tty hacks desecrating classic rock songs over a brilliant original act. It's sad. I doubt an original act can even get booked in most of the places near me(outside NYC). So, I play in many cover and tribute groups. I'm not in my 20's and have no illusions of "making it" in an original band. I did my time in the late 80's/90's. Gigs are not plentiful, at least by me, so anyone that would turn down a cover or tribute gig that pays? I'd call them foolish.

Don't understand the appeal? People like what's familiar and what reminds them of great times in their life. Simple. Joe Public isn't discerning as we might be. He's probably just looking for a nice night out.

I do not dress up in any tribute band. I don't even use period-correct equipment, though I did use a Gretsch kit with the Stones band.

I've seen plenty of impressive tribute bands, but the dressing up thing? Argh, I understand, but hopefully, I'll never have to. I cannot be made to look like Ringo/Charlie/Peart or whomever. May I never have to wear a satin Sgt. Pepper outfit. I have a gut and I'd look horrendous.

Dan

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well said Dan. There are only a couple of bands that lasted long enough to warrant a change of clothes that would enhance the new musical direction..eg; The Beatles....so I guess for you, botox, tummy tucks, face lifts, etc :headbang:are out of the question?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've read every post here and, like many, am tired of the bashing that many give to tribute bands. Dan did say it best!

Some months ago, I posted a You Tube link to a Russian-Ukranian group of musicians that perform as a "Chicago" tribute band. They are called "Leonid and Friends". Look them up on You Tube. They also do some Earth, Wind and Fire and Blood, Sweat and Tears tunes. The majority of them are probably studio musicians, but are having a great time giving new life to songs that many of us grew up with.

Myself? I love hearing these bands duplicate the recording session songs I remember. The majority of these original bands just don't seem to sound as good today as when in their heyday. Just my two cents!

-Mark

dsop

Reaction score
I think it all started with Beatlemania back in the late 70s. Those guys were amazing, and the guy who played Paul really looked like him a lot. If you sat a bit in the back, it was as if you were seeing the Beatles live.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves that seems to be present of many drum discussion groups is this snobbery toward cover and tribute bands. Often other musicians feel that they are illegitimate and that only engaging in original projects is a legitimate place to work.

Let's face it: the vast majority of us are amateurs and will never attain any mainstream success. Other than some local following and maybe a modest number of followers on youtube that is going to be it, so I don't get the attitude unless most of the bashers are young and still have their egos turned up to 11.

I have been involved with a strictly original project and another project that did covers and some originals. The first project recorded and played out several times only to be cut short by the singer songwriter moving back home. While I still think that many of the songs were very good I knew that after a while our friends would stop coming and it would have been a very uphill slog and would have probably stopped being fun really quick. We did two cover songs which went over really well. People seemed more excited by the covers because they knew the songs. The second band got much better response from the cover songs. The originals in that band weren't that great.

The rest of what I have done has been covers. I enjoy that much more because people know the songs and there is less stress because of that.

I don't want to bring anyone here into this so I won't name them but there is one member who is in a tribute band and also was in another one. I haven't seen either one live but both have videos online. Both are excellent. The singers sound the part and the musicianship is top notch. The drumming is very accurate and played well. It appears that they play some pretty big events as well as smaller ones. I just don't get how what they do is somehow less than some some local band doing originals that will never go anywhere.

Doing covers and tribute work is equally challenging, perhaps more so because of the need to learn songs and play them as accurately as possible. When they are your own songs, assuming you even attempt to play them the same, it is easier because you came up with the parts.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play with the Dave Matthews Tribute Band. Have Carter's exact kit and this gig is a blast. Get to play mh favorite songs of all time, some of them anyway. Trying to play Carter's parts is nothing short of a complete workout.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves that seems to be present of many drum discussion groups is this snobbery toward cover and tribute bands. Often other musicians feel that they are illegitimate and that only engaging in original projects is a legitimate place to work.

Let's face it: the vast majority of us are amateurs and will never attain any mainstream success. Other than some local following and maybe a modest number of followers on youtube that is going to be it, so I don't get the attitude unless most of the bashers are young and still have their egos turned up to 11.

I have been involved with a strictly original project and another project that did covers and some originals. The first project recorded and played out several times only to be cut short by the singer songwriter moving back home. While I still think that many of the songs were very good I knew that after a while our friends would stop coming and it would have been a very uphill slog and would have probably stopped being fun really quick. We did two cover songs which went over really well. People seemed more excited by the covers because they knew the songs. The second band got much better response from the cover songs. The originals in that band weren't that great.

The rest of what I have done has been covers. I enjoy that much more because people know the songs and there is less stress because of that.

I don't want to bring anyone here into this so I won't name them but there is one member who is in a tribute band and also was in another one. I haven't seen either one live but both have videos online. Both are excellent. The singers sound the part and the musicianship is top notch. The drumming is very accurate and played well. It appears that they play some pretty big events as well as smaller ones. I just don't get how what they do is somehow less than some some local band doing originals that will never go anywhere.

Doing covers and tribute work is equally challenging, perhaps more so because of the need to learn songs and play them as accurately as possible. When they are your own songs, assuming you even attempt to play them the same, it is easier because you came up with the parts.
Oh, covers are way harder than originals. I was in an originals band, never played a wrong note!

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the area I grew up in and lived most my life (north burbs Chicago) many of my friends are in multiple different tributes bands from Def Leppard, Queesryche, Poison, to Chicago, Steely Dan, to Primus etc....they all do very well when it comes to pay. Theyre all really decent bands as well. They all get a pretty large following to. Not my cup of tea, but its surely a popular craze right now.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
A friend of mine is crazy for ZOSO and dragged me to a show. They’re note-for-note perfect. I don’t know what combination of wigs, makeup and Hollywood special effects are used, but it’s pretty impressive when it’s all being blasted at you at intense volume. View attachment 428717
Well, if everyone else is pretty much a mirror image of the person they are portraying up on stage, then the drummer needs to get with the program and mount that tom on the base drum. I can't find a single picture of Bonham with his small tom mounted on it's own stand. I could be seeing things wrong in this pic. And maybe not.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read every post here and, like many, am tired of the bashing that many give to tribute bands. Dan did say it best!

Some months ago, I posted a You Tube link to a Russian-Ukranian group of musicians that perform as a "Chicago" tribute band. They are called "Leonid and Friends". Look them up on You Tube. They also do some Earth, Wind and Fire and Blood, Sweat and Tears tunes. The majority of them are probably studio musicians, but are having a great time giving new life to songs that many of us grew up with.

Myself? I love hearing these bands duplicate the recording session songs I remember. The majority of these original bands just don't seem to sound as good today as when in their heyday. Just my two cents!

-Mark
Just listened to the Leonid and Friends cover of "Spinning Wheel," and it's a hoot. Very talented musicians, middle age paunch, and the drummer nails Bobby Columby's drum parts. I'll be watching some more of these, so thanks for posting about them.

By the way, it's cool how the Russian accents come thru: "Park all your troubles by the reever side. . . " I love it.

GeeDeeEmm

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just listened to the Leonid and Friends cover of "Spinning Wheel," and it's a hoot. Very talented musicians, middle age paunch, and the drummer nails Bobby Columby's drum parts. I'll be watching some more of these, so thanks for posting about them.

By the way, it's cool how the Russian accents come thru: "Park all your troubles by the reever side. . . " I love it.

GeeDeeEmm
Leonid and Friends is a simply incredible sounding tribute band! Their drummer is fantastic and pretty much nails all the songs as they were recorded in the studio versions. If you watch multiple videos, he uses different Spaun kits. I wonder how much it cost to import Spaun Drums into Russia!! As you watch all the videos, I'm sure you'll notice their incredibly talented, and beautiful, back-up singer, Ksenia Buzina. There are also songs with a complete string section, too! I really enjoy this tribute band!

-Mark

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
See that right there, Leonid and Friends, is why I say so many of these tribute drummers are so dedicated and hardworking to nail their part.... Really respect them.
A wicked thought popped into my head while enjoying that link: My wife is an import, not born here, and hasn't heard a lot of these bands from the 60's and 70's. Maybe I shed for some specific chops and get in a band like that and tell her, "No, honey, these are all originals we wrote...."

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's Leonid and Friends performing "Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind and Fire. Our music is truly universal...and brings cultures together!!

-Mark

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As you watch all the videos, I'm sure you'll notice their incredibly talented, and beautiful, back-up singer, Ksenia Buzina.

-Mark
Oh, my. . . Oh, my! She looks like a cross between Shannon Tweed, Shania Twain, and Rachel Welch. That kind of beauty is . . . distracting.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts