Tribute to "The Chief" in the latest MD

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Whatever your feelings about MD, the October issue that I received today is highly recommended. There is an interesting and comprehensive article on Bill Ludwig II that really does a nice job of paying tribute to this great man. And, I say "great man" not merely because I play the brand of drums that he and his father were responsible for, but because of his love of percussion and his role as an ambassador for drums and drumming. From everything that I've read and seen, he genuinely cared about what he did, and got a lot of fulfillment from sharing his vast knowledge and being a mentor to others. There are some very heartfelt remeniscing by Ed Shaughnessy, Bill III and his sister Brooke, Joe Morello, Alan White and Jim Catalano, among others. A good read!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I met the man in 1990 at a clinic with Dave Weckl. He did a whole history on drums. I had very little respect for Ludwig drums before the show. After the show I had great respect for the man and Ludwig, so much in fact that my next new drum set was a Ludwig Super Classic.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds interesting.
I'll have to snag that issue (don't buy too many issues of MD anymore).
Who's on the cover?

I met Bill Ludwig II on a couple of occasions and also had some correspondence with him over the years....a very nice fellow.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Sounds interesting.
I'll have to snag that issue (don't buy too many issues of MD anymore).
Who's on the cover?

I met Bill Ludwig II on a couple of occasions and also had some correspondence with him over the years....a very nice fellow.
Todd Sucherman of Styx is on the cover, KO.

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never met the man, but back in the late 70's, the top rim of my Supra 400 split in half. I ordered another, and because it was the only snare drum I owned at the time, I went out and bought a used SlingerLeedy to use on gigs. I waited-and waited-and waited-for the rim to arrive at my local drumshop. It must have been two months. Finally, I wrote Mr. Ludwig a letter. Seven days later, the rim showed up, finally. He must have read someone the riot act and the rim was shipped.
:notworthy:

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just read it. Great artical.I met the man twice.As he did for every one, signed several drums for me.

If I remember he was not a fan of vistalites.I am not as well so we kind of connected.

He was not a Buddy Rich fan because of all the endorsement changes he made.I thing he made a comment something like " he even played those Trixon things ". I loved it.