Trick Pro 1-V or DW Control beater?

gbow

Reaction score
Looking for a new beater, I've always used whatever came with the pedal and have generally used Pearl pedals. But looking for an upgrade.

The Trick Pro 1-V beater and the DW control beater look very similar. The DW is about $12 cheaper. Anyone have experience with both of these? Or maybe something similar from another company?

These things last a long time, so price isn't an overriding factor, but at the same time if something is just as good for less.

gabo

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know this is not one of your choices , but I just cannot express how great the Danmar Zoro model square felt beater is . You can get a big thump due to the sheer mass actually hitting the batter head . It also works remarkably well for feathering the bass drum as well . Really well made as well .

gbow

Reaction score
I know this is not one of your choices , but I just cannot express how great the Danmar Zoro model square felt beater is . You can get a big thump due to the sheer mass actually hitting the batter head . It also works remarkably well for feathering the bass drum as well . Really well made as well .
I'll have to go look at that one. I'm not tied to anything, those to came up because of being able to easily adjust them for flat and square contact on the head, plus the adjustable weights to dial in what you like. Flat and square contact sounds better and also doesn't wear out heads as fast, that's of prime importance.

Having said that, I'm not all that particular about pedals like some people. I can play just about any pedal without issue, so goes to reason I can do the same with just about any beater.

However, at this point in my career, it never hurts to tweak a bit more performance out of things.

gabo

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a Trick Pro 1-V Big Foot double pedal that came with those beaters. I've not used the DW versions but they certainly have a few more options than the Pro 1-V.
You can get different surfaces (Al = Delrin/Plastic/Felt) for the Pro 1-V but it looks like that is a separate purchase outside the stock Delrin. The DW has the different playing surface options too, but also offers the additional option to adjust the weight of the beater head. I think that is a kind of nice if you're looking for it. I do like the idea of a bit more mass on the beater, and that DW set-up let's you tune it up a bit... You would have to look for a shaft weight for the Pro 1-V if you wanted to add mass (at additional cost, and it's a bit counter to the whole light-weight approach of that beater).

I see you're looking a t flat/square options, are you looking also to change out of or stay with felt?

I don't know if you've seen this resource, but this might be right up your alley...
http://drummagazine.com/beat-it-43-bass-drum-beaters-reviewed/

gbow

Reaction score
Thanks for that review, I had not found that one!!
I've got a Trick Pro 1-V Big Foot double pedal that came with those beaters. I've not used the DW versions but they certainly have a few more options than the Pro 1-V.
You can get different surfaces (Al = Delrin/Plastic/Felt) for the Pro 1-V but it looks like that is a separate purchase outside the stock Delrin. The DW has the different playing surface options too, but also offers the additional option to adjust the weight of the beater head. I think that is a kind of nice if you're looking for it. I do like the idea of a bit more mass on the beater, and that DW set-up let's you tune it up a bit... You would have to look for a shaft weight for the Pro 1-V if you wanted to add mass (at additional cost, and it's a bit counter to the whole light-weight approach of that beater).

I see you're looking a t flat/square options, are you looking also to change out of or stay with felt?

I don't know if you've seen this resource, but this might be right up your alley...
http://drummagazine.com/beat-it-43-bass-drum-beaters-reviewed/

Thanks for that, I did not realize the Trick didn't have weight adjustments. That, along with the $12 might just the deciding factor vs the DW.

For the most part I've always stuck with the hard felt, although it's more out of habit than actually testing and listening.

But before I make a final decision, I'll check that article. That looks to have a lot of info. I had not found that one, so thanks!!

gabo

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I did not realize the Trick didn't have weight adjustments. That, along with the $12 might just the deciding factor vs the DW.
For the most part I've always stuck with the hard felt, although it's more out of habit than actually testing and listening.
But before I make a final decision, I'll check that article. That looks to have a lot of info. I had not found that one, so thanks!!

gabo
There is/are weight available for bass drum beaters that slide up the shaft and can be tightened in place. A couple of the DW's come with them.
Pearl has probably the best looking one called the BW-100: https://www.pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-pedals/accessories/
The Tama version is called a Beater Balancer BC7 (not as deluxe as the Pearl)... also I think that Gibraltar makes something like that as well.
Speaking of Gibraltar, they do have a beater called the SC-3265 that is dual surfaced (acrylic/felt) and has 3 weights that slide up into the beater:
https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-3265/ There is a video on that link too.

I also ran across this article as well hosted at the Drum Head Authority site:

gbow

Reaction score
Thanks Hop, that's good info and those look like great options as well. However, after reading the long article and considering what you guys have said, I purchased the DW control XL.

It'll be a few days before it arrives, but I'll post my review when I get it.

Thanks, gabo

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good choice... looking forward to your feedback on the DeeDub!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know I'm late to this conversation and question, but I'll respond anyway.
I have the Trick Pro1-V pedal with factory beater. It's the only beater I regularly use. Very light, and very adjustable as far as where you want it to hit on the head. I love mine.
Hope your DW works out for you.

Stretch

Blisco

Reaction score
Thanks Hop, that's good info and those look like great options as well. However, after reading the long article and considering what you guys have said, I purchased the DW control XL.

It'll be a few days before it arrives, but I'll post my review when I get it.

Thanks, gabo
I'll want to hear what you think, too.

gbow

Reaction score
I know I'm late to this conversation and question, but I'll respond anyway.
I have the Trick Pro1-V pedal with factory beater. It's the only beater I regularly use. Very light, and very adjustable as far as where you want it to hit on the head. I love mine.
Hope your DW works out for you.

Stretch
Thanks for that Stretch. Knowing Trick products, I'm sure it's really great, and I've read several reviews stating how good it is. But I've likewise read equally good things about the DW, so we'll see.

gabo

gbow

Reaction score
I finally received my DW control XL beater, shipping a bit long these days.

Here's the package
IMG_20200528_160611.jpg

And here's the contents once opened up. Two beater pads, felt and wood, an allen wrench used to adjust the angle of the head, and a small bag for storing the extra pad, wrench, and any unused weights.
IMG_20200528_160929.jpg

Here's a closeup of the back, showing the individual weights.
IMG_20200528_160757.jpg

The felt/wood heads unscrew from the head of the beater which then allows you to remove/install the weights. Here's a photo with the head removed. I do not like that the head has a plastic bit with threads that screws into the beater. I don't think the plastic will cause a problem as it's not under stress when played, but I would prefer something more substantial.
IMG_20200528_161009.jpg

Here shows how the weights go in, it's a clever design that is very simple.
IMG_20200528_160958.jpg

Here I'm adjusting the head with the allen wrench to align flat on the bass drum head.
IMG_20200528_162954_modified.jpg

The head is quite nice, the only complaint I have is the plastic threads on the different head pieces. But as I said, they won't incur any stress so I'm not sure it's a problem.

In playing the beater. With all the weights installed (4 of them), the beater is quite heavy and gives a really good hard hit. It sounds great like this, but a bit too heavy for me as it killed my speed and maybe a bit of my finesse.

I removed one weight, still pretty heavy compared to my stock Pearl beater. With this setting, it still delivered a really hard hit and was a bit easier to play. I played it like this for a couple of days and even though I liked the sound, it was still a bit too heavy for my liking.

So I removed a 2nd weight, leaving 2 in the beater. This is still heavier than my stock beater and again delivers a nice hard hit. I like this setting and will keep it like this. Compared to my stock Pearl beater, this sounds better, delivering a harder hit and more power but still able to feather and finesse the pedal.

With this setting I next focused on the felt vs wood. At first I liked the wood, giving a very powerful sound with a good high end "click" to the kick drum. But after playing a while I thought the "click" was just a little too much. It would be nice for a hard rock/metal sound but for my style I wanted a little less "click."

The felt is actually quite good. It's hard so still delivers a good "click" but not too much. It's not soft and/or mushy at all, so if you're into a softer head/sound you might not like this beater.

Next I moved it to my eKit. I removed all the weights to see how it played there. With that setup, it was lighter then my original Pearl beater, which produced a faster playing style and quiet operation, which was the desire for the eKit.

Overall I think this is a really good beater. The offered weights allow you to set it up as very light to very heavy with good steps in between, so adjusting it to something you like is easy to achieve. The design is good and the adjustments allow you to align it for exact flat contact with your head. It does remain to be determined if the plastic threads cause any issue, my thought is they will not, but it is the one thing I would change.

The price is also quite good, at ~$30 this is a very good option. I would give it about an 8 out of 10. Subtracting one point for the plastic threads, and another point just because I rarely ever give anything a 10/10 :)

gabo

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good feedback/write-up on your experience with the product.

So the "head" that holds the weights and that the wood/felt pads screw into is all plastic (not just the thread portion)? I wonder if they went all metal on that head what that might add to the part cost & performance??? Overall sounds like a pretty good product.

gbow

Reaction score
Good feedback/write-up on your experience with the product.

So the "head" that holds the weights and that the wood/felt pads screw into is all plastic (not just the thread portion)? I wonder if they went all metal on that head what that might add to the part cost & performance??? Overall sounds like a pretty good product.
Thanks, yes the entire thing is plastic. It would certainly add to the cost for it to be metal. It would also add to the weight, resulting in a heavier "minimum" weight. I suppose they could adjust the size of the weights to compensate for the higher weights but the minimum weight would be more.

Since the threads and part are impacting at 90 degrees from the threaded part, it should be ok. But might get worn if you changed heads often, not something I would do really. I think it will be fine.

noreastbob, I think it's worth it, give it a go.

gabo

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I’ve been using this DW beater for the past couple of years and really love it. Haven’t even tried the wooden surface yet because the felt sounds so good :)

Latest posts