TRICK strainer (Chinese Knockoff) Report

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I received this "Trick" style swivel-action (Rotory) strainer today from China. It's CNC machined aluminum and appears to closely resemble a genuine Trick throwoff. There is no branding or logo present.

The mounting hole spacing is just slightly under 1" center to center, same as a "real" Trick.

I haven't installed it so I'm not yet certain if it has the "3 detented steps" feature, but upon quick inspection it doesn't appear to.
The overall operation feels pretty good, though, for a copy.

Butt and mounting screws are included and it ships free and quickly from China.
I gave $21.39 and I'm a satisfied customer considering the genuine article retails for $85 or something.

SN852216.JPG
SN852217.JPG
SN852214.JPG

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kind of like carburetors for small Honda engines. You can only buy an original through a Honda dealer, and not online. They are extremely expensive. At the dealer, they'd rather charge you to do the full replacement for even more money. But Amazon has a ton from China that are exact knockoffs starting at about $20 or so. I replaced the carb on my pressure washer engine with one of these about five years ago. No issues.

That said, there is a side of me that respects Honda for sticking with its dealers.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I received this "Trick" style swivel-action (Rotory) strainer today from China. It's CNC machined aluminum and appears to be equivalent to a genuine Trick throwoff in every way, in fact, I suspect it could be made by the same machinists at the same plant.
From the Trick website:

Trick products are manufactured with pride in Chicago, U.S.A.

So, unless Trick is lying, no.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is proof that there is literally nothing the Chinese won't copy or counterfeit. How niche can you get?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of like carburetors for small Honda engines. You can only buy an original through a Honda dealer, and not online. They are extremely expensive. At the dealer, they'd rather charge you to do the full replacement for even more money. But Amazon has a ton from China that are exact knockoffs starting at about $20 or so. I replaced the carb on my pressure washer engine with one of these about five years ago. No issues.

That said, there is a side of me that respects Honda for sticking with its dealers.
From what I've read the legitimate Chinese Honda copies are licensed from Honda so at least Honda get's something in return.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This should get interesting real fast.
Same as last weeks thread about those bargain Chinese cymbal stands. I would refresh the page every hour anxiously awaiting for the next posts, LOL!!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From the Trick website:

Trick products are manufactured with pride in Chicago, U.S.A.

So, unless Trick is lying, no.
I think I would have to agree. Based on the picture of the real one vs. the copy, it looks like the copy is rough. The real one looks smooth & shiny.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is proof that there is literally nothing the Chinese won't copy or counterfeit. How niche can you get?

I kind of see what you mean. Drum strainers are such a small niche market that you would think there wouldn't be enough demand to even warrant a copy.

I've never worked in manufacturing but even if the labor is cheap wouldn't there be a certain amount of costs for tooling and such. It just seems like it wouldn't be worth it.......unless there's a way bigger demand for Trick strainers than I realize.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As Irod1707 said, the difference in build quality is obvious. The knock-off looks like it was cast in a mold hand shaped by a child (probably was) and spray painted with shiny silver paint.
Definitely a case of "You get what you pay for."

kzoosteve

Reaction score
If it works out and you're happy that's all that matters. For me, I don't own any snares I'd want cheaper or riskier strainers on. I'd spend the extra 25 and get an INDe strainer (which is my personal favorite).

-Steve

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I kind of see what you mean. Drum strainers are such a small niche market that you would think there wouldn't be enough demand to even warrant a copy.

I've never worked in manufacturing but even if the labor is cheap wouldn't there be a certain amount of costs for tooling and such. It just seems like it wouldn't be worth it.......unless there's a way bigger demand for Trick strainers than I realize.
These items are super easy to copy - simply use a hand-held 3d scanner and program that data into a CNC machine (or dismantle the original parts and make some cast/molds).
Why do it? The manufacturing companies are incentivized & subsidized by the government and there is absolutely no fear of prosecution from copyright/patent infringement... if the offending manufacturer loses a case in the U.S., how would one collect? I'm sure they would merely close "the" company at 9:00 and re-open as "another" company by 9:15 or 9:30 tops.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think I would have to agree. Based on the picture of the real one vs. the copy, it looks like the copy is rough. The real one looks smooth & shiny.
FYI, the copy version is nearly indistinguishable from a genuine Trick strainer which I also have.
With the exception of no indent feature and the lack of branding, this knockoff is the same item.

As Irod1707 said, the difference in build quality is obvious. The knock-off looks like it was cast in a mold hand shaped by a child (probably was) and spray painted with shiny silver paint.
Definitely a case of "You get what you pay for."
My photo detail probably isn't ideal - but your decision to trust what I've stated in this short evaluation regarding the quality will be entirely up to you. I'm happy with my purchase, thanks.

kallen49

Reaction score
Is there a connection between the topic of this thread and this weekend’s NY Times editorial titled “Is it too late to stop a Cold War with China?”
I apologize if this is considered politics. I do own a made in China Yamaha Kit but it was not cheap.
If I needed a new throw off I would also buy an Inde product.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Is there a connection between the topic of this thread and this weekend’s NY Times editorial titled “Is it too late to stop a Cold War with China?”
No.
None intended.
I simply posted this item as a "heads up" report on a functional item I bought at a lower cost.