Trick strainer for a 4 inch shell?

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Will a Trick strainer work on a four-inch deep snare drum?

There was a nickel works strainer previously, and the 7/8" vertically spaced holes are located in the middle of the shell. My concern is the Trick seems to be much taller, and I can't tell if it would draw the snares from above the bearing edge.

Also, any other suggestions for a 7/8" vertical hole spacing strainer, with 1" horizontal butt-end spacing?

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks cool but $70 for a Gibraltar throw?

How about the G. piccolo throw? 7/8" mount holes and only $15 at Forks.....and it works great!

For a 1" butt, the Dunnett one is fine for $10....basic but works.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Yeah, the Trick looks enormous for a piccolo - I like the low cost of the Gibraltar pic SC-PTO. There's a deluxe model too, but the holes are an eighth inch bigger and I'd rather not mess with the shell.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How tall is the throw? Does it stick out past the top of the upper hoop? Where on the shell did you mount it?
IMG_3272.JPG

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Other then the trick throw offs dw mag is my second favorite specially with the 3p butt plate

Reaction score
Other then the trick throw offs dw mag is my second favorite specially with the 3p butt plate
MAG for the win. i was obsessed with the trick for awhile but then as soon as i used the DW MAG combo which was an impulse buy i was hooked. I wish they weren't as bulky on the throw off side but for what its worth and the fact they now have 5P butt plates in colors other than just chrome and black, i don't really even want to look back at the GS007 or the multistep counterpart. although one could mix and match the trick throw and a DW endplate to get a little creative.