Trigger Finger

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of this condition? I have been doing some web research, and apparently, I have it. A few weeks back, I noticed strange pain / stiffness in my left thumb. I then began to feel a sort of "click" when bending the first joint, it's sort of "felt" not heard if you will. According to WebMD, etc, this is due to a nodule moving back and forth through a tendon pathway ( or something) which has become thickened or restricted. If I had to guess, playing a lot of guitar has probably brought this on, since I tend to hang my thumb over the board (Jimi) when playing certain things. Anyway, it seems that this may actually require surgery to correct if its bad enough. Damn. Anyone have any experience with this?. I'd appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks

idiotmyshkin

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of this condition? I have been doing some web research, and apparently, I have it. A few weeks back, I noticed strange pain / stiffness in my left thumb. I then began to feel a sort of "click" when bending the first joint, it's sort of "felt" not heard if you will. According to WebMD, etc, this is due to a nodule moving back and forth through a tendon pathway ( or something) which has become thickened or restricted. If I had to guess, playing a lot of guitar has probably brought this on, since I tend to hang my thumb over the board (Jimi) when playing certain things. Anyway, it seems that this may actually require surgery to correct if its bad enough. Damn. Anyone have any experience with this?. I'd appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks
My thumb kinda clicks sometimes when I bend the first joint. I think it's just stiffness or whatever. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
I have (had) it in my righthand ring finger. I'm a bricklayer, so no doubt gripping a trowel for 34 years had something to do with it. Four years ago it got bad enough that I had trouble getting a strong grip on things, and also affecting my grip on a drumstick, so I finally went to a doctor.

He said there were three ways to go:

1) cortisone shot in the joint ... this would give temporary help and no guarantee it wouldn't come back.

2) surgery on the tube (tendon pathway) to open it up.

3) let it pass ... it'll eventually go away after a year or so - he mentioned this about what he heard about people waiting for the surgery in England ... it was a long enough wait (up to a year, he said) that for most people the symptoms went away by the time their surgery came around.

I chose the cortisone shot. Bad choice. At first, it helped a little but after a few months the trigger finger was still there. Right now, I've been laid off since last May (thisclose to retiring). Everything's good with the finger and my grip.

Good luck, I hope whatever you choose works out.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had trigger finger in my ring finger right hand. I took one very painful cortisone shot that marginally helped.
What worked for me (accidentally) was seated pulley rows working up to sets of 8 at 175+ pounds.
Seemed to stretch out the tendon sheath and strengthened my grip.
I think any weight-bearing pull on the finger or thumb might be worth a try.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it operated on about 25 years ago. It was not getting better but worse and it hurt whenever I gripped something with my right hand (like a drumstick for example). It is a leision on the tendon that makes your finger bend and travels through a "sheath" located at the lower joint in your finger. When the leision gets too big to fit in the sheath anymore it "sticks" (and hurts). What they do is put a little slice in the sheath and you regain your finger motion without pain AND the leision subsides because it isn't get irritated anymore....my hand is perfectly normal today. Only you know how much of a problem it is for you, but I can say that the surgery is simple "same day" and it does work. Best of luck!

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
I had trigger finger in all my fingers and thumbs.It initially started in one finger which would get stuck when I would bend it. I used to get cortisone shots for it that would relieve the problem for about 6 months before coming back. I finally went for the surgery because the symptoms kept coming back. The surgery is far less painful than the shot too. After getting that finger fixed it started in other fingers and thumbs and they would lock up to the point where it felt like I might break it trying to straighten it out. Over the course of a few years I ended up having them all repaired and never had anymore problems with it. If you go for the surgery ask your Doc to prescribe some occupational therapy to get the thumb or finger freely moving again.

In my case the surgeon thought that there was perhaps an underlying systemic reason for all my fingers being affected but with current technology they don't even know where to begin looking. It was not due to drumming but made drumming very difficult when a finger would lock up.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced that it comes from repeated blows to the same spot in the palm of your hand. After I was out of college I worked as a mechanic for a few years and used to break stubborn bolts loose by slamming the wrench with my hand and that is the spot where the leision formed and gave me the trigger finger. I also had to go for PT after the surgery to restretch the tendon which took a couple of months but all was fine afterwards...just find a good surgeon who specializes in hand surgery.