Trimming a PS3 ring

Butch1970

Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I’ve got PS3’s on a few drums, some that I purchased and some that came stock on bass drums (seems to be the “head du jour” with a lot of manufacturers).

They work well on larger drums, but on something like my 18” Sonor beech, having a PS3 on both sides just kills the drum, IMO.

Any tips for cleanly trimming the muffle ring back a bit without going totally FUBAR on the head?

Thanks!

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I’ve got PS3’s on a few drums, some that I purchased and some that came stock on bass drums (seems to be the “head du jour” with a lot of manufacturers).

They work well on larger drums, but on something like my 18” Sonor beech, having a PS3 on both sides just kills the drum, IMO.

Any tips for cleanly trimming the muffle ring back a bit without going totally FUBAR on the head?

Thanks!
I’ve trimmed a few of the rings, once with a box razor (didn’t go well, cut the head even though I thought I was being “careful”), and with smaller scissors. It’s very hard to get a clean cut because of the angle.

I finally just resorted to buying a different head.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've trimmed the rings on my PS3 BD reso heads with a good ol' pair of scissors. I cut mine down to about half their original width. Don't use a razor knife — one mistake and you're stuck buying a new head.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
mm **- no.

mm ^^ yes.
Naah, I've found that a PS3 with the ring cut to half its original width is the ideal BD reso head. I can put a mic 3 fingers (around 2") from the reso head and get a really nice recorded sound. Can't do that with an unmuffled head.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've trimmed the rings on my PS3 BD reso heads with a good ol' pair of scissors. I cut mine down to about half their original width. Don't use a razor knife — one mistake and you're stuck buying a new head.
Yep.

I’ve cut the ring off a P3 front head that I wanted to be an Amb. Used scissors.

Although in hindsight I probably wish I only cut it back halfway, would have liked a little of that high overtone control rather than fully open.