header.nohb.html

Trip to Drum Center of Portsmouth!

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I’ve been a subscriber to DCP’s YouTube channel for several years and have always enjoyed their gear reviews, they’re probably some of the most thorough available and always done with attention to detail. I’ve ordered some things through them and have always been impressed with the communication and how on the ball the shipping department is.
We decided to celebrate our 33rd Anniversary and go somewhere that we had never been, so I suggested New England, having always wanted to visit Boston (and DCP!). Both were well worth the trip (with the exception of actually driving in Boston—-oy!).
Walking in to DCP is immediate sensory overload—-the first thing to greet the eye is the Mike Mangini kit in all of its extravagant glory. Also, a beautiful George Way Aristocrat kit and a seriously gorgeous DW Custom kit. The main drum showroom upstairs and the museum were amazing. Stacks of Ludwig, Gretsch, Sonor…the museum full of rare and classic kits, Ed Shaugnessy’s kit and the weirdest looking Ludwig kit, a one off prototype once owned by Bun E., that I’ve ever seen (see picture).
I went looking for something different cymbal wise from the Zildjian A’s and Sabian AA’s that I normally use and came way with a beautiful set of Paiste Giant Beats after spending an hour comparing and testing. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even though the phone was literally ringing constantly. They gave me a great deal on a box set that includes an extra 18” Giant Beat Thin. While not as versatile as the Multi’s, the Giant Beat thins are the smoothest, most buttery crashes that I’ve ever played.
I’ve been to numerous Drum Shops that were considered five star, and as nice as they were, none of them hold a candle to DCP. Kind of the drumming equivalent of Mecca, or Valhalla! Well worth the effort to check out in person!

Attachments

• 8E55548A-8866-498A-8481-A0B79B261359.jpeg
    8E55548A-8866-498A-8481-A0B79B261359.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 246
  • CC0128DE-33F5-41F8-BB45-B5BDF90C96F8.jpeg
    CC0128DE-33F5-41F8-BB45-B5BDF90C96F8.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 066F7E50-27B0-4793-B7B4-5EED906600E6.jpeg
    066F7E50-27B0-4793-B7B4-5EED906600E6.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 86B70115-0D3B-4FA6-B499-64BA70AC461D.jpeg
    86B70115-0D3B-4FA6-B499-64BA70AC461D.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 242
  • 37624824-5727-4C86-985B-E81589A730DC.jpeg
    37624824-5727-4C86-985B-E81589A730DC.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I was there my friend wanted a lighter/smaller kit... the sales guy steered him to a Breakbeat kit...even though he could have pushed him towards bigger more expensive kits...I was very impressed with that (and he loves the kit...I heard it live and unmic'ed in a rock setting and it did sound good).

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Same experience - amazing selection, great service. Picked up a 602 Flat, and the salesman made sure to find me a quiet corner to test it in. :)

Ended up ordering my new Stage Customs from them, as my LDS didn't have them. Then turned around and order the 16" floor tom and a full 600 series hardware pack too.

And I agree - their review videos are awesome. Have you seen the pics of their new warehouse? Gigantic. They are surely doing many things right.

Last edited:

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Same experience - amazing selection, great service. Picked up a 602 Flat, and the salesman made sure to find me a quiet corner to test it in. :)

Ended up ordering my new Stage Customs from them, as my LDS didn't have them. Then turned around an order the 16" floor tom and a full 600 series hardware pack too.

And I agree - their review videos are awesome. Have you seen the pics of their new warehouse? Gigantic. They are surely doing many things right.

Here's a prime example. I doubt I would have stopped at one. lol

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I live all of 20 minutes from there, Remember when Shane 1st opened up, it was him a computer, some snares, heads, sticks etc and his beloved dog Bella. Then all of a sudden a full blown Sonor kit was there and so on, now he has the largest drum shop in the world. The store has everything a drummer could possibly want....all under one roof....and all in TAX free NH......it gets better how ?

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you got to check out the Seacoast up there and the white mountains. DCP is great, but this time of year, that’s the real treat in New England.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live all of 20 minutes from there, Remember when Shane 1st opened up, it was him a computer, some snares, heads, sticks etc and his beloved dog Bella. Then all of a sudden a full blown Sonor kit was there and so on, now he has the largest drum shop in the world. The store has everything a drummer could possibly want....all under one roof....and all in TAX free NH......it gets better how ?
I remember meeting you at the grand opening of the big store, I was wearing my DFO Tee. I was just blown away when I walked in, and still get that same feeling every time I visit!

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Hope you got to check out the Seacoast up there and the white mountains. DCP is great, but this time of year, that’s the real treat in New England.
We were mainly in Boston, we did take a harbor tour by sailboat which was very enjoyable. We had planned on driving up to Mount Washington but it dumped rain most of the day, unfortunately.

Reactions: owr

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am so jealous!!
Let's do a road trip. I'll meet you in Rockford. lol

Bring the tractor trailer. Oh, and an extra memory card for the pictures. Pack a light lunch. We'll need all the space for the return trip home. DCP will be shifting westerly soon.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One day was devoted to going to her favorite shopping places. That took about seven hours. We were at DCP less than two. She won that one!
My wife went with me to Fork's last time we were in Nashville. I realized it was a mistake as soon as she started paying attention to the price tags on the gear I was checking out.:sign6:

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They've taken lots of my money but I still like them! :cool: I remember the old store too. One of the last times I was up there I also picked out a Paiste Giant Beat set that came with the extra 18 thin. The staff was amazingly helpful as they always are and I was able to compare a few until I had the entire set. I totally agree about the 18 thin, it's sweet. I love the 15" hats as well!

It's probably good that I don't live too close to that place!