Truths we’ve learned playing music

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing band members with better players doesn’t always make the band better. Chemistry matters!
I have to admit, when I replaced a drummer in a band, they didn't know right away that the missing ingredient was him. They were buddies and he had a sound that fit the band more than I did. It took awhile to figure out, but there it was. That band didn't last but I learned something.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"My three-part formula for success in the arts, and it has to be this order, is: luck, chutzpah and talent. There are a lot of really talented people who are starving. And there are a lot of not-so-talented people who are rich and famous. It’s the alignment of the stars first off, then you have to hustle to get anywhere. You almost have to become obnoxious. Today, due to technology – and it’s a great thing – you can make your own CD, book, movie, whatever. It doesn’t cost as much as it used to. But then it’s the usual: No. 2, how do you sell it? How do you get attention on You Tube when there are two billion videos? That’s the bitch. What’s so depressing is that talent is No. 3 when it should be No. 1." - John Desmore

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"My three-part formula for success in the arts, and it has to be this order, is: luck, chutzpah and talent. There are a lot of really talented people who are starving. And there are a lot of not-so-talented people who are rich and famous. It’s the alignment of the stars first off, then you have to hustle to get anywhere. You almost have to become obnoxious. Today, due to technology – and it’s a great thing – you can make your own CD, book, movie, whatever. It doesn’t cost as much as it used to. But then it’s the usual: No. 2, how do you sell it? How do you get attention on You Tube when there are two billion videos? That’s the bitch. What’s so depressing is that talent is No. 3 when it should be No. 1." - John Desmore
Densmore got it (almost) right, wherever that quote comes from. There's plenty of people with talent on youtube; you just have to look for it. For music listeners, YT is a modern equivalent of the lost pleasure of digging through record vaults, but it's even more bottomless than a huge chain store would've been.