Trying to determine value of Brady Jarrah block snare...

spctomlin

Reaction score
First, my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong discussion forum and please move it to the appropriate place if that's the case.

I have a drum set up for sale and have been offered a 6.5x14 Brady jarrah block snare in trade. The drum is satin finish, flanged hoops and looks like the one pictured in this link...

The owner says the drum was purchased new in 2016. Condition appears to be like new. I've searched around and found a few old listings for this drum, but can't find sale price and also it seems to me Brady drums were available with different options...I see a different throw off design used on some of these drums, for example...and I'm clueless regarding which is most/least desirable, etc. Also, I see there’s another thread discussing the value/desirability of a Brady ply snare, but am wondering if one shell type is generally considered more desirable/valuable than the other. Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I wasn't going to respond to this, because I have no idea what a block snare is. I was doing some research to find out and came across this article/review of Brady snares you may find helpful.

Also, can someone please tell me what a block snare is? Thank you!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say the old Brady's (especially the ones before the die-cast logo) are more favorable because of the aged wood. But it also has to do with sizes. I wouldn't worry too much about different wood species, as it will be more of the heads and tuning you will hear than the shell because these are quite thick.

Here you can see the Jarrah Block snares sold and ended (ended means either for a deal, re-listing or that the seller took it off for any reason).

A block snare is a group type of build of drums.

It is made out of vertical thick blocks glued together. This is called the Block Stave build:
62645573_10219530352469039_5240625249543782400_o.jpg
CS..jpg

You also have horizontal blocks. That is called a Segment Stave build:
IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg

spctomlin

Reaction score
I would say the old Brady's (especially the ones before the die-cast logo) are more favorable because of the aged wood. But it also has to do with sizes. I wouldn't worry too much about different wood species, as it will be more of the heads and tuning you will hear than the shell because these are quite thick.

Here you can see the Jarrah Block snares sold and ended (ended means either for a deal, re-listing or that the seller took it off for any reason).

A block snare is a group type of build of drums.

It is made out of vertical thick blocks glued together. This is called the Block Stave build:
View attachment 429751 View attachment 429752

You also have horizontal blocks. That is called a Segment Stave build:
View attachment 429753 View attachment 429754
Thanks for the link. I had looked at the sold/ended listings on Reverb before, but it’s anybody’s guess what the drums actually sold for (only shows listing price). Because the drums are so expensive new and the sellers are likely trying to get as much as they can for them, my gut feeling is that they’re priced high and not many, if any, of these drums are selling for asking price. So the question remains...what are people actually paying for these drums? I likely wouldn’t keep the drum, and would want to price it to sell quickly. The only reason the trade is attractive to me is because a snare is a lot easier/less expensive to ship than an entire 6pc drum set (and heavy shells, at that) so it would open up the potential market I could sell to by several orders of magnitude.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is why I love Reverb over eBay. If it says sold. It has been sold for that price. If it has been ended it could be any of the other options. So you don't have to look for an extra answer.

Personal experience answers will always be that. A personal experience, that might not reflect the actual market because of many things (location of the parties, shipping prices, tax fees, import fees etc).it will all be white noise, whilst sold items at least give you an accurate sales price.

spctomlin

Reaction score
That is why I love Reverb over eBay. If it says sold. It has been sold for that price. If it has been ended it could be any of the other options.
Ahh...I wasn't aware of this. Thanks!

Latest posts