Trying to pick different hi hats: Mostly Zildjian for my choices, however. . .

Old Dog

Reaction score
So, I'm in the market to get a different pair of hats. I've been checking videos left and right. . .there's only a single music store locally and their prices are very disagreeable. I will be buying online eventually and 50/50 on them being used.

I have vintage New Beats. I want something different. I'm leaning dry/dark. So no A customs (they seem bright to me yeah?). I am entirely open to non Zildjians as well. I like the look of the Istanbul Agop Xist line. Also the Instanbul Mehmet Origin Dark hats. I've seen some great looking sets from Turkish, but they are all new and priced in the $400 range.

I'm also curious how size will effect sound, tone or pitch, volume. From what I can gather in the vids, the 13s seem slightly higher pitched and 15s lower. But I am honestly adding some guesswork into that. I've had NO experience with EITHER 13s or 15s. ALWAYS played 14" new beats since freakin' forever.

BTW, I have Zildjian S Mastersound hats. If I play some heavy/metal/rock stuff, they'll be great. But, man, they project and are BRIGHT.

As far as Sabian/Meinl/Paiste. . . .I can't seem to find hardly anything from these manufacturers in my price range.

I'm looking for $200 to $300, closer to $260 and below, but it depends on what they are.

I know a lot of the Dry/dark cymbal lines "seem" to be geared towards Jazz music. At least it seems that way? I will not be playing much jazz, I guarantee that. Just not my thang.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's literally dozens of demo youtube vids and hi hat comparison video's to sift through. The options and choices seem endless these days, can be a very deep rabbit hole!

Old Dog

Reaction score
There's literally dozens of demo youtube vids and hi hat comparison video's to sift through. The options and choices seem endless these days, can be a very deep rabbit hole!

I've watched a crapload, lol! But, there's just something lacking. There aren't many side by side comparisons. There are some, and I've watched. But then you want some comparisons. . .anyway, I hear ya. But its not always easy to decipher subtle differences.

I'm seriously considering a set of Arborea hats. $200, the seller says they are trashy, dry and dark. Which, is basically what I'm after.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Those Agop Xist Drys are probably the closest thing to what you described, near your price range, apart from striking it lucky on the used market.
That's basically how I felt as well. . .

K custom dry??
These are definitely up there in my choices. Not sure if I'll pay for them though. . .

I posted a couple of comparison videos between Mehmet Dark Origin 15” hats and Zildjian K Light 15” hats in this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/shootout-zildjian-k-light-15-hats-vs-mehmet-dark-origin-15-hats.166401/
Mentioning here because I know the available videos on the Mehmets are actually somewhat limited.
Thanks! Yes, some you just can't find exactly what you're looking for in the videos. I'll check yours out for sure.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you looked into Chinese makers? Dream? There are also some interesting newer offerings from Stagg in the mid-price range.

If you find a pair you really like the sound of, chances are that the single cymbals also sound good in a mixed pair. I've been using a Dream Bliss bottom together with a lighter New Beat bottom quite a bit. I came up with this combo by combining all the hh cymbals I had and recording them, and they give me a sound I never found online, a mix of lower pitch and crispness.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Have you looked into Chinese makers? Dream? There are also some interesting newer offerings from Stagg in the mid-price range.

If you find a pair you really like the sound of, chances are that the single cymbals also sound good in a mixed pair. I've been using a Dream Bliss bottom together with a lighter New Beat bottom quite a bit. I came up with this combo by combining all the hh cymbals I had and recording them, and they give me a sound I never found online, a mix of lower pitch and crispness.
YES! Absolutely. I have no ties to any company, lol. I love Zildjian obviously, that's all I've ever known until this year (just got back into drumming after a 15ish year hiatus).

I like Arborea cymbals, from what I've heard in vids. I own a Stagg, and Wuhans (although Wuhan doesn't seem to have anything like I want right now).

I had someone suggest Soultones (although he also mentioned they were quite bright), I have looked into Dream, but I don't see many dark/dry choices. Their prices are pretty spot on.

I don't have many different hats that would allow me to experiment. Zildjian S's and New beats are all I have currently. BUT, I would like that opportunity.

I've considered a K top and some other bottom hat. Hard to just buy them, that way without the experimentation. :roll:

Old Dog

Reaction score
Ever since I got a pair of 15" light weight trans stamp A's, they haven't come off the stand.

Are you willing to go used?
The majority of my cymbals are used for sure.

Those are just the Avedis A 15s correct? I have vintage 14 New Beats. . .Do the 15 A's have a dry/darker sound? I can only assume that they are great hats, but I also want something different sonically.

I've been looking at all kinds of K's. . .I can get nice used for $250. But I'm honestly considering a set of 15" Arborea Ghost hats. The vids are for 14" though.

And I'm also considering Instanbul Agop Xist 13" Dry darks. But, I don't know if I like the size, I really like their sound. At least as much as I can from a video.

And one last option I was considering was a 16" dry dark crash of some sort. I have 3 other 16s and would have no problem experimenting with them as hats. My Meinl dark classic or the Stagg I just bought would both make good bottoms. But, 16 is sizable. Are they ergonomic?

I may wait until next month and save a little more a get a nice set of Ks. The people selling the Arboreas sent me a 5% off offer, I'd get them for $200 after tax--same as the Xist dry/darks.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
If you’re playing heavy stuff you’re going to lose a lot of the hats in the mix if you stick with the dry and dark sound. I’d stick with something heavier and of course you don’t need to go Paiste bright but if you go too dark you’ll be surprised how much more that type of sound sits back in a mix. With that being said, I use the Xist 15” hats and they’re great. I highly recommend them and they’re not particularly bright nor dark.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Those are just the Avedis A 15s correct? I have vintage 14 New Beats. . .Do the 15 A's have a dry/darker sound? I can only assume that they are great hats, but I also want something different sonically.

I've been looking at all kinds of K's. . .I can get nice used for $250. But I'm honestly considering a set of 15" Arborea Ghost hats. The vids are for 14" though.

And I'm also considering Instanbul Agop Xist 13" Dry darks. But, I don't know if I like the size, I really like their sound. At least as much as I can from a video.

And one last option I was considering was a 16" dry dark crash of some sort. I have 3 other 16s and would have no problem experimenting with them as hats. My Meinl dark classic or the Stagg I just bought would both make good bottoms. But, 16 is sizable. Are they ergonomic?

I may wait until next month and save a little more a get a nice set of Ks. The people selling the Arboreas sent me a 5% off offer, I'd get them for $200 after tax--same as the Xist dry/darks.
I wouldn't describe my 15"s as dry in any way. But they are a bit dark, but balanced.

I had a really nice Xist ride for a while and I really loved it. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with anything from Agop.

My issue with 16" hats is that it's just too much metal to get moving for quick work like up-tempo 16ths. They just aren't responsive enough. They're great for that big sloshy feel, but I could never fully commit to them as my main pair for every song, and who wants to change hats mid set or carry around two HH stands?

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I've got a set of these Xist dry darks and love them. Honestly, they mix with about anything. I have the 13" hats, 17" and 20" crashes. The hats are def what they say and because of the size, quick. I use mine with a ching ring and love them. Take a look at some of the recent Carter McLean videos as he has been using them a lot as well.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I've got a set of these Xist dry darks and love them. Honestly, they mix with about anything. I have the 13" hats, 17" and 20" crashes. The hats are def what they say and because of the size, quick. I use mine with a ching ring and love them. Take a look at some of the recent Carter McLean videos as he has been using them a lot as well.
I've watched a Carter Mclean vid or two! Yes I do dig these, but wasn't sure about the size.

Everyone's been very helpful.

I'm also considering some Masterworks, they look great. I dig the Turkish (name brand) a lot. I would actually love to get a set. But they're $400ish and not used anywhere.
If you’re playing heavy stuff you’re going to lose a lot of the hats in the mix if you stick with the dry and dark sound. I’d stick with something heavier and of course you don’t need to go Paiste bright but if you go too dark you’ll be surprised how much more that type of sound sits back in a mix. With that being said, I use the Xist 15” hats and they’re great. I highly recommend them and they’re not particularly bright nor dark.
If I could find the 15s, I'd probably already have purchased them.

Freewill3

Reaction score
+1 on the 13" Xist hats. Saw Carter McLean at a clinic recently and they sounded excellent. One other suggestion is just buy the top hat only. Bring a heavier bottom to a music shop and try mixing it with other tops. I was digging the Zildjian Special Dry sound too so I just bought the 14" top and it's been fun to mix and match with my current hats - Meinl Jazz Thin, Avedis and a pair of old 60's re-lathed and hammered hats.

chillybase

Reaction score
I was recently watching the Zildjian Underground series. Both Karriem Riggins and Nate Smith played some 16" hats of the same setup - 16" A Avedis (reissue) bottom hat as a top with rivets over a 16" K EFX cymbal. Sort of a quick beat type setup. I thought this sat in the mix well and they both seem to do a lot of hi-hat work that requires articulation.

Latest posts