Trying to understand sounds as cars go by...

Barden

Reaction score
I'm enjoying reading the thread title as an invitation to explain the doplar effect!

So you see... sound is really a compression wavefront traveling through air. Add a relative frame of reference...

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Ok. No melody, no harmony and beats so repetitive they cease to have meaning?

Regardless of the listener's age, it does indeed suck and yes, de-evolution of music about sums it up.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...So you see... sound is really a compression wavefront traveling through air. Add a relative frame of reference...
No, sound is what happens in our brains when our auditory mechanism is stimulated by certain types of compression wavefronts traveling through the air. Compression wavefronts are nothing more than compression wavefronts. It requires a listener for them to become sound.

Pibroch

Reaction score
There's never been a better time than now for access to good recorded music with good sound - the continual improvement of streaming and download services has seen to that.

Don't understand the moaners, unless they're just being funny.

Last edited:

dyland

Reaction score
To people who genuinely claim that popular hip-hop is simply noise which requires zero talent to produce, I have a great idea for you: record a bunch of rap songs.

Record a bunch of rap songs, make a million dollars off of it, like all those other talentless hacks do, and then use that million dollars to finance your "real music" project.

If it requires zero talent then surely somebody talented such as yourself will be able to produce the best and most successful hip hop song of all time.

Then give me $10k for coming up with the idea.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's never been a better time than now for access to good recorded music with good sound - the continual improvement of streaming and download services has seen to that.

Don't understand the moaners, unless they're just being funny.

Those of a certain age, myself included, had the music spoon fed to us. You listened to the radio to find the new good songs, you went to the record store and bought that album your friend told you about (he probably heard a song on the radio or even MTV), or maybe you just bought an album with an interesting cover. The record store was a pre-curated selection of albums, so it really wasn't that random. There really wasn't all that much available to most people, but fortunately it was usually pretty good if it actually got into your store. But here we are in 2021, and all this music and all this access is overwhelming to a lot of people. When people say they can't find anything new that they like, they probably literally can't find it. Spotify et al. require a subscription, have a lot to sift through, and are kind of a pain to play through your car stereo if it's not pretty new. It's enough of a pain for me in my older truck that I'll just listen to the old awful radio stations for short trips. There's just a level of effort to find good music that didn't exist before, and that's hard to get over for a lot of people.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
To people who genuinely claim that popular hip-hop is simply noise which requires zero talent to produce, I have a great idea for you: record a bunch of rap songs.

Record a bunch of rap songs, make a million dollars off of it, like all those other talentless hacks do, and then use that million dollars to finance your "real music" project.

If it requires zero talent then surely somebody talented such as yourself will be able to produce the best and most successful hip hop song of all time.

Then give me $10k for coming up with the idea.
Amen to that a lot of jealousy and insecurity from others claiming it’s so easy

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Those of a certain age, myself included, had the music spoon fed to us. You listened to the radio to find the new good songs, you went to the record store and bought that album your friend told you about (he probably heard a song on the radio or even MTV), or maybe you just bought an album with an interesting cover. The record store was a pre-curated selection of albums, so it really wasn't that random. There really wasn't all that much available to most people, but fortunately it was usually pretty good if it actually got into your store. But here we are in 2021, and all this music and all this access is overwhelming to a lot of people. When people say they can't find anything new that they like, they probably literally can't find it. Spotify et al. require a subscription, have a lot to sift through, and are kind of a pain to play through your car stereo if it's not pretty new. It's enough of a pain for me in my older truck that I'll just listen to the old awful radio stations for short trips. There's just a level of effort to find good music that didn't exist before, and that's hard to get over for a lot of people.
I’ll disagree to the level of effort because I’m discovered so many bands just on YouTube alone, and that’s free. One simple search into a genres will lead you to not o my bands but drummers etc. simple click of a button

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll disagree to the level of effort because I’m discovered so many bands just on YouTube alone, and that’s free. One simple search into a genres will lead you to not o my bands but drummers etc. simple click of a button
But that's still an active activity instead of a passive one like just turning on your radio while you drive. I'm not saying it's difficult, but I find it kind of mentally draining sifting through stuff on YouTube. There's just endless content. I actually agree that it's better today than ever, just giving perhaps some insight into how older people might (not) be navigating the modern musical landscape.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
But that's still an active activity instead of a passive one like just turning on your radio while you drive. I'm not saying it's difficult, but I find it kind of mentally draining sifting through stuff on YouTube. There's just endless content. I actually agree that it's better today than ever, just giving perhaps some insight into how older people might (not) be navigating the modern musical landscape.
Ya most the actual current radio stations are bubble gum pop hip hop anymore. Hard to filter through all of it and find a gem. But I’d go play that stuff in a heartbeat if the opportunity rose lol.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Good point.

And maybe those (presumably musicians) posting here about the demise of music aren't as obsessed with good music as I am: would think if you were motivated enough you'd find it.

The other thing is I'm 69 years old and retired with a pension so lots of free time to search. Maybe other older people don't have that luxury.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live close enough to the freeway to hear 18 wheelers sailing late at night . The pitch and sonic frequency of those tires,at some speeds, sound very similar to my telephone .

Hard to fall asleep sometimes . I find that annoying and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I've got out of bed to check the phone because I don't always remember to shut the ringer off .

Late at night
ooomph sss

when da

ooomph sss

Maskeetoes bite

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Too many people are using the word "music" for stuff that ain't.
What defines music? Having a whole
Band of people playing instruments? Hip hop/rap is just as much music as any other. Cool thing with music is it can be made with literally anything. So I ask again what defines music?

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What defines music? Having a whole
Band of people playing instruments? Hip hop/rap is just as much music as any other. Cool thing with music is it can be made with literally anything. So I ask again what defines music?
Generally three things: melody, harmony, and rhythm. Take away two of these things, and it's not music anymore.

Look at it this way: Pizza includes crust, sauce, and cheese. Take away two of these things, and it's not pizza anymore.

Because people listen to something and like it doesn't make it music. People also eat cheese plain and like it. This doesn't make plain cheese a pizza.

If you want to call hip hop/rap poetry, I'm fine with that. But what I hear isn't poetry set to music yet. It's just rhythm and words.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally three things: melody, harmony, and rhythm. Take away two of these things, and it's not music anymore.

Look at it this way: Pizza includes crust, sauce, and cheese. Take away two of these things, and it's not pizza anymore.

Because people listen to something and like it doesn't make it music. People also eat cheese plain and like it. This doesn't make plain cheese a pizza.

If you want to call hip hop/rap poetry, I'm fine with that. But what I hear isn't poetry set to music yet. It's just rhythm and words.
I think maybe you haven't listened closely enough. There's plenty of hip hop with melody and harmony. Some of it is even jazz-like. I once held the same opinion, but my ears have been opened since.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I think maybe you haven't listened closely enough. There's plenty of hip hop with melody and harmony. Some of it is even jazz-like. I once held the same opinion, but my ears have been opened since.
For real. Literally bone thugs n HARMONY. Usher. Chris brown. I can keep going. I recommend taking a listen to some and you will see it clearly is music. That’s like saying your kids fridge painting isn’t art or that’s it’s not good because you chose to value it in some other standard.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
[What defines music?] Generally three things: melody, harmony, and rhythm. Take away two of these things, and it's not music anymore...
You can never take away two of those things, because you don't have melody without rhythm. And if we take away melody and leave only rhythm are you prepared to say to all of us here that a snare drum solo like "The Downfall Of Paris" isn't music? Any organized sound can be music if the person(s) organizing it intends for it to be music. (P.S. The organizing force can even be chance, as in John Cage's 4'33".)

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I just want to say that not liking a specific kind of music doesn't make you necessarely a hater, an ignorant person or a jealous person.
You can find good songs in any genre of music, but most of us get an idea of what is going on in that specific genre listening to the radio, watching socials and all the platforms where this music is present and pushed. If you don't like it, you listen to other stuff. Simple as that.