Trying to wrap my head around Sabian SR2's

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought an older one used a couple weeks ago. Different SR2 logo and has the Sabian logo as well. Killer sound with a high pitched strike that can get washy if you slam it but cleans up nicely. But I would think Sabian could get just as much or more out of them by just leaving them alone and selling them at outlet prices. Why put all that work into making them another type of cymbal?

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably better for them not to flood the market. Also, a lot of them are made from larger cymbals they cut down to remove cracks and whatnot. Who’d pay for a 17” 19” crash?

I can’t get past the metallic sandpaper texture they use on them, but I’ve heard a few gems.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably better for them not to flood the market. Also, a lot of them are made from larger cymbals they cut down to remove cracks and whatnot. Who’d pay for a 17” 19” crash?

I can’t get past the metallic sandpaper texture they use on them, but I’ve heard a few gems.
Structurally damaged or broken cymbals are not used to make SR2's. Surface scratches, maybe. Broken cymbals go back into the foundry mix.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Sabian simply sold them as used versions of their original identities then they would be potentially cannibalizing sales of their new cymbals. So they give them a facelift and turn them into a unique line of lower cost cymbals. Plus the fact that you might be buying a former HH or HHX at a bargain price is a good selling point, even though the bulk of them were probably AA models. That "mystery" adds a bit to the appeal along with the pricing.

Sabian brought a bunch of these to the Chicago show when they were first introduced and every one was a gem (at least to my ears). I was tempted but didn't buy any. The finish on them didn't appeal to me but I made a note to pay attention to them in the future. Apparently the ones brought to the show were cherry picked for the show because every one I've encountered in a store since then has been a "dog" (at least to my ears :) ) . Still if you don't mind the look and find one you like they can be a sweet deal on what might have once been an upper end cymbal.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bet the older “manhole covers” made during the heavy metal days are the prime candidates

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how expensive the SR2s have become...then again...how long have they been around?

I had a 15" I got in a trade hear and had a smithy lathe it down a little...turns out to be a nice HH under the funky finish.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a couple of them I changed the finish of them pretty easily. Wish I wouldn’t of sold them.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Structurally damaged or broken cymbals are not used to make SR2's. Surface scratches, maybe. Broken cymbals go back into the foundry mix.
I may have gotten bad information on this. I wonder what the economics are of sending severely damaged cymbals back to the foundry vs. rehabbing/re-lathing/rebranding/reselling others as SR2s.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I have one SR2 that's a gem. It's a 19" I bought from a member here for about $100 that was likely an HHX model beforehand as you can still see the original hammering around the bell area. I love it.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I have a 20" Thin that I bought to use as a crash. I put small amount of tape on it and it makes a great Ride! I love it. Don't mind the look.
I had a 16" or 18" Medium that sounded pretty nice, but it didn't fit what I was looking for so I sold it.
I've heard great sounding SR2's and crappy ones. I think what they start as as far as AA or HH, etc makes a big difference. But finding a nice one is part of the thrill of paying less for a great sounding cymbal.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What did you do to the finish? I can't get past the angle grinder finish they use.
It was before I made a lathe but I put them on a drill press like lance canpeau and used a fine sanding block from bell to edge. Gave it a more traditional look. I then would spray them down with salt and vinegar and lemon juice and set them in the sun for a day. It made them look way better then that angle grinder crap they do.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was before I made a lathe but I put them on a drill press like lance canpeau and used a fine sanding block from bell to edge. Gave it a more traditional look. I then would spray them down with salt and vinegar and lemon juice and set them in the sun for a day. It made them look way better then that angle grinder crap they do.
Yeah, I was wondering if they could be sanded down a bit and buffed like a brilliant finish. Sounds like the sanding worked.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering if they could be sanded down a bit and buffed like a brilliant finish. Sounds like the sanding worked.
Ya it def did I wish I had pics of them before I got rid of them. Honestly wish I would of kept them.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They'd have the potential to sound like almost any model they make. These are cymbals you really need to hear before you buy...or be willing to take some risk. Might be great...might be not.
There’s a video of drum center going through them for the store and selecting good ones to sell. They passed on a few I woulda took

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ya it def did I wish I had pics of them before I got rid of them. Honestly wish I would of kept them.
Did it change the sound any? I guess I get not liking the finish, but it was the last thing I was thinking about when I was trying out cymbals. Things like that just don't bother me too much.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did it change the sound any? I guess I get not liking the finish, but it was the last thing I was thinking about when I was trying out cymbals. Things like that just don't bother me too much.
Nothing really. I didn’t shave enough weight to alter the sound