TUNE BOT GIG REVIEW

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Boomer said:
I've had my Tune Bot about three years now and never really got the hang of it. I'll have to give it another shot.
Since it took me all of about 45 minutes to master it, 3 years seems about right... <ducks>

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
hefty said:
I really like the Tune Bot. The only thing with mine is that it seems to have trouble hearing correctly the lugs on the opposite side of the drum, even with the filter on. So I can't just leave it clipped on the hoop in one spot, I have to move it close to whatever lug I'm currently tuning. I don't think my Tune Bot had that issue when I first bought it. But other than that minor annoyance I think it's great.

My ears aren't the greatest at hearing minor differences in pitch especially on a drum where overtones can really muddy the waters. The Tune Bot has in a way trained my ears and made me better at tuning by ear.
Yes, mine gets a little crazy at times. You have to remember we are stretching that plastic sheet in a lot of different directions all at one time. I think sometimes it may to take a little time for it to level out. Even the rim may be slightly out of true. I mean I've see people tune their drums by feel. How true is that? Now we have these new hi-tech. toys that measure in extra fine increments and we are trying to level it all out, can it be done? I don't know. Oh, and are your drums fully tempered to room temperature and humidity?

How perfect do we really need it? If one lug is off a little I don't think it's going to matter. If you are within a .5 reading you are doing pretty darn good. I've had one off more that that before and ran out of time; I put on the rack and that drum sounded great all evening.

sherm

xsabers

Reaction score
CherryClassic said:
I really like the Tune Bot. The only thing with mine is that it seems to have trouble hearing correctly the lugs on the opposite side of the drum, even with the filter on. So I can't just leave it clipped on the hoop in one spot, I have to move it close to whatever lug I'm currently tuning. I don't think my Tune Bot had that issue when I first bought it. But other than that minor annoyance I think it's great.

My ears aren't the greatest at hearing minor differences in pitch especially on a drum where overtones can really muddy the waters. The Tune Bot has in a way trained my ears and made me better at tuning by ear.
Yes, mine gets a little crazy at times. You have to remember we are stretching that plastic sheet in a lot of different directions all at one time. I think sometimes it may to take a little time for it to level out. Even the rim may be slightly out of true. I mean I've see people tune their drums by feel. How true is that? Now we have these new hi-tech. toys that measure in extra fine increments and we are trying to level it all out, can it be done? I don't know. Oh, and are your drums fully tempered to room temperature and humidity?

How perfect do we really need it? If one lug is off a little I don't think it's going to matter. If you are within a .5 reading you are doing pretty darn good. I've had one off more that that before and ran out of time; I put on the rack and that drum sounded great all evening.

sherm
Yeah, 0.5 is nothing. I never worry about that. I would think (hope) that the pitch reading would actually offset irregularities in a rim by allowing the user to get in tune in spite of the issue. You are also correct about stretching mylar and temperature, but those elements affect all drums regardless of the tuning method. My goal is to get my drums sounding great, not to tune to a note, so temp changes would affect both heads equally, hopefully resulting in a drum that is still tuned to itself.

One thing I've noticed is that standard tuning methods should not be thrown out the window just because you use a tuning tool. Incremental adjustments made in a logical pattern will yield better and more consistent results because the instrument itself remains the same regardless.

I did my bass a while ago and their suggested tunings meant my reso had to go up (apologies to Mr. Gatzen). Yeah, it sounds great...

Also did a snare and my initial response is that I will likely stick with my Drum Dial for snares. Just different animals and my DD experience is very positive. Although I do see the value in measuring the tunings on my Tune Bot to put values to my Drum Dial choices.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
xsabers, thanks for your comprehensive review. I'm going to grab one of the newer models and keep an open mind. The fact that you still tune your snare with the DD tells me that you have this whole tuning scenario "dialed in." Ahem. Pun intended...

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
xsabers said:
I've had my Tune Bot about three years now and never really got the hang of it. I'll have to give it another shot.
Since it took me all of about 45 minutes to master it, 3 years seems about right... <ducks>
You must have read the directions!

Call me on Saturday...(remember, there's a three hour time difference.)

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My biggest problem with the tunebot so far, is that I don't like to waste time that I can make actual noise, doing something as tedious as tuning. So normally when I experiment with head changes, I'm barely tapping on the head while the kid sleeps in the next room. I still much prefer the results I got to the drum-dial, but Tunebot kind of needs normal playing volumes, and not the 'tap tap tap' I usually try to tune at.

This is more of a limitation of my situation though, and I wouldn't consider it a major restriction on the tune-bot.

xsabers

Reaction score
swarfrat said:
My biggest problem with the tunebot so far, is that I don't like to waste time that I can make actual noise, doing something as tedious as tuning. So normally when I experiment with head changes, I'm barely tapping on the head while the kid sleeps in the next room. I still much prefer the results I got to the drum-dial, but Tunebot kind of needs normal playing volumes, and not the 'tap tap tap' I usually try to tune at.

This is more of a limitation of my situation though, and I wouldn't consider it a major restriction on the tune-bot.
I actually thought that it didn't take very much volume to trigger the red light. Then again, my kid sleeping in the next room will be 20 next month...plus the fact that it was 1pm on a Saturday and I didn't give a rip that he was sleeping at that time...LOL!

xsabers

Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
xsabers, thanks for your comprehensive review. I'm going to grab one of the newer models and keep an open mind. The fact that you still tune your snare with the DD tells me that you have this whole tuning scenario "dialed in." Ahem. Pun intended...
Oh no, now I feel somewhat responsible if it doesn't work out for you...oh the pressure! :laughing5:

xsabers

Reaction score
Here's another tidbit. The offer a free tuning calculator app (also an online calculator). I downloaded the app and as far as I can remember, this is the first and only app I have downloaded that didn't require ANY permissions or access to anything on my phone. That's refreshing.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Here's another tidbit. The offer a free tuning calculator app (also an online calculator). I downloaded the app and as far as I can remember, this is the first and only app I have downloaded that didn't require ANY permissions or access to anything on my phone. That's refreshing.
Very cool! Thanks for that, just downloaded it. :)

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this review @xsabers. I've always been fascinated with all the different tuning methods and gadgets people employ. May have to try one of these out.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
DrumKeys said:
DrumKeys said:
Cool, I didn't know they had one. I'll have to get it!!!!

sherm

humbledawn

Reaction score
Drum-Bot Gig - I bought one "absolutely the most USLESS item in my studio"

The concept is great, but the reality of what you get is not. I have a 10" and a 12" Top Tom with a 16" Floor Tom a 22" Kick and 14" Snare so I believed the hype what a mistake that was, we had a good sound but wanted to step it up just a little more, I have spent days trying to get allusive great sound, I have given up! It does not exist! I will be on-selling mine if anyone is stupid enough want to buy it after reading this.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drum-Bot Gig - I bought one "absolutely the most USLESS item in my studio"

The concept is great, but the reality of what you get is not. I have a 10" and a 12" Top Tom with a 16" Floor Tom a 22" Kick and 14" Snare so I believed the hype what a mistake that was, we had a good sound but wanted to step it up just a little more, I have spent days trying to get allusive great sound, I have given up! It does not exist! I will be on-selling mine if anyone is stupid enough want to buy it after reading this.
Yeah, I've had a couple. Didn't last very long before I sold them. I prefer a Drum Dial to get me in the neighborhood tension wise, then use my ears.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Drum Dial (DD) and used it for some time until I got my ears trained. The Tune Bot blows it away, if you have a quiet enough room to use it in. The resulting sound is what your after, and that's what the TB uses. Sound, not tension. Whatever works for you, use it.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those who hate them, did you read the manual or watch any videos about it? It’s a remarkable tool with great accuracy, you just have to use it correctly. I get the best sounds I’ve ever had using mine (and they are completely repeatable), and I have a drum dial, and can tune very well by ear.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my Tune Bot Studio. You have to be careful you're not just chasing a number. It's possible to get the same note at each lug with different tensions because other lugs are compensating. Best results for me are using the filter function to narrow the frequency range, and making sure tension is being applied evenly. Combined with the app to calculate the tuning frequencies for the whole kit, it really makes it faster to get the whole kit sounding great together.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year , I really need to try it out .....