Tune-Bot Thread

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I opened this thread because the Drum Dial thread deviated from Drum Dial to Tune-bot. I think the Drum dial thread should stay as a Drum dial thread for those wanting to discuss that device. I've been using the Tune-bot for the last couple days and I'm learning it. So I thought it was a good idea to start a Tune-bot thread individually for those who want to discuss it.
For those who use it and can help, here is an issue I am having:
I used the Tune bot tuning calculator's recommended figures to start with. I selected all the sizes of my kit, medium resonance and default pitch. I tuned my batter's and resos as indicated and it sounds good but my heads are really loose. I use Aquarian Performance II on the batters & Hi frequency on the resos. The heads have wrinkles (on the batter side) using the recommended numbers that I used. Is this normal and is their another setting that can tighten them up?

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I always find it is easier & more accurate to tune them higher to start with by equally tuning each lug, then attach the Tunebot & tune down from there :)

hector48

Reaction score
I really like the tune bot. I do have some questions about the recommended settings.
I use smaller rack toms (8", 10", 12") but still desire a deep low tone.
When I tune them on my own, which is still well above wrinkle, it's still below the scale for "recommended loose settings".
And some of those settings for normal to high pitch seem really high to me.
https://tune-bot.com/tuning-calculator/

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really like the tune bot. I do have some questions about the recommended settings.
When I tune them on my own, which is still well above wrinkle, it's still below the scale for "recommended loose settings".
I think it depends on the heads you use as well. I'm using Aquarian performance II's which you can tune very low but like I posted, I'm at the wrinkles and trying to figure the right numbers to be above that.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I have some questions that may help me answer some of yours.

Are you damping the opposite head when tuning? I set my toms on my throne to make sure I am isolating the head I am working on.

Have you tried backwards tuning? Tune a drum to your normal desired tuning, then use the TB to identify your personal tuning range, and then recreate that tuning using the TB from scratch. This is a great exercise because you start from the position of a known outcome. It should help you learn the TB process and find any problem steps.

What sizes are your drums? My TB app doesn't have a true medium resonance setting. It has 4 choices, but nothing right in the middle. What lug frequencies are you getting on the app for a problematic drum?

I just tuned a kit at a friend's church on Saturday after donating a set of heads. It's an 80s Export 12-13-16. I selected -1 on the pitch and next to highest on the resonance. Reso head higher than batter.

12 = 183/195
13 = 146/155
16 = 115/123

They sounded really good, actually surprisingly good.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Make sure you're muting the opposite head to make sure you're isolating the head you want to tune. Also make sure you're tapping the head about two inches away from the tension rod you're adjusting.

I tune my drums pretty exclusively with the Tune Bot. I absolutely love the preciseness it gives me. I don't know what size drums you have or what you're going for, but here's my set-up - 1965 Rogers kit:
5x14 wood snare - 269 Hz / 400 Hz
8x12 rack tom - 196 Hz
14x14 floor tom - 165 Hz
16x16 floor tom - 123 Hz
14x20 bass drum - 98 Hz

I tune everything other than the snare to the same tension on both sides. A little unconventional, but the drums produce an insane fundamental note when tuned like this. Aquarian American Vintage Mediums on top and bottom.

Wolfeda16

Reaction score
Any tricks on getting the 400 hz on the snare reso to register on the tunebot? I haven't messed with mine in a while but seem to remember having trouble with the really high frequencies not reading properly.

hector48

Reaction score
Any tricks on getting the 400 hz on the snare reso to register on the tunebot? I haven't messed with mine in a while but seem to remember having trouble with the really high frequencies not reading properly.
I have this problem too. The newer version of the tune-bot was supposed to be better for higher pitch tuning, but I still have trouble registering the snare reso correctly.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I opened this thread because the Drum Dial thread deviated from Drum Dial to Tune-bot. I think the Drum dial thread should stay as a Drum dial thread for those wanting to discuss that device. I've been using the Tune-bot for the last couple days and I'm learning it. So I thought it was a good idea to start a Tune-bot thread individually for those who want to discuss it.
For those who use it and can help, here is an issue I am having:
I used the Tune bot tuning calculator's recommended figures to start with. I selected all the sizes of my kit, medium resonance and default pitch. I tuned my batter's and resos as indicated and it sounds good but my heads are really loose. I use Aquarian Performance II on the batters & Hi frequency on the resos. The heads have wrinkles (on the batter side) using the recommended numbers that I used. Is this normal and is their another setting that can tighten them up?
Not sure but you shouldn't see wrinkles I wouldn't think. I do use REMO Coated Ambassadors. You might want to try High or Max resonance; Max means both heads will have the same resonance; High, one head will be tighter than the other; your choice, I normally like the top head higher.

If you are seeing wrinkles I would start over and reinstall the head; after finger tight, then being more careful, very gradually go around with small turns (no more than 1/4 turn) as you tighten the lugs until you find the target frequency. At first use the star pattern. As soon as you find the target number turn on the Filter then balance with mini turns until they all match.

If you are still seeing wrinkles, you may have an over stretched head. If so, take it off and lay it on a table overnight then try again.

Just my thoughts,
sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just Another thought:

While tuning at times you will see and extra high reading like 300 plus are something like that. Don't let that bother you at first, if your on the rise to the target number go ahead and tighten that lug the same as the others or just a little less. If you don't the head will become overly uneven and finding the target number will be MUCH harder to find all the way around the drum when you get close to the target.

Also the rim may be a little off; remember you are using a fine tuned instrument now and ever little difference will be magnified to some degree. I would even try turning the rim about a 1/4 turn when you reinstall the head. That will help it get back into kilter. LOL!

The goal is to keep it even as possible all the way around the drum.

And YES, dampen the opposite head as said above.

sherm

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use and like the Tunebot. I have discovered what you did: following the Tunebot's guidelines will occasionally result in either loose heads or very high tunings. If you are tuning to notes, make sure you check the octave. A C4 will obviously be way higher than a C3. I recommend xsabers' "backwards tuning" idea. Find a tuning that works for you: heads reasonably & evenly tensioned, and a sound you like. Then measure that with the Tunebot and note the settings. Use that as your starting point and tweak to preference.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you tried to use any of the (-) numbers on Pitch Adjustment? If not check to see if one of them comes close to your tuning s.

On my smaller toms I like to use it at Max resonance also.

sherm

lcondo123

Reaction score
I've had issues with it being picked up by the TuneBot, too. Just make sure you're in a quiet room and hit the head with a drum stick - but nothing too hard to damage or break the head. My old TuneBot is finicky with it, but patience will get you there.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me snare drums and bass drum are different animals. I don't know if mine reads 400 or not. LOL! When installing a new head I normally tune to about F# 252 Hz Top and 378 Hz bottom, knowing as the head wears in I will be tightening it up during a period of times while gigging. I keep this up, keeping it up to the nice snappy snare sound that I like. To me the top head is used for stick response and the bottom head gets really tight to get that snappy sound. Although I don't want either head choked. I like a nice thump in the middle with more tone out to the side and a high pitch ring close to the rim. I don't use any muffling devices on snare.

Ludwig Supra 6.5x14 with REMO Coated Ambassador on top and I have had a good number of drummers that compliment me on the snare sound.

sherm

pH12

Reaction score
Great thread Irod1707. I have been using the tune bot for about 2 years and love it.

Like some of you guys have described here, I backwards tune and usually tune both heads to the same pitch.

Also on only on toms, i've been tuning heads to the the pitch of the shell. They sing!

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Tune Bot. The same thing happened to me as well. Hang in there it takes patience and practice to learn to use the tool. I also agree with Xsabers. It’s best to have your drums tuned to tensions that you are already comfortable with so you can achieve the sound you want at a tension that works for you. The greatest thing about this tool is that once you know where your sound is, and you keep track of those settings you are then free to experiment with other tunings or change heads and find your way back home pretty easily.

The suggested tunings didn’t really work for me, but were a good learning exercise. So I went back and tuned to what I was used to and that became my starting point. Then from there I would experiment and learn how even just subtle changes impact tuning, resonance and feel.

If you are tuning to a specific note on a double headed tom, something that really amazed me was how many different tensions I could use and still get that same note. It’s not just Tight, Medium, Loose....it’s every shade in between especially manipulating between two heads and you can still pull out the same note. You will find that sometimes a small adjustment on one lug will make a drastic change to another lug 2 positions away. Just keep working with it and you’ll learn how to work around that.

I’d say tune your batter for the feel that you like and then get your note by adjusting the resonant side and also making small adjustments to the batter until you get to where you want to be.

Don’t give up. The more you experiment, the more you will be able to anticipate how even just small changes will affect the tuning. Now you have the real time data from lug to lug to help tune the drum and also your ears.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure but you shouldn't see wrinkles I wouldn't think. I do use REMO Coated Ambassadors. You might want to try High or Max resonance; Max means both heads will have the same resonance; High, one head will be tighter than the other; your choice, I normally like the top head higher.

If you are seeing wrinkles I would start over and reinstall the head; after finger tight, then being more careful, very gradually go around with small turns (no more than 1/4 turn) as you tighten the lugs until you find the target frequency. At first use the star pattern. As soon as you find the target number turn on the Filter then balance with mini turns until they all match.

If you are still seeing wrinkles, you may have an over stretched head. If so, take it off and lay it on a table overnight then try again.

Just my thoughts,
sherm
I don't think it's overtight. They are Performance II's which generally are used for loose tuning. I've never cranked them up. I leave them loose but with the Tune bot reading it's like super loose. So loose that I can almost come back on the torque rods with my fingers. I'm gonna try your suggestion though about the resonance. I guess with a new device, it's experimentation as well until I find the right numbers.

Latest posts