Tune-Bot Thread

Rick

Reaction score
Interesting; I was meaning to ask about that in your earlier reply. I was thinking you may have had it backwards but this time you sealed it.

Funny how tune-bot suggestions are just the opposite as the drums get smaller, the Hz are higher and so is the fundamental note. But then again it comes down to what it sounds like. But it is a little mind boggling that you went up a 1/2 step but still the Hz's are lower. Apparently it also has a lot to do with being a smaller drum. My drum is 14x20 Ludwig CM.

Wish me luck, LOL

sherm
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured as it is smaller. But it's not THAT much smaller. ??? Of course the ears are always going to be the final determinant, but I do love the extra pure sound I get from having all those lug pitches matched around a head and the consistency I get from having those settings saved.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Bump?
So cool that we can really talk tuning. "Kind of little high/low," doesn't really communicate much.
I just ordered one, but couldn't wait till it arrived and got the phone app "Drumtune Pro." It works! There is a subscription fee however after a trial period of seven days. By that time the Tune-bot should be here, and I'm sure it is even better.
So, for the nay sayers, try the free app for seven days.
First observation: do you guys really tune that low?! And that high on snare? Wow
14×20 94/85
16×16 147/181
8×12 232/219
Snare wouldn't read well enough to be sure.
For acoustic sound in a rock n roll group, I almost never am miced. Tom's got beef, kick needs no muffling. Granted I have very little sub sonic rumbling, but I don't want it anyway- good way to fatigue my ears and start volume wars for little to no sonic benefit.
Gonna Tune-bot my cymbals see what I see.
Thanks for all the encouragement, and for posting your settings too!

Andrew

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the tunebot, and always get great results, and I've never encountered my heads being too loose. I always go with one slider length below full max resonance. Always mute the opposite head when tuning. Once you get each lug close to your target, hit the filter button and remove the overtones. Once this is done you can fine tune by ear or leave as is. I rarely have to use my ear anymore to get rid of the unwanted overtones. Tune bot does a great job of that, if used correctly.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I didn't read thru 10 pages so imma gonna be the idiot who will ask again (if it was asked at all). Has anyone charted out Tunebot=Drumdial on a spread sheet? Is it even possible. I have both, A TB Gig and the DD. I mostly use the Drum Dial. And mostly for the simplicity of it.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Andrew, a friend of mine has a 12 and 14 tom arrangement and his turnings are:
14×14 146/155
8×12 218/232

His 12 is amazing from out front and so is the 14. Don't know about the bass.

Personally on toms I like the top head lower than the bottom as long as their not too low for stick response. In the places I play in small venues if I tune too low over all, they tend to get lost in the mix. With the reso head higher I feel the sound cuts through the band a little better.

Not sure what my Bass is now but sounding good at this time, planning to mess with that soon. As per the tunebot your really close to a G# @ Batter 83 hz and reso 96 Hz a suggestion for an 18" bass. For the 20" bass it recommends a F#; Batter 74 Hz and Reso 85 Hz. Actually it really depends on your liking of what you want your bass to sound like.

High Tuned Snares: Again everyone seems to be more particular with their snare sound but my preference is a fairly high tuned snare. I like it to ring a little but have more body in the center with a tight reso head for a snappy snare sound. I've noticed a lot of Rock guys seem to have a lower tone snares; I forget who it was I was listening to but his snare almost had a tom like sound.

Enjoy your new Tune Bot,
sherm

BTW: I normally talk as if playing without microphones, with mic's you have better chance of being heard and hopefully the sound person knows what their doing.

Last edited:

kzoosteve

Reaction score
One thing I'd really recommend. Versus trying to find your correct "number" immediately by experimenting, figure out what note you want to tune to and define the relationship (3rd,4th,5th) with the batter/resonant...from there, dial in / tweak your numbers if neccessary. If you shoot for just a number, it's like telling a guitarist to turn his e string 2.5 times versus tuning to E on the tuner.

great video breaking it down pretty simply:

-Steve

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Right on Sherm,
That is what I'm hoping for. I'm lucky, our bass player is only 100 watts. So, I get bass feel without having to go too low, plus I don't want to drown him out!
Oh yeah, Aquarian heads and customer service rule.
Will post more when there is more to share
A

shnootre

Reaction score
Whelp, it happened. Dropped my Drum Dial. Only little chipped, but the readings are all out of whack... I think it may be toast. Too bad, I really liked it. But I used this as the excuse I was waiting for to order a Tune Bot (studio). Guess I’ll be joining the club in a few days.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't read thru 10 pages so imma gonna be the idiot who will ask again (if it was asked at all). Has anyone charted out Tunebot=Drumdial on a spread sheet? Is it even possible. I have both, A TB Gig and the DD. I mostly use the Drum Dial. And mostly for the simplicity of it.
Someone may have tried but I don't see how that would even be possible given the fact that the drum dial settings are influenced by the type of drum head (single or 2 ply). I suppose you could have different spreadsheets for each type of drum head but given the very different nature of how they work I don't think it'd be very practical.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Ok, had practice yesterday and real TB arrived today.
Observations:
The notes I thought would work did not.
The notes that do work don't line up to "real" notes on the conversion chart.
Drumtune Pro app is not bad, very similar readings to the TB.
All recomendations for tuning from the TB are to me, (& Steve Maxwell from what I can tell from his demos,) very low for unmiced kit.20190515_101148.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, had practice yesterday and real TB arrived today.
Observations:
The notes I thought would work did not.
The notes that do work don't line up to "real" notes on the conversion chart.
Drumtune Pro app is not bad, very similar readings to the TB.
All recomendations for tuning from the TB are to me, (& Steve Maxwell from what I can tell from his demos,) very low for unmiced kit.View attachment 396626
Play around with the unit, it has a learning curve. Once you get used to it, you wont want to use anything else. Read this whole thread and you'll find everything you need including what to do, what not to do and how to do it all right. I tried that Drumtune pro and it's not a Tunebot (At all!) Believe me, the Tune bot works great when you learn it. I tune very low to the point that after dialing in my numbers my heads still have slight wrinkles. I like my sound to be deep! I use Aquarian Performance II batters & Hi-frequency resos. Here are my numbers which might work for you while you experiment:
Numbers are depicted in: Top lugs/Bottom lugs/Fundamental

18x22 Bass 92/66/35
7x8 Tom 326/348/200
8x10 Tom 276/290/168
9x12 Tom 194/224/124
10x13 Tom 144/166/97
14x14 Floor tom 130/138/83
16x16 Floor tom 101/107/62

Good luck!

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Play around with the unit, it has a learning curve. Once you get used to it, you wont want to use anything else. Read this whole thread and you'll find everything you need including what to do, what not to do and how to do it all right. I tried that Drumtune pro and it's not a Tunebot (At all!) Believe me, the Tune bot works great when you learn it. I tune very low to the point that after dialing in my numbers my heads still have slight wrinkles. I like my sound to be deep! I use Aquarian Performance II batters & Hi-frequency resos. Here are my numbers which might work for you while you experiment:
Numbers are depicted in: Top lugs/Bottom lugs/Fundamental

18x22 Bass 92/66/35
7x8 Tom 326/348/200
8x10 Tom 276/290/168
9x12 Tom 194/224/124
10x13 Tom 144/166/97
14x14 Floor tom 130/138/83
16x16 Floor tom 101/107/62

Good luck!
I thought drumtune pro was pretty good , especially considering its a phone app and not a standalone piece of hardware like the tunebot.
My only complain with it is that i need one hand free to hold the phone over the drum, with recent updates its gotten better at readings too.. What did you not like about it compared to the tunebot ?

stuart s

Reaction score
Drum Tune Pro on a newer Apple Phone I think is better than the tune bot. The superior Mic on the iphones is the key, that might not be the case with most Androids.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought drumtune pro was pretty good , especially considering its a phone app and not a standalone piece of hardware like the tunebot.
My only complain with it is that i need one hand free to hold the phone over the drum, with recent updates its gotten better at readings too.. What did you not like about it compared to the tunebot ?
Maybe as Stuart S posted, it might be better on the iPhone. I use Android. I didn't get good results trying it and since the Tunebot is a dedicated device, I find it better and has more features.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Irod1707, thank you for including the Fundamental Hz's in your list. Sometimes in reading some of these post I wonder if some of the guys are not confusing the Fundamental with the actual Lug Hz readings.

There really is a difference,
sherm

kzoosteve

Reaction score
I'd really like to see more note posting in combination of the hz to see what people are tuning to.....Tune bot has been a gamechanger for me and what really opened the flood gates was not worrying about the number and treating like a musical instrument and using the notes for tuning (then of course tweaking if need be)..

For example, my bell brass i have my batter at D (3rd octave) over G (3rd octave)......it happens to come out at 294/392, but to me the hz becomes irrelevant when I know what I'm trying to achieve from a note perspective...its also much easier to go from 3rds, to 4ths, to 5ths...

Steve

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tuning too Low. Some of you have mentioned that Tune Bot reading are too low and yes that has been the case with my drums. Not too long ago a friend mentioned that my drums were getting lost in the mix; un-mic'ed. When he set in for a number of songs I could hear what he was talking about.

The Tune Bot phone calculator has a Pitch Adjust bar (each number is a semi-tone difference or 1/2 step) I was using "0". Now I've move it up to "1". And they seem to sound much better now. At least in my situation.

So what I'm saying here is; don't be afraid to tune higher because out front your drums will sound lower than they do behind the set.

sherm

shnootre

Reaction score
Got the tune bot and got my toms sounding really good “maximum resonance” pretty easily. Tuned the snare top without trouble too, but the bottom had has been next to impossible. I am using “hi-range” and trying to get the lugs to 378. The readings are just all over the place - I’ll tap the same lug 3 times and get 395, 315, and then 120. I have found slightly more consistent results using mallets, rather than sticks, and I am trying to hit in the same place and at the same velocity, but I simply can’t get the lugs in tune this way. I thought I had them all at about 380, turned them over and then back, and the first lug gave me a reading of 400.

Appreciate any advice specifically on this front, for now I’ll stick w the drum dial for that head (mine is not quite as broken as I feared).