Tune-Bot Thread

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tuning too Low. Some of you have mentioned that Tune Bot reading are too low and yes that has been the case with my drums. Not too long ago a friend mentioned that my drums were getting lost in the mix; un-mic'ed. When he set in for a number of songs I could hear what he was talking about.

The Tune Bot phone calculator has a Pitch Adjust bar (each number is a semi-tone difference or 1/2 step) I was using "0". Now I've move it up to "1". And they seem to sound much better now. At least in my situation.

So what I'm saying here is; don't be afraid to tune higher because out front your drums will sound lower than they do behind the set.

sherm
When I started to play around with it, I tried every selection on the scale LOL! Some were good, some were not. As you say, don't be afraid! You are bound to find one that you like.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got the tune bot and got my toms sounding really good “maximum resonance” pretty easily. Tuned the snare top without trouble too, but the bottom had has been next to impossible. I am using “hi-range” and trying to get the lugs to 378. The readings are just all over the place - I’ll tap the same lug 3 times and get 395, 315, and then 120. I have found slightly more consistent results using mallets, rather than sticks, and I am trying to hit in the same place and at the same velocity, but I simply can’t get the lugs in tune this way. I thought I had them all at about 380, turned them over and then back, and the first lug gave me a reading of 400.

Appreciate any advice specifically on this front, for now I’ll stick w the drum dial for that head (mine is not quite as broken as I feared).
OH Yes; those bothersome numbers, like you said, 395, 315, and so on. I think I have just decided to TRY to ignore them the best I can. Thinking I may have it so far off one time I starter over two times and then noticed just over finger tight in a quite room I got a 300 plus reading at one of the lugs and then two more started giving me fits. So I just continued to tighten them the same as I did the others and at the same time listening/tuning to the bad lug by ear (which is hard for me to do) hoping I'm keeping then all the same tension. As the head got tighter, over time and I turned on the FILTER as I was getting close to the target reading they all started coming together.

I'm not so sure why that happens but we all feel like the the tuner is picking up some wild overtones either coming from the head or the drum shell and by the way that snare reso head is one of the hardest heads to tune.

Enjoy your new Tune Bot and it's just like everything else, it takes practice.

sherm

One more thing; new drum heads can also give problems at first until they start to even out or a really old head can also be hard to tune.

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
Got the tune bot and got my toms sounding really good “maximum resonance” pretty easily. Tuned the snare top without trouble too, but the bottom had has been next to impossible. I am using “hi-range” and trying to get the lugs to 378. The readings are just all over the place - I’ll tap the same lug 3 times and get 395, 315, and then 120. I have found slightly more consistent results using mallets, rather than sticks, and I am trying to hit in the same place and at the same velocity, but I simply can’t get the lugs in tune this way. I thought I had them all at about 380, turned them over and then back, and the first lug gave me a reading of 400.

Appreciate any advice specifically on this front, for now I’ll stick w the drum dial for that head (mine is not quite as broken as I feared).
Try putting half a piece of moongel in the center of the head while tuning and see if that helps. Also, I’m assuming you are doing something with the snares so they aren’t interacting with the head while you’re tuning.

I’ve had good results with the snare side head and the Tunebot. But it can be a bit tricky at times.

Also, check out this video. I don’t actually measure, but I do look closely to make sure the distance is basically the same around the head. And then I use the Tunebot to get all the lug pitches the same...

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Ok, been messing with this thing a bit now. Further observations:
Tuning my toms to a fundamental note that is on pitch = A440 sounds off when played in setting. I don't know if it is my technique or what but in different rooms it is the same deal. My toms sound much more in tune with the group (who tune A=440 by tuner,) when tuned flat to the pitch. For me that is around 143 fundamental on high tom for a D, 94 low tom for a G. The bass is fundamental around 55 but it moves around depending on the strike pressure and quickness of release of the beater, it is around an A.
I haven't got the snare quite figured out yet, but i will say that my reso is up there with you guys. The Tune-bot def reads better than the app did.
Also although my house mate does not particularly love the T.B., I am really glad i dropped the coin for it.
A