Tune-Bot Thread

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a happier camper since my gig last night. Actually my drums were very resonate at these high notes, I was pleasantly surprised:
Both heads the same tuned at the lug;
10" C# (3), 238 Hz
12" G# (2), 179 Hz
16" D# (2), 134 Hz
Lesson learned; too great a changed to a higher note on the same day of a gig and I'm sure the high humidity didn't help.

But they are higher than my liking so I lowered them a half step and they sounded better:
Both heads the same tuned at the lug; As per calculator Max Resonance, Pitch Adjust 0.
10" C (3), 225Hz
12" G (2), 169 Hz
16" D (2), 126 Hz

This week I plan to lower them another half step and get them ready for next Wednesday's gig also in a restaurant but we are not as crowded.
10" B (3), 212 Hz
12" F# (2), 159 Hz
16" C# (2), 119 Hz

We'll see what happens. The snare sounded good, I did check the fundamental note and it was F# 3rd octave I am a little worried because the 12" tom will be F# but in a lower octave. I didn't get a chance to check the lug values in Hertz on the snare.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm willing to listen.

I'll do another review next week.

sherm

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a happier camper since my gig last night. Actually my drums were very resonate at these high notes, I was pleasantly surprised:
10" C# (3), 238 Hz
12" G# (2), 179 Hz
16" D# (2), 134 Hz
Lesson learned; too great a changed to a higher note on the same day of a gig and I'm sure the high humidity didn't help.

But they are higher than my liking so I lowered them a half step and they sounded better:
Both heads the same tuned at the lug; As per calculator Max Resonance, Pitch Adjust 0.
10" C (3), 225Hz
12" G (2), 169 Hz
16" D (2), 126 Hz

This week I plan to lower them another half step and get them ready for next Wednesday's gig also in a restaurant but we are not as crowded.
10" B (3), 212 Hz
12" F# (2), 159 Hz
16" C# (2), 119 Hz

We'll see what happens. The snare sounded good, I did check the fundamental note and it was F# 3rd octave I am a little worried because the 12" tom will be F# but in a lower octave. I didn't get a chance to check the lug values in Hertz on the snare.

sherm
That's great that it worked out. And nice of you to post your numbers. I'm sure that can help somebody with a kit of similar proportions to yours. I wish I could help but I'm still on training wheels with the Tune bot. I'm experimenting whenever I get a chance. I've been so busy with work in the last 10 days that I haven't had time for anything. I have a few days off beginning Saturday so that should open up some free time for me to play around.

Rick

Reaction score
My Aux & practice snares have Aquarian texture coated and Attack medium batters (very similar) and those feel great and make those drums sound very nice. I need to keep experimenting switching out to see what I like. I might even try an ambassador soon to see how it sounds.
Update on the Attack head I put on my snare. It sounded good at home but not so much on the gig Tuesday night. It wasn't bad... just not as good as the Aquarian Texture Coated I had on it before. The biggest issue was the sound with brushes. Something about the coating just didn't let me articulate the pulse with my brush pattern. I was having to work really hard at making it sound right, whereas on the Aquarian TC it was really effortless. The other thing was the tone of the head. It sounded decent but, again, the Aquarian Texture Coated had a more versatile, prettier tone that I thought fit the music better.

Anyway, it was definitely worth a try. I haven't completely written it off yet, as I'm playing again tonight (my drums are still at the venue from Tuesday so no chance to change the head) and another gig tomorrow night too. So the Attack head is going to get two more chances, one of which will be in a different room with different acoustics. We'll see. In the meantime, I've ordered a new Aquarian Texture Coated that will be here tomorrow.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Update on the Attack head I put on my snare. It sounded good at home but not so much on the gig Tuesday night. It wasn't bad... just not as good as the Aquarian Texture Coated I had on it before. The biggest issue was the sound with brushes. Something about the coating just didn't let me articulate the pulse with my brush pattern. I was having to work really hard at making it sound right, whereas on the Aquarian TC it was really effortless. The other thing was the tone of the head. It sounded decent but, again, the Aquarian Texture Coated had a more versatile, prettier tone that I thought fit the music better.

Anyway, it was definitely worth a try. I haven't completely written it off yet, as I'm playing again tonight (my drums are still at the venue from Tuesday so no chance to change the head) and another gig tomorrow night too. So the Attack head is going to get two more chances, one of which will be in a different room with different acoustics. We'll see. In the meantime, I've ordered a new Aquarian Texture Coated that will be here tomorrow.
For me the Attack head was an experiment of interest. I don't gig or play with brushes so I would not be able to tell like you. For regular playing in my house it sounds good especially for the cheap price. But I use Aquarians like you as my #1 and will continue to because I'm happy with them. But I think the Attack's are alright! Let us know how the second round goes.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I googled tune bot settings and saw a bunch of numbers posted on other websites. I have tried different ones throughout the week from here and from other places where people post them. I have found what sounds like the best for my setup. They sound phenomenal!
I give credit for this to somebody called Jeff Wald. He's the one that posted it in another forum. Numbers are depicted in: Top lugs/Bottom lugs/Fundamental

18x22 Bass 92/66/35
7x8 Tom 326/348/200
8x10 Tom 276/290/168
9x12 Tom 194/224/124
10x13 Tom 144/166/97
14x14 Floor tom 130/138/83
16x16 Floor tom 101/107/62

I use Aquarian Performance II's on the batters of my toms and Aquarian Hi-frequency on the resos of my toms & floor toms. For my bass drum I use Aquarian Impact II for the batter & Impact I for the reso. Drums are Ludwig evolution maple.

As for my snares, I have come to the conclusion that the tune bot just doesn't work well on the reso side of snares and not so good on the batter side. I have tried and tried and numbers are all over the place. I've tried with the filter and without and all the other methods everyone has posted. The only possibility I haven't tried is completely removing the snare wire. I really don't want to go thru that so I'm tuning the snares by ear as I always have and I'm happy with that. Both my main snare and aux are metal (Acrolite & Supralite). I yet to try it on one of my wood snares but I will this week just to see how that works out. Hope this information is useful for someone.
LRod

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
10" C# (3), 238 Hz
12" G# (2), 179 Hz
16" D# (2), 134 Hz

10" C (3), 225Hz
12" G (2), 169 Hz
16" D (2), 126 Hz

10" B (3), 212 Hz
12" F# (2), 159 Hz
16" C# (2), 119 Hz

sherm
Well I promised and failed. My allergies have been kicking me in the rear. Last Saturday, I was at the RC flying field; the high was about 56 degrees and cloudy overcast, cold winds 10 to 12 mph out of the east and I don't know why I stayed out there so long, well maybe I was waiting for our free lunch. LOL!

Just didn't feel like messing with drums, so I left early yesterday to have time for tuning at the gig. I opened the truck cover and there in place of the bass pedal was my RC Ground equipment; realized I didn't pack the bass drum pedal (BUMMER!) I then set up the drums and still had an hour and a half to go home and get back. I made it back with 15 minute to spare. The toms were in tune with each other but with a very low tuning. I played the gig without having time to even check the Fundamental notes. All I wanted to do was go home and go to bed.

My goal for Tuesday night is still with the Fundamental as B, F# and C#:
10" B (3), 212 Hz, at the Lug
12" F# (2), 159 Hz, at the lug
16" C# (2), 119 Hz, at the lug

sherm

BTW: For you full scale guys. With the cross winds coming from the pilots back the Electric guys were taking off, down wind. LOL!!

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
So I googled tune bot settings and saw a bunch of numbers posted on other websites. I have tried different ones throughout the week from here and from other places where people post them. I have found what sounds like the best for my setup. They sound phenomenal!
I give credit for this to somebody called Jeff Wald. He's the one that posted it in another forum. Numbers are depicted in: Top lugs/Bottom lugs/Fundamental

18x22 Bass 92/66/35
7x8 Tom 326/348/200
8x10 Tom 276/290/168
9x12 Tom 194/224/124
10x13 Tom 144/166/97

I use Aquarian Performance II's on the batters of my toms and Aquarian Hi-frequency on the resos of my toms & floor toms. For my bass drum I use Aquarian Impact II for the batter & Impact I for the reso. Drums are Ludwig evolution maple.

As for my snares, I have come to the conclusion that the tune bot just doesn't work well on the reso side of snares and not so good on the batter side. I have tried and tried and numbers are all over the place. I've tried with the filter and without and all the other methods everyone has posted. The only possibility I haven't tried is completely removing the snare wire. I really don't want to go thru that so I'm tuning the snares by ear as I always have and I'm happy with that. Both my main snare and aux are metal (Acrolite & Supralite). I yet to try it on one of my wood snares but I will this week just to see how that works out. Hope this information is useful for someone.
LRod
I've found the snare reso head is the hardest to to get pitches on. There seems to be a lot of janky frequencies that throw off the TB. but I get it as close as I can. I'm really happy with tuning to 4ths on the snare and toms.

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes tuning snare drums for me is a chore. I normally only use the TB when replacing heads, then I make changes as they stretch over time. I just make minor adjustments as needed and try my best to keep it even around the drum. BTW: I need a new reso for my snare NOW. LOL

BUT, don't forget to use the FILTER feature, it can help. If it's way off you might try reinstalling the head.

sherm

kzoosteve

Reaction score

18x22 Bass 92/66/35
7x8 Tom 326/348/200
8x10 Tom 276/290/168
9x12 Tom 194/224/124
10x13 Tom 144/166/97

LRod
Things you may have already tried, but I put my snare on a couch pillow, put a drumstick under the snares to hold them up and have had 0 issues dialing in a pitch and note on both sides. I think one thing to focus on as well is tuning on a note so the relationship between top and bottom is aligned. I started with some base recommendations shooting for D on batter, G on reso. 392/294 gets them dialed right in on my 6.5 bell brass (perfect D and G...I fine tuned to get each lug from being sharp or flat). Took same approach on toms as well (13 A over D, 16 D over G).

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am using the tune bot studio as well.

Steve

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Things you may have already tried, but I put my snare on a couch pillow, put a drumstick under the snares to hold them up and have had 0 issues dialing in a pitch and note on both sides. I think one thing to focus on as well is tuning on a note so the relationship between top and bottom is aligned. I started with some base recommendations shooting for D on batter, G on reso. 392/294 gets them dialed right in on my 6.5 bell brass (perfect D and G...I fine tuned to get each lug from being sharp or flat). Took same approach on toms as well (13 A over D, 16 D over G).

Steve
I've tried all that and nothing. It's still all over the place. I don't know if it's something with the Acrolite. I haven't tried in a different room or on one of my wooden snares. I'm gonna try this weekend.

Rick

Reaction score

Steve
I do basically the same thing for my snare. When I tune the reso head, I put the drum on a table on top of a folded bath towel to take the batter head out of the equation. I'm fortunate I have a Tama Starphonic snare, so I can detach one end of the snares and get them out of the way while tuning, without changing the way I have my snares set. My snare (Starphonic Bubinga) is a 6X14 and my lug pitches on the Tunebot are 298 batter and 398 reso, using an Aquarian Texture Coated for the batter and Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side for the reso. I get a beautiful tone out of the drum with a fundamental pitch of G#, and I get a nice crisp snare response at all dynamics.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes tuning snare drums for me is a chore. I normally only use the TB when replacing heads, then I make changes as they stretch over time. I just make minor adjustments as needed and try my best to keep it even around the drum. BTW: I need a new reso for my snare NOW. LOL

BUT, don't forget to use the FILTER feature, it can help. If it's way off you might try reinstalling the head.

sherm
It's the factory Ludwig heads and they are brand new since it's a new drum. I don't know if that might help since it came with it from the factory. I also tried filter and no filter and it's the same. Also I used the high frequency setting. I'm gonna try another room and see. Maybe it's getting background noise from the other drums.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do basically the same thing for my snare. When I tune the reso head, I put the drum on a table on top of a folded bath towel to take the batter head out of the equation. I'm fortunate I have a Tama Starphonic snare, so I can detach one end of the snares and get them out of the way while tuning, without changing the way I have my snares set. My snare (Starphonic Bubinga) is a 6X14 and my lug pitches on the Tunebot are 298 batter and 398 reso, using an Aquarian Texture Coated for the batter and Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side for the reso. I get a beautiful tone out of the drum with a fundamental pitch of G#, and I get a nice crisp snare response at all dynamics.
I have a maple snare with the same heads. I'm gonna try it with that one and see and give your settings a shot.

Rick

Reaction score
I've tried all that and nothing. It's still all over the place. I don"t know if it's something with the Acrolite. I haven't tried in a different room or on one of my wooden snares. I'm gonna try this weekend.
I wonder if it's the Acrolite? I've only used the Tunebot on wooden drums and don't have any experience with it on aluminum. If you have a wooden snare, I'd try it out and see if you have better luck. Not sure what to suggest for the Acrolite. Maybe it has more overtones and confuses the Tunebot?

Rick

Reaction score
I have a maple snare with the same heads. I'm gonna try it with that one and see and give your settings a shot.
That sounds like a good idea. I have a Tama SLP Classic Maple snare (5X14) with those same heads on it and I use the same Tunebot settings as my Starphonic Bubinga. I don't know... that might be a higher fundamental pitch than you want but it works well for my purposes.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if it's the Acrolite? I've only used the Tunebot on wooden drums and don't have any experience with it on aluminum. If you have a wooden snare, I'd try it out and see if you have better luck. Not sure what to suggest for the Acrolite. Maybe it has more overtones and confuses the Tunebot?
That's what I think. Maybe the rigidness of aluminum has to do with it. Also the fact that it's aluminum may give off some overtones that we can't hear but the tune bot does. Even with the filter on it goes nuts.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. I have a Tama SLP Classic Maple snare (5X14) with those same heads on it and I use the same Tunebot settings as my Starphonic Bubinga. I don't know... that might be a higher fundamental pitch than you want but it works well for my purposes.
It's a starting point. I'm really more interested in seeing if it can tune any snare at all. It should, I mean it tunes my maple 13" tom and my 14" floor tom so theoretically it should work on the wood snare which is the same material. Another drum that I don't think I've mentioned is my 8" tom. It does the job with that one but with a lot of patience. I think the tune bot doesn't work very well on drums smaller that 10". I can understand that though because opposing lugs are pretty close to each other so I think it has trouble reading a sound on a specific spot on the drum. (less circumference/less mylar) You hit one spot and it's practically picking up the sound from the whole drum. Matter of fact, it gives readings back and forth that show lug pitch and then throws a number like it's picking up the fundamental. It cycles back and forth with that. But overall I'm happy because my drums sound better than ever and I can live with the snare deficiency since my ear is pretty good at tuning those.

Last edited:

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
It's a starting point. I'm really more interested in seeing if it can tune any snare at all. It should, I mean it tunes my maple 13" tom and my 14" floor tom so theoretically it should work on the wood snare which is the same material. Another drum that I don't think I've mentioned is my 8" tom. It does the job with that one but with a lot of patience. I think the tune bot doesn't work very well on drums smaller that 10". I can understand that though because opposing lugs are pretty close to each other so I think it has trouble reading a sound on a specific spot on the drum. (less circumference/less mylar) You hit one spot and it's practically picking up the sound from the whole drum. Matter of fact, it gives readings back and forth that show lug pitch and then throws a number like it's picking up the fundamental. It cycles back and forth with that. But overall I'm happy because my drums sound better than ever and I can live with the snare deficiency since my ear is pretty good at tuning those.
Also, consider the relationship between tension and diameter and that the slightest adjustment will have a more profound impact on an 8". You are dealing with the highest tuning register and only have 4-lugs. Add the fact that the sustain at that size and pitch will be the most limited, and you have a recipe for issues trying to dial in to an exact reading. On the plus side, I would guess that there is a greater margin of error on an 8" so that even mismatched TB readings can still sound fine.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Irod, go fly your airplane then try again. LOL

Actually I have no clue, I do remember a similar problem I had with a 12" tom some months ago. Frustrated, I removed the head then went to bed. The next day I very carefully reinstalled the head and it worked fine. I don't remember if it was an old or new head. I don't know, if maybe, the plastic needed to regroup over night or if for some reason the lugs got so far out of kilter with each other, it's still a mystery to me.

sherm

Rick

Reaction score
It's a starting point. I'm really more interested in seeing if it can tune any snare at all.
Yeah, like I said, it tunes mine just fine. In fact, my snare batter head is the EASIEST to tune with the Tunebot of all my drums. The reso isn't bad either. I'm almost wondering if it's possible you have some bearing edge problems with that Acrolite or possibly it's out of round (is that possible with an aluminum snare)? Have you tried more than one head? Could possibly be a bad head. Anyway, those are all my ideas on it. I hope you're able to get it figured out!