Tune Bot Tuning Question

kzoosteve

Reaction score
I've been really happy with the tune bot..in fact, it's really been a game changer.....question is getting specific on the snare (or any other drum for that matter).

I have my batter tuned to D4 (311), and the Reso at 392 (G4).....

While fine tuning and experimenting, I dropped the reso to a G4, but on the flat side of the G4 (387) and it seemed to give it a bit more body...

My question is, are my ears tricking me with paralysis with over analysis as in theory a perfect D over perfect G I would have thought to be the "correct" tuning, but maybe its not the specific with tuning...

Granted, its a pretty minor change, but wanted to see what others opinions are on trusting the tuner vs your ear (which in my case has been historically inaccurate :) )

Thanks,

Steve

Ptrick

Reaction score
The snare side is a tricky one with the bot. In my experience, not all snares respond the same way to the snare side head tunings. I generally like the sound and feel of a ‘cranked’ snare side head, but certain drums like it a bit lower or they start to choke, and will read flat of my ‘normal ‘ tunings. In this case, definitely go with your ears and just record the new settings you like. There’s nothing that says your drum has to be at some perfect interval tuning.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. I don't get caught up in batter/reso note ratios with the tunebot for my snares. My "standard" approach for all my snares is 80 on the drum dial (I prefer the DD to the tunebot for my snare reso) which translates into something like 380hz on the tunebot if memory serves. That is using an evans hazy 300 on the snare side. I then vary the pitch on the batter head depending on what I like on that particular drum.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you using the Tune bot studio? It has a high frequency mode for the snare reso. I find it's a pain regardless. I tune the snare reso by ear, I crank it up and then tune the batter side with the Tune bot and that works out fine.

kzoosteve

Reaction score
I am using the studio....have had 0 issues getting it where i want...just checking my logic vs my ear :)

Ptrick

Reaction score
I agree with the above. I don't get caught up in batter/reso note ratios with the tunebot for my snares. My "standard" approach for all my snares is 80 on the drum dial (I prefer the DD to the tunebot for my snare reso) which translates into something like 380hz on the tunebot if memory serves. That is using an evans hazy 300 on the snare side. I then vary the pitch on the batter head depending on what I like on that particular drum.
I too prefer the drum dial on the snare reso. Mine is usually between 83-85, which comes out to 380-400 on the tunebot on most snares.

Rick

Reaction score
I use 395hz for the reso on my Tama Starphonic Bubinga snare with an Aquarian Classic Clear snare side head. That gives me a nice crisp snare response using the stock snares. 295hz for the batter, which is an Aquarian Texture Coated. To be clear, those are lug pitches. On that drum it results in a fundamental pitch of 3G to G#. I’d say that’s a “medium high” tuning. Very versatile. I have no trouble using the Tunebot with either head.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
I tend to crank my reso tight and just do it by ear and feel table top tight and use the tune bot for the batter. Unlike every other head, my reso is not tuned even anyway with it being slightly more loose around the wires to reduce buzz the old Dyno trick

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The snare side is a tricky one with the bot. In my experience, not all snares respond the same way to the snare side head tunings. I generally like the sound and feel of a ‘cranked’ snare side head, but certain drums like it a bit lower or they start to choke, and will read flat of my ‘normal ‘ tunings. In this case, definitely go with your ears and just record the new settings you like. There’s nothing that says your drum has to be at some perfect interval tuning.
Exactly; it all comes down to what you like the drum to sound like. The nice thing about tuners is they help you get back to the same sound every time.

Go to the websites of all tuners of all types, they all have a disclaimer: The numbers given are only RECOMMENDATIONS, as a starting point for you to find the sound of your choice or some kind of jargon like that.

Congratulations, experimentation is the Key and by changing that reso head you learned something new.

Thanks for sharing,

sherm