header.nohb.html

Tunebot question and snare bed

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So, I'm pretty good at using the tunebot and usually, I'm at only 0.5 hrtz green max from the reference one recorded for the lugs. With my 8 lugs snare, I can do the same with the 4 lugs around the wires like the others but today, with the Starphonic, anytime I raise the snare bed lugs, it changes up the 3 other pairs of lugs. Is it because it's a 10 live instead of 8. If yes, why? Because the range for each lug is larger due to having less lugs?
Also, I heard several time that you will never be able to completely have the snare bed lugs at the same Tension of the other ones, just because if the snare bed. Is it true?
So, if I have to leave a bit of a difference in the snare bed lugs, is 2.5hrtz, yellow so, lower, is ok or should I try to go closer to the 3 external pairs of lugs like 1hrtz or 0.5 Hertz lower?
Let me know
Sincerely

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The snare side head is tricky when using tuning gadgets. When I use the Tunebot, the only snare I have where I can get the exact reading on all lugs most the time is my DW snare. It could be because their snare beds are smaller. Tune bot says on their website that it’s okay if the four lugs closest to the snare bed are 5 to 10 Hz below the others. I’m a little confused because when I use the Drumdial, it has you measure between two lugs near the snare bed and not one of the lugs right on the snare bed like Tunebot has you do. I think I’m gonna go with a drumdial for a while if I tune my snare drum because it sounds pretty good to me. But the recommended drumdial settings that come with it aren’t that great. I think that’s why it’s good to have a tune-bot because you can get a fundamental pitch of the drum by tapping on it when the snares are off to know if the overall pitch is too high or low I guess. I’m not sure if the Tunebot is the best way to tune your snare. Also, I had good results with Rob Brown’s snare tuning method on YouTube once. One last thing, the people at Drumdial always say to not tune the SS head over 82 or 83 with their gadget because you chance stretching the head. Tunebot always recommends to tune the head to around 398hz with is way over 82 on the Drumdial. Just something to think about.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, yes, that makes sense to have the lugs a bit less at the snare beds, I will see if it's better this way. Thanks for the Infos, I tried to find this on their website but couldn't find where they say 5 to 10 hrtz be!ow.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing is that there is wrinkles on the resonant head on the Dunnet, just in the snare end, maybe because they are so large but it seems that they might have been stretched too much. I might order the kit from DCP it comes with a new snare 42 strands and a snare side head. It seems that the further left wire is lower so, maybe crooked? Well, I have re watch Benny Greg tuning tips and I possess my snare wires, if I what less sustain and less tone from the shell, I will use dampening instead of tightening the snare wires.
Also, the Drumtaks works better in SANRE than the truetone, the truetone are perfect for rack Toms and floor Tom and on some snare it changes a bit the tine of the drums which is not happening at all with the truetone. So, I have both and both are good depending on the situation.
Well, I might be a bit if an OCD too, I hear a bit of a buzz but to make sure it exist, I have to glue my head/ear close to the snare...So, not sure you will hear it in a live situation... But in recording, all the little details come up, I noticed that...
Well, still on the tough route to learn how to tune well and fast...

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have wide and shallow beds, you can get the same pitch all around, but this requires tuning so that the bottom hoop bends to follow the beds.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have wide and shallow beds, you can get the same pitch all around, but this requires tuning so that the bottom hoop bends to follow the beds.
Ok, and this will help to decrease the buzz, right? Which means, you have to force the hoop to bend in turning more the 4 lugs at the snare beds??

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, and this will help to decrease the buzz, right? Which means, you have to force the hoop to bend in turning more the 4 lugs at the snare beds??
Yes to the second question. Regarding buzz, I'm not sure. Is it even possible to have a sensitive snare response without buzz?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes to the second question. Regarding buzz, I'm not sure. Is it even possible to have a sensitive snare response without buzz?
Yes, I know, it's just hat, when the wires have almost decreased in volume, I have a little zing that comes afterwards, not during the normal buzz. Almost all my shred do that so, there should be something wrong with my tuning...ok, it 's not here anymore when I put a little dampening but I'm trying to be perfect without dampening...