Tuned and ready to go?

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So you have loads of drums in your home, and since you are not playing the big arenas at this time, do you make sure all those drums are tuned and ready to play, or do you let them relax for awhile and take a break?...............Maybe tune them if and when they need to go to work?...It does'nt take long
I would think if you had them ALL ready to go out the door, you MUST spend a lot of time tweaking those shells regularly.

How much time do you invest in tuning your circle of drums?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
My drums really don’t lose their tuning very often while in my drum room here at home. When I take them out to gig, I tune them to the room - some rooms require the drums to be tuned higher, some need you to tune them lower.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Remo Fiberskyn heads, and I've noticed that the fiber coating does seem to react to weather changes a bit more than plain Remo coated heads do. What that means is that if the temperature outside is in the 70s one day and in the 90s a day or two later (or visa versa) the heads may need a bit of tweaking to bring them back to where the drums were before the temperature changed.

When I was on the road throughout the upper midwest of the USA, during the winter my drums (Vistalites with Remo clear Ambs) would go from as low as –20°F in our equipment truck to +65°F inside the venue. That big a temperature change always did require a fair amount of re-tuning once the drums came up to room temperature.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine are consistent. Played my CC’s today and didn’t touch the tuning.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After the Big Freeze here in Texas I went to the garage and checked my gigging drums, which didn't leave the garage between 3/11/20 and 4/22/21. No tuning necessary for them, all Gretsch with Aquarian Vintage heads. Bass drums (20" and 22") have Evans EQ4 batters and single ply resos, and they are fine too.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s no way I’m going to go into the city to check on the tuning of what I have at the rehearsal space...only a couple of snares as I use(d) backline kits on tour....;)
At (anyone’s) home if they are good drums and are maintained they will/should hold their tuning. This really doesn’t matter anyway as there will be some tweakage involved when you take them to a gig and whatever that acoustical environment dictates. If they are going out of tune on the date or gig then there’s a problem.
bt

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1966 Slingerland kit is set up and played daily at home, I tune as needed.
(13", 16, and 20" bass.)

My 1975 Slingerland kit is set up at my bassist's house and gets played once a week at rehearsal. Again, I tune them when I have to, but it is not needed all that often.
(12", 13", 16", 18", and 22" bass)

My 2008 DW kit is packed in cases on a rack, ready for the next time I use them.
(8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16" and 22" bass.)

My 2019/2020 Gretsch shell bank is packed in cases near the back door. They will get tuned the next time I gig with them.
(10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18", and 18", 20", 22", and 24" bass drums.)

Those four setups are a total of twenty five drums.

I currently have forty snare drums. About once a month I take a different one to rehearsal, and I change out what I use for practice at home regularly as well just to amuse myself. I tune whatever snare comes up in the rotation then.

All told I currently have a total of sixty five drums, fifty five of which are in cases. No, I don't keep them all tuned all of the time.
(That would be a full time job.)

Last edited:

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just played a Ludwig Classic Maple kit last weekend that have been in cases for over a year and when I set them up at the gig, they were still in tune and sounded great! I was prepared to re-tune, but it wasn't necessary.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
During the normal times my drums were stored in my pickup 24/7. I've found humidity changes affected them the most. From truck to air conditioned room can make a difference. I try to arrive 2 hours prior to start time. I also remove all drums from the cases first, prior to setting them up. This give them more time to acclimate to the room prior to tweaking. Tuning to soon can require more tweaking during the gig.

sherm

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had time to or hadn't played one of my kits for a looooooong time...I might. I play vintage mostly & those drums like to be in one place pretty much.

Usually I just catch it when I'm setting up at a gig, before soundcheck (if you get one) right after I set up. If something sounds out I'll check each lug quickly by feel for just the tension, sometimes they need just less than a quarter turn at each lug to put them back under tension. Maybe a little more or less from lug to lug. Then if I have a dive or a 'wow' out of tune sound I'll tap at each lug to hear if one is way out.

Fast work usually..... usually, lol.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my kits packed in bags ready to go on a moment’s notice . The drums are kept in my house so no wild fluctuations in temperature so the drums stay in tune pretty well . I will tweak them when I get to the venue if required .