Tuning 13x9 3-ply Ludwig

nylontip

Reaction score
Remo clear ambassador's on top (I couldn't see the reso side)

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Don't forget that the Inde mount require no new holes or modifications. Which would seem like a preferable solution to caring around another snare stand all of the time.

I've personally never had much luck with 2 ply resos but I know some people have.
I'd go with a clear ambassador reso. Though the coated Diplomat suggestion has me intrigued.
I was surprised too when I saw a coated Diplomat as the reso on the floor tom. But, it sounds big and round - especially in front of the kit - it resonates forever in a good way. I should be getting a clear and coated ambassador head to test out on the 13inch. I looked for a coated Diplomat in that size but had no luck.

The Inde mount does look to be a good option.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Remo clear ambassador's on top (I couldn't see the reso side)
Random question - do you happen to know the size of the lug hex screws inside the shell? I'd like to get a tool to match the size so I can clean the hardware, etc. in the next few weeks.
No, I use Evans coated G2 on top and Evans G1 clear on the reso side. I like the thinner coating on the Evans. They sound wonderful on Ludwigs. (But so do most heads, they're just great sounding drums)
Do you happen to know the lug hex screw size inside the Ludwig shells? I'd like to get a tool in this size so I can clean the hardware, etc soon.

Screenshot_20200518-111350.png

Billster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW, with 3 ply Ludwig toms I have become a firm believer in Remo Coated Ambassador's for batter heads and Remo Clear Diplomat's for resonant heads.
Most recently, I have found the best pricing on heads at altomusic.com. The website search engine is pretty weak, but if you search by actual Mfr part number they come right up. If your 13" tom still chokes on the rail mount, you might try a rims mount on the drum.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
FWIW, with 3 ply Ludwig toms I have become a firm believer in Remo Coated Ambassador's for batter heads and Remo Clear Diplomat's for resonant heads.
Most recently, I have found the best pricing on heads at altomusic.com. The website search engine is pretty weak, but if you search by actual Mfr part number they come right up. If your 13" tom still chokes on the rail mount, you might try a rims mount on the drum.
Agreed 100% about Coated Ambassadors/Clear Diplomats. Well put!!!!

TPC

Reaction score
I have a set of 3-ply Lud's from that era, and I occasionally had tom resonant issues. It always had to do with the mounting. Often the (crappy) tom mount would loosen and the rack toms would lean against the bass drum and the resonance would diminish, sometimes a lot. I would fix it by placing some soft material (a rolled up towel, for example) between the rim and bass drum shell.

I used two-ply heads regularly, so I don't believe your problem is due to head choices. Experiment with the mounting options and I think you'll fix your problem.

Additionally, I would always tune them with the reso head very tight and then the batter head to pitch. That seemed to get me the best full, but relatively short tone from those very lively shells.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Thanks! I just ordered a coated and clear Diplomat from AltoMusic. I was able to get the tom sounding a little 'fatter' and rounder finally. I basically took the batter head off - and made sure it was seated well all around the shell. I finger tightened all around - then very slowly brought the head up lug by lug while tapping. Once I got what tone I was after I then de-tuned one lug a little and instantly it came back to life. I'm looking forward to seeing if the single ply ambassadors and diplomats make any difference to hopefully make this drum a little easier to get 'that sound' I'm after.

Myk

Reaction score
I have a rail mount but use a snare stand, my 13 tom sounds great, single ply coated 10mil top and bottom

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm running a coated Emperor up and a clear Ambassador down on my 13 and it sounds amazing. Probably the best 13 I've ever had. It mounts to a rail mount. No issues here. I think the double 2 ply heads are killing your sound. My standard rule of thumb is a coated Ambassador up and down on any vintage drum and if you can't get it sounding good there, something's wrong.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
I pretty much live and die by coated 1ply on both sides of 3ply kits, if that helps at all. (reso always higher, and overall probably higher than you'd think)
I just checked out your Instagram. Man, your stuff sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing what you do! Now I want some Istanbul cymbals to go with my kit.

Browny

Reaction score
Could always try putting the tom on a snare stand. I've got an old Pearl flat based stand from the 60s (I think?) that works great. It's tall enough to get the 13" comfortably over the top of my 26" and stable enough that I don't notice it, but it also has a little give which I think helps not suck the tone/sustain out of a drum. I glued a little bit of foam on the inside of each of the basket claws which effectively suspend the tom on the stand. I can't tell the difference between holding the drum in my hand or playing it on the stand.

Conversely, the double braced one I currently use for my snare completely kills the resonance of a tom, especially when you're tuning a bit lower. I got the same tone-sucking results with my old 1980 Superstar toms (coated emps over coated ambs, triple flange hoops, regular sized toms 12x8", 13x9" & 14x10") that I do with my Radio King 13" (coated amb over classic amb, single flange hoop). The Tama tom mounts took a bit of that 'goodness' out of the drum too.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Random question - do you happen to know the size of the lug hex screws inside the shell? I'd like to get a tool to match the size so I can clean the hardware, etc. in the next few weeks.

Do you happen to know the lug hex screw size inside the Ludwig shells? I'd like to get a tool in this size so I can clean the hardware, etc soon.

View attachment 442143
I use a 1/4" screw driver. It's a screw driver with the tip already built in.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's the best part! Hot water and Dawn bath - take the screws and inserts out, and throw the lug, screws, inserts,
and rods into the bath for a few hours. I like to use a non-abrasive sponge, an old tooth brush and sometimes a wire toothbrush (not on the chrome of the lugs) to clean these items. As for shells, depends on how dirty - generally a towel lightly damp with hot water. Rarely do I use any chemicals - maybe Windex.....

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks man!
If you were playing unmiced* would you still go with the reso-higher tuning?

*Did you ever do much small club/bar playing or did coming up and finding success first through the church have you playing inherently big rooms from the jump gig-wise?