Tuning a Snare Drum-Supra

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a supra and have for most of my life.
The fundamental pitch is around 190.
I was trying to determine if this is medium or high tuning.
I have seen ranges from 160-250

Any opninions

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
190Hz is around gb/g.
IMO, rather medium tuning, maybe on the high side. Some poeple tune higher, but I don't think you need to, you should be able to get plenty of crack at this range.

Here's a nice video with a tuning that seems to end up in that range:

gbow

Reaction score
I agree, that's about a medium tuning.

I would consider anything below about 185hz to be low and above about 196 to be high.

I generally tune mine about 196 or so.

Some where in that 185 to around 200 is my preferred range. And I would generally be happier with higher than that before I would be happy with lower.

But it depends on the genre. If I'm in the studio and doing a country/folk tune with subdued drum parts, I might go lower. But generally I get hired for up tempo "push the envelope" type music, so that required more snap!

gabo

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, that's about a medium tuning.

I would consider anything below about 185hz to be low and above about 196 to be high.

I generally tune mine about 196 or so.

Some where in that 185 to around 200 is my preferred range. And I would generally be happier with higher than that before I would be happy with lower.

But it depends on the genre. If I'm in the studio and doing a country/folk tune with subdued drum parts, I might go lower. But generally I get hired for up tempo "push the envelope" type music, so that required more snap!

gabo
I agree I like mine (late 80's Supra) a little higher than the video. I also like it snappy and found that a higher snare side head will help in achieving that sound. My problem is I tend to tune too high then I have a problem with choking the head. So you have to be very careful if that's the sound you like. I like good stick response and there again getting to high can be a problem and I also think sometimes it can shorten the life of the head...but it's the sound that I like; dead center with nice tone around the drum and nice ring closer to the rim.

I play mostly Classic Country and when you have a really good lead guitar player in the band I try to compliment the solos buy playing softer and dead center of the head, you still get a good back beat without ring plus I also close the hi-hat for good articulation which puts all of the attention on the guitar player.

sherm

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to say this is how I like my snare drums tuned, I also have to be carefull not to go too far so that the drum starts getting choked.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
You guys with all of this hz stuff are beyond me. I tune by ear until it sounds good. But I'm old school.

I've played many Supras over the decades. I always found that a tight snare head opened up the resonance more, but I had to tighten the snares to compensate. Not to the point of choking, though.

I also found that a couple of extra tweaks on the four lugs on the sides of the snare beds increased the snare sensitivity.

It's pretty hard to make a Supra sound bad unless you know absolutely nothing about drum tuning

Last edited: