Tuning by Intervals, tunebot owner here

Quai34

Reaction score
So, as I'm a keys player and while I was ok to tune by ear, I needed a little help and started slowly from the tuning the guy who sold me my kit.
After having spent quite a long time in it, my tuning are like this, I'm ok with it but I'm not sure it's going to be the best to recordings like Uptown Funk and others from Bruno Mars.

My current thing is:
16: C2, high resonance tuning in the term of the tunebot website, bottom head higher than the upper head, Fundamental X 1.5 = upper head,
Fundamental X 1.85 = lower head.
So, same for all head and the rest is like that:
13": G3, so, a 5th higher, a lot of you praised 4th in between toms if hey have 16", 14" etc, but because I had a 13" instead of a 14", I figured out it made sense to have a 5th and not a 4th.
Then, between the tuning of the precious owner was just one step between them, I decide on one step and a half so, 3rd minor, then:
12": Bb
10": Db
Should I go minor 3rd like this on the 3 rack toms? Even with a 5th between the 16" and the 13"? I know major 3rd should work well for rock but in Funk we play, there is a lot of IIm7, IIIm7 and VIm7 chords (dorian, phrygien and aeolian modes) so, I thought it could work better?
Of should I go, even with a 13" instead of a 14":
16" at C2, 13" at F, 12" at Bb and 10" at Eb, so, perfect 4th...
Let me know you thoughts and ideas...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know these are drums, not keys, right?

You're going way to deep IMHO. I was a guitar player myself and I had a hard time with tuning drums because I was trying to get them perfect like a guitar needs to be. Drums don't need to be perfect.

I go through YouTube and find a kit that sounds good and I get it close, that's it, done.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a tunebot, but I use it to tune to the timbre note of my shells. Each of my DW toms already has the timbre note printed inside, which makes it easy for me. I just tune each drum to it’s note on bottom head, then the top head slightly tighter.

Try taking the drumheads off of your drums, then tap/thunk the outside of each drum in the middle of it. Doing this should bring out the natural note of the wooden drum shell. See if you can record it or use a tuner to figure out what note that is for each shell. Then use the Tunebot to tune to that note once the heads are back on.

Each drum in the kit has a natural note that it prefers. I wouldn‘t bother with trying to apply these notes to tuning intervals.

Quai34

Reaction score
I have a tunebot, but I use it to tune to the timbre note of my shells. Each of my DW toms already has the timbre note printed inside, which makes it easy for me. I just tune each drum to it’s note on bottom head, then the top head slightly tighter.

Try taking the drumheads off of your drums, then tap/thunk the outside of each drum in the middle of it. Doing this should bring out the natural note of the wooden drum shell. See if you can record it or use a tuner to figure out what note that is for each shell. Then use the Tunebot to tune to that note once the heads are back on.

Each drum in the kit has a natural note that it prefers. I wouldn‘t bother with trying to apply these notes to tuning intervals.
Well, I had read something like that now that you made saying it, I didn't pay attention to it at first but that makes sense, thanks a lot, I will try that.

Loud

Reaction score
A lot of people like the sound of drum demos at the Drummer’s Review site. Here is their tuning guide.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tune to a perfect fourth. Below are the tunings and tune bot settings for my Mapex Armory and DW Design Series kits. First note/number is batter head, second is resonate head.

Armory
10: A-D
12: F-B Flat
14: C-F
16: G-C
Snare: C#-F#

10: 233 - 293
12: 185 - 248
14: 137 - 177
16: 100 - 139

DW

10: A-D
12: E-A
16: B-E
Snare: B - F Sharp
Kick: D-C

10: 220 - 294
12: 165 - 220
16: 123 - 165
Snare : 306 - 375

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I tune by timbre instead of pitch. Once I get them where I want, I do mark the pitches on the head with a pen, but that's just a guideline. As the heads wear in, the best pitch moves a bit. Some rooms require tuning adjustments too.If I switch to a different head model, the best pitch for me also usually changes.

Quai34

Reaction score
A lot of people like the sound of drum demos at the Drummer’s Review site. Here is their tuning guide.

Thanks a lot, after having brought the 4 toms to my store to get an opinion, the guy I trust told me that they were really sounding good and beside the 16" reso head that I hadn't tweaked due to no time for it, all the rest was good...and I just opened the tuning guide of drummersreview and noticed that I'm like them with my 16" at C, my 13" at G, my 12 at A# and my 10 at C#...So, unless I will change a lot the sound of the all kit because of a very different genre, I will stick to what I did, thanks a lot all of you with all your advices, it helped me a lot to be more confident on drums tuning.