header.nohb.html

Tuning Drums - Do you tune to the shell resonance?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I tune each drum until it makes music; then I tweak each one as necessary until the entire drumset sounds like it's a single instrument made up of various similar parts. For the past 55 years all I've needed to do this is my ears.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
These pitches written inside dw drums I think are for matching a kit at the factory, not for tuning reference.
The shell shapes timbre and response, but it doesn‘t resonate a note. Just tap the shell when mounted, as opposed to the head. The tone is produced by the heads and the air between them. Cavity resonance was mentioned, but I’d say it is higher than any fundamental, more of a problematic low mid frequency when a drum is mic‘ed from the inside.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know my DWs have shell resonate notes but every drum does. I usually tune the bottom head to the shell note then I tune the top either lower or higher depending. I watched a lot of tuning videos but Im curious before I buy a tune bot, if others do it the same way? I get a lot more resonance tuning this way.
If your tuning method is working for your, then keep your formula going. I personally do not tune to the note - I just go by ear for what it required for the gig. But all drums do have a tension area that gets the shell vibrating its best. Some drums want to go a little higher, some a little lower. Again, it's not so much tensioning to a specific note, but having a kit where the lower drums are happy at producing a lower "note", relative to the smaller drums.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take all the heads and hardware off of your drum. Tap it with a mallet and listen for the note. This is supposedly the note that the drum sounds best at. Never mind that the note changes after you put the hardware back on, and never mind tuning your toms to intervals that can't possibly all match their "shell notes"
Why not quit pussyfooting around and take up the marimba ?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if I play notes on my drums then I'm a real musician! And maybe one day I'll be a real boy!
I don't know about the rest of you, but one of reasons I took up the drums was to avoid piano lessons .One of the reasons . Looking back I'm not sure that was a good idea , but I was like that as an eighteen year old . Today I'm all growed up , but still have the ' beat ' inside me .

What happens when after tuning my drums to note specificity , I do a clever fill that is dissonant to what's going on around me ( non Ornette Coleman cover band ) ?

Last edited:

djsaysauce

Reaction score
My hearing isnt so good (my left is below average) which i think has made tuning by ear problematic for me.

I started using the tunebot about a couple of months ago and am really pleased that it's helped me tune my drums to sound better.

I used the drum tuning calculator and experimented with different tunings and combinations. I've adapted the dennis chambers 14" snare tuning for my snare (10hz lower for top and bottom head) and i'm really pleased witht the result.

I've tried tuning to shell resonance/pitch but i wasnt any good at it.

ludwigjim

Reaction score
I know my DWs have shell resonate notes but every drum does. I usually tune the bottom head to the shell note then I tune the top either lower or higher depending. I watched a lot of tuning videos but Im curious before I buy a tune bot, if others do it the same way? I get a lot more resonance tuning this way.
My two cents worth. To much is made of tuning to this or that note. Look for years if it sounds good to your ears that’s what matters. They’re your drums and your playing them. Enough already.
I’ve always used simple basic methods and many times get great comments on how warm and full my ‘66 Ludwig’s sound. Nice crisp snappy snare and warm toms with a deep punchy bass drum. No over muffing past moon gel on snare and toms and a PS3 front with an emad clear batter.
Just me.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for a specific note because I always strive for coherent intervals, but certainly not based on a predefined shell pitch.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Forget the types of tuning available..........I'm still trying to remember what a "third" means. Been too long.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
No. This was dumb from the very beginning when John Good started pushing this in the 80s, and now he's stuck with it.
Exactly right.
I asked Good to his face at two different times how it can be that note when you drill and replace with metal. He couldn't give a definitive answer. Marketing hype,like FAST toms,18" deep bassdrum, and whatever else DW has promoted.
I do appreciate Good's passion for sure just not the hype,imho.