Tuning dual 12"s toms.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1963 to66 Slingerland 2R kit. These had two 12" toms I can put different heads on them to help tuning but would like to Gig with these because I have a C.B. set now for that. That has to go. May be a pin stripe Remo on the first and a Ambassador Remo on the second? Your thoughts will be welcome. Do you tune one high and one low side? I like the set for what it is but needs work. It is not the $$ it is the result.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first set I saw with dual 8x12 toms was a Rogers Top Hat kit a local drummer ordered back in the late 50s. When I heard him solo on it during a battle of the bands concert I was impressed with the exceptional tonal separation he got with one tuned high and the other lower and vowed that someday I would own a set just like it. The silver sparkle outfit in the photo is that kit. The black set in the 2nd pic is my modern day version. Coated Ambassadors on all. Just get out your drum key and tune 'em to your liking.

IMG_0078b.JPG

5.JPG

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
The first set I saw with dual 8x12 toms was a Rogers Top Hat kit a local drummer ordered back in the late 50s. When I heard him solo on it during a battle of the bands concert I was impressed with the exceptional tonal separation he got with one tuned high and the other lower and vowed that someday I would own a set just like it. The silver sparkle outfit in the photo is that kit. The black set in the 2nd pic is my modern day version. Coated Ambassadors on all. Just get out your drum key and tune 'em to your liking.

View attachment 409365

View attachment 409366
Very nice set. Was always on bucket list to own a set of Rogers. I am assuming the first is low and second is higher so it follow the floor tom?

Kenwood

Reaction score
These are some keystone club dates that I rebuilt
starting with the bass and one 12" with original nickle hardware on the batter sides only. They came with a second rs 12" tom that was supposed to be a 13" this second 12" had chrome hardware on the batter side only.
The bass drum had the original rail and upright strap but not the "L" bracket or the connecting bracket and fastening hardware.

At first I had no designs on using the second 12" drum
but out of temporary necessity I used some Japanese parts to hang the one original 12" tom
In the seventies Pearl made an almost exact knock off of the 60's Ludwig rail mount it looks identical and the upper assembly is 100% interchangeable with the Ludwig piece. the only obvious difference was Pearl used a "U" shaped rod instead of the standard "L" shaped Ludwig piece. since by the 70's double mounted drums had become common
I had one of these Pearl rigs hanging around and found that it meshed with my original Ludwig rail mount perfectly.
except now I had an extra unused upright spike that looked pretty odd.
that was when I thought to use the second 12" drum the result was a unique and very clean double tom set up on a club date kit that was traditionally just the one up design. I spent a small fortune on the replacement nickle hardware
but could not be happier with the final outcome

I used Remo coated heads on both drums and also on the floor tom
I tuned one drum higher than the other and the kit sounds great
20190701_155955.jpg
P1010084.JPG

Of course the modification is 100% reversible back to the original one up

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
These are some keystone club dates that I rebuilt
starting with the bass and one 12" with original nickle hardware on the batter sides only. They came with a second rs 12" tom that was supposed to be a 13" this second 12" had chrome hardware on the batter side only.
The bass drum had the original rail and upright strap but not the "L" bracket or the connecting bracket and fastening hardware.

At first I had no designs on using the second 12" drum
but out of temporary necessity I used some Japanese parts to hang the one original 12" tom
In the seventies Pearl made an almost exact knock off of the 60's Ludwig rail mount it looks identical and the upper assembly is 100% interchangeable with the Ludwig piece. the only obvious difference was Pearl used a "U" shaped rod instead of the standard "L" shaped Ludwig piece. since by the 70's double mounted drums had become common
I had one of these Pearl rigs hanging around and found that it meshed with my original Ludwig rail mount perfectly.
except now I had an extra unused upright spike that looked pretty gaff that was when I thought to use the second 12" drum the result was a unique and very clean double tom set up on a club date kit that was traditionally just the one up design. I spent a small fortune on the replacement nickle hardware
but could not be happier with the final outcome

I used Remo coated heads on both drums and also on the floor tom
I tuned one drum higher than the other and the kit sounds great
View attachment 409413View attachment 409414
Of course the modification is 100% reversible back to the original one up
I’m restoring a 1969 club date bass drum, on reso side the bearing edge is not very true, has maple re-rings, I wonder if you had to do anything to your edges and what heads fit your bass? (modern Remo power stroke is very tight)

Kenwood

Reaction score
Hello Kallen The bearing edge on my bass drum most likely could use some attention but was pretty decent for having been exposed for some time
the whole kit sounds great. and no problem with head fit at all
I have a Remo pinstripe on the batter side right now
And no issues with the repro Sgt. Peppers resonant head which if I recall is made by Evans

Last edited: