Tuning Emad Bass Drumhead with Tune-bot

Reaction score
Hey I just got an Emad batter head for my 22” kick and was wondering if you have to tune it differently when using the tunebot because of the rubber foam holder thing on the head. The instructions of the tunebot says to strike the head of the drum about 1 inch from the rim which I always do but that foam thing is on the head so you have to strike the head at least two inches away from rim to get the reading. Is the hz reading different when striking that area? Let’s say I typically tune the bass batter to 70hz, would I still tune to that or would I go higher or lower?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In general, I wouldn't worry too much about the exactness of bass drum tuning, especially with a muffled head. You can get a great round sound just by tightening all t-rods evenly by feel.
If you want to tune it exactly, I would remove the rubber ring for tuning, then put it on again afterwards.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Remove the foam insert and tune, then put it in and see how it sounds. I have found the big foam ring to change the pitch of the drum considerably. It went up in pitch to a place I didn't like. The small one seems to help with a little muffling and removing the errant overtones.

Reaction score
Remove the foam insert and tune, then put it in and see how it sounds. I have found the big foam ring to change the pitch of the drum considerably. It went up in pitch to a place I didn't like. The small one seems to help with a little muffling and removing the errant overtones.
In general, I wouldn't worry too much about the exactness of bass drum tuning, especially with a muffled head. You can get a great round sound just by tightening all t-rods evenly by feel.
If you want to tune it exactly, I would remove the rubber ring for tuning, then put it on again afterwards.
I do remove the foam ring when tuning but was wondering if the note is any different when you strike the head 2 inches from the rim as opposed to 1 inch. Right now I have the Emad on there with a coated non-ported EQ3 on the resonant and I just got an EQ pad that I’ve tried touching both heads with(the kick is only 14” deep) and now I’ve got it pushed all the way against the batter. I didn’t like either sound. The tone is good but it’s too boomy and the beater is bouncing back too much. I want the kick to have good tone but you can also have good control and can lay into it without it bouncing back. I have the batter head tuned lower than the reso. Maybe it’s that. Also, I heard those EQ pads don’t offer enough muffling too. Any thoughts?

Malc

Reaction score
I've just fitted an Emad2 and Emad reso to my 24" Premier Resonator and fine tuned it with the drumpro app,which is pretty much a poor mans tunebot. I made the mistake of tuning it with the large foam ring fitted,which although it worked proved much nicer sounding when I did it without.
IMG_20200425_141537494_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200425_141501129.jpg

Malc

Reaction score
I went with lug frequencies of 77hz batter and 83.5hz on the reso. Fundamental 46hz F#1. I like it but haven't played with the band yet so may bring it up a bit.
I've also got an eq pad but in all honesty, it's no different to stuffing a jumper in there.

Reaction score
I went with lug frequencies of 77hz batter and 83.5hz on the reso. Fundamental 46hz F#1. I like it but haven't played with the band yet so may bring it up a bit.
I've also got an eq pad but in all honesty, it's no different to stuffing a jumper in there.
Cool. I’ll have to try that. I almost went with that reso head you have. They sell the batter and that head as a combo. Do you like it? Yeah, there were a lot of reviews of that EQ pad online of people saying it was useless but a lot of pros use it and it was only $17 so I said what the heck.

Malc

Reaction score
My 24" Resonator has always proven a struggle to get a good sound from but I'm hoping that with the combination of pretty much the entire Emad kit( batter/Reso/EQ pad and beater patch) I'm closer than I've ever been.
I used to have a standard large ported reso with a Remo 2 ply batter and the Emads have made a very noticeable improvement. They both tuned up nicely and evenly too.

Reaction score
My 24" Resonator has always proven a struggle to get a good sound from but I'm hoping that with the combination of pretty much the entire Emad kit( batter/Reso/EQ pad and beater patch) I'm closer than I've ever been.
I used to have a standard large ported reso with a Remo 2 ply batter and the Emads have made a very noticeable improvement. They both tuned up nicely and evenly too.
Yeah I can imagine it would be hard to tune a kick that big. I’ve gotten all new Evans heads for my drums and they all fit the drums better. They lay flat and tune up easy. I always used Remo and might not go back. I have gretsch drums which I heard are made a little larger than most drums so maybe that’s why the Remo’s don’t quite fit.

Malc

Reaction score
I had also always used Remo pinstripes but have just discovered Evans EC2s (batter and reso) which seem to work really well on my old Premier.
IMG_20200508_140342591_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200509_143530512.jpg

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Emad on there with a coated non-ported EQ3 on the resonant
The tone is good but it’s too boomy and the beater is bouncing back too much. I want the kick to have good tone but you can also have good control and can lay into it without it bouncing back.
Herein lies the problem: you need a port to let the air escape to be able to reduce bounce. If the port is off-center and not too big, it still sounds quite full, if only to an outside mic.
If you want unmic'ed boom, you need to let the beater bounce. Those vibrations you're feeling are the sound you use an unported reso for. Maybe tune everything up quite a bit for even faster bounce, might be more workable and sound better unmic'ed.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
Herein lies the problem: you need a port to let the air escape to be able to reduce bounce. If the port is off-center and not too big, it still sounds quite full, if only to an outside mic.
If you want unmic'ed boom, you need to let the beater bounce. Those vibrations you're feeling are the sound you use an unported reso for. Maybe tune everything up quite a bit for even faster bounce, might be more workable and sound better unmic'ed.
4" port works great and you have plenty of room for a mic....Also....if you bury the beater you kinda have to get a port...