Tuning Snare Drum-Should Batter be Higher or Lower Than Reso

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have read many many articles on how to tune a snare and I have many to experiment on with many different heads.
This is more of a curiosity post which might be of interest to DFO members

To be consistent when I test my snares I use a DD, identical heads top and bottom. I also have a tuner.
I set my batter at 89 and my reso at 84 and tune the snare to a G. Usually I get within the ball park so to speak.
If there is a conflict between the DD and my tuner, I will default to the tuner and adjust the batter head till it registers a G.

I would be interested to know if members go for a tighter batter or reso. I never just crank the reso all the way because it does have an effect on how the tuning ends up.

Kind of consider this a poll of sorts.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Most here will say they crank their bottom heads way up. I agree, to a point. I find that snare drums that have shallower snare beds like a higher tuning. The deeper a snare bed is, then a looser tension is required. Older snares and drums that have wrap around snares (concert snare drums) have deeper beds. Most new drums have very minor beds in them these days.

The bottom snare head tension is mostly for snare response. The batter head tuning is for pitch. Find what snare side tension works best for your drum and go from there.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have always tuned the snare reso higher than the batter head, usually a 4th or 5th higher. But I keep my batter in a "medium" range, so I can see where the relationship between the heads would be different if the batter was cranked high.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have read many many articles on how to tune a snare and I have many to experiment on with many different heads.

To be consistent when I test my snares I use a DD, identical heads top and bottom. I also have a tuner.
I set my batter at 89 and my reso at 84 and tune the snare to a G. Usually I get within the ball park so to speak.
If there is a conflict between the DD and my tuner, I will default to the tuner and adjust the batter head till it registers a G.

I would be interested to know if members go for a tighter batter or reso. I never just crank the reso all the way because it does have an effect on how the tuning ends up.

It depends on the sound you want. In my experience, a looser reso head will engage the snare wires more and result in a shorter “rat-a-tat” or “splat” sound. A tighter reso head will resist the snare wires more and result in a longer “thwock” sound. That’s the best I can describe it in words.

Obsessing over the exact pitch of a drum head or a drum is largely unnecessary and unhelpful in my view.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also you probably don't want the same heads top and bottom on a snare drum, same model ok, but not the same exact heads. It seemed like op said same heads top and bottom.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have always tuned the snare reso higher than the batter head, usually a 4th or 5th higher. But I keep my batter in a "medium" range, so I can see where the relationship between the heads would be different if the batter was cranked high.
I use the same method.
All the batters are med. in tension.
Higher tension doesnt give me the sound I want or like.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also you probably don't want the same heads top and bottom on a snare drum, same model ok, but not the same exact heads. It seemed like op said same heads top and bottom.
Believe that to mean same head configuration from test snare to snare. Not identical heads top and bottom on each drum.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like higher turnings for snare. On a new head I'll tune the batter head to a G and the snare head much higher for a short snappier snare sound. By the time I play the first and second gig after installing I end up cranking up the batter to probably an A I'm guessing, I've never checked, by then it holds the tuning pretty well. Also if I start to get a sloppy sound I'll crank the reso head as well. Being careful not to chock the snare. I also like to hear some ring.

sherm

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could be that the snare side sounds higher but registers at a lower tension on a drum dial since it is less than one third of the thickness.
It's exactly so. I often tune the reso to 380 Hz and the batter between 250-290 Hz and the reso is still bit softer than the batter head.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember sitting in on a guys kit and the snare drum sounded amazing. And we talked about tuning and he said " yeah, the bottom is a little lower than the top, for fatness mostly" But man, when I tune, I can never do that. I keep mine crispy. I think some of the rock studio guys tune the bottom lower for the mikes.

It the same with me and tom tuning. I can never have the bottom lower, it's always tighter for the resonance..

So it's a thing... like relatinships, I can't seem to committ to it...

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe that to mean same head configuration from test snare to snare. Not identical heads top and bottom on each drum.
Good, that makes more sense!
I don't have any measuring device to try out you guys tunings or to share mine. Mine sound fairly generic anyway and I like that, but always interested to try out stuff i read about here.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I meant was each drum had the same heads as the next drum.. not that a drum has the same heads on top and bottom

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's exactly so. I often tune the reso to 380 Hz and the batter between 250-290 Hz and the reso is still bit softer than the batter head.
Batter head at 250-290 is very high.. I tune mine to 200 and it registers a G. 250 would be extremely high tuning. Is that your fundamental pitch?

drumdawg

Reaction score

Funny, I too use a drum dial to try and be consistent each time I tune. I am no pro at tuning or playing. And I have almost the exact same settings for snare, 88 on the batter and 83 for reso. I found those by experimenting.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I almost always have the reso tighter than the batter. The exceptions are when I want a fatter sound and tune low. It depends on how long I want the note to be, but it also depends on how the drum reacts to tuning. Some drums are finicky and picky about where they’ll go and others are more versatile.

I stopped using my DD a long time ago and went back to tuning by ear and feel. What I notice about the DD is people tend to get stuck in repeated settings for their snares instead of exploring the drum in front of them.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Batter head at 250-290 is very high.. I tune mine to 200 and it registers a G. 250 would be extremely high tuning. Is that your fundamental pitch?
No, it's not that high. It's the note that the batter heads gives about an inch from each lug. As a result the fundamental note for the drum as a whole is very close to 200 Hz.