Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost last time we played this game...

over this one..

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALF... I think I remember it being Vinnie Colaiuta but dont quote me on that.

First season... FAST

Later seasons...slow!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Funk version of this show was best

Why am I thinking Bernard Purdie is playing the drums there?
Probably not - why? (And this just a whole lot of fitting the pieces together - meaning guessing on my part...) :cool:

OK - I believe Starsky and Hutch had 3 or 4 different themes - year one was by Mark Snow (very action cop show vibe) - year two was a whole shift in tome to this happy funk thing, which was written and performed by saxophonist Tom Scott.

Making this about 1976.

If it had been a year or two earlier - I would have guessed John Guerin (The two did LA Express together, the Joni Michell stuff)

But '76 was the year of the somewhat popular "Tom Scott - New York Connection" album - where LA mainstay Scott basically abandoned the LA Express thing to make a solo record with all of the new hip guys in New York. It featured the whole CTI Records crew - Richard Tee, Eric Gale, Gary King, Ralph McDonald and of course, Steve Gadd.

Which would be my guess, for sure. The timeline and circumstances make a lot of sense - and then when you listen to that "verse groove" with the anticipated "2" on the snare with the little 32nd note flurries before it - it really really sounds like Gadd. Specifically check out the section around :56.... Gadd, right?

And sure many folks might play that sort of thing now - but in '76? On a big TV theme written by the the guy you just made an album with??? Again just a big calculated guess - but it is probably Gadd.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
We had a big thread on all of this a few years ago - and there was a great YouTube channel that had tons of great info on it - it is long gone sad to say - so here's a cut and paste of a post I made back then... (It actually lists Rick Marrota as drums on Starsky with Gadd on perc - which I don't buy - but interesting anyway)

<<<<<
In poking around google about this topic I stumbled on a handful of videos - just go to YouTube and search for "who played that theme" - which produced complete personnel listing for this giant list of themes. Many of the drummer credits were no surprise - but others were definitely more so.

Lost in Space - John Williams, composer; Shelly Manne, drums; Emil Richards and Larry Bunker, perc

Starsky and Hutch - Tom Scott, composer; Rick Marotta, drums; Steve Gadd and Ralph McDonald, perc.

Mary Tyler Moore - Pat Williams, composer; John Guerin, drums; again Emil and Larry, perc

Magnum P.I. - Mike Post, composer; Mike Baird, drums; Jeff Gerson, perc

CHiPs - John Parker, composer; Steve Schaeffer, drums

Gilligan's Island - Shelly Manne, drums

The Odd Couple - and there it is - Earl Palmer, drums

Ironside - Quincey Jones, composer; Earl Palmet, drums

The Flintstones - Alvin Stoller, drums

Quincy, M.E - Steve Schaeffer, drums

The Rockford Files - Mike Baird, drums (as expected)

The Jeffersons - Ed Greene, drums

Sanford and Sons - Quincey, composer; James Gadson, drums

Fame - Yogi Horton, drums

Three's Company - Hal Blaine, drums

Welcome Back Kotter - Jeff Porcaro, drums

The Golden Girls - Jeff again on drums

Brady Bunch - Earl Palmer

Mork and Mindy - Harvey Mason, drums

I Dream of Jeannie - Earl Palmer, drums

Wild Wild West - brush solos - Joe Porcaro!!

Barney Miller - John Guerin

Top Cat (cartoon) - Alvin Stoller

Knot's Landing - J.R. Robinson (though I did play on the pilot - :) though not on the theme - :-( )

Mission Impossible - again, Earl Palmer; Ken Watson and Emil Richards, perc. and Adolfo (Chino) Valdes on bongos

And that's a credit that rarely ever shows up correctly - which really makes me think that whoever has put these together is working from some pretty accurate source information.

Anyway - this person has upwards of 150 of these posted - so that's it for me, I'm going to peruse the rest later. What a treasure trove of info though.>>>>>>

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This came into my YT feed. I really dig library music, and there is a lot here, and it's good.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
they had about one minute to tell a story and plant a melody that would have you singing along. that is no mean feat.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
somewhere in my collection of 45s is the SWAT them

This is one of my modern day (ok not so modern) faves...might not have real drum though....I think